1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 12, 2022.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted Mahomes over Watson! I was so pissed when Reid jumped ahead of us and snagged him. Watson will never be as good as Mahomes. His ego and creep factor will always be bigger though. It wouldn't surprise me if he tears an ACL again for the third time in the next year or two. It also wouldn't surprise me if his predatory stalking turns to rape.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not necessarily he also like Tua coming out the draft and he’s not huge QB

raining threes likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Do you think Mahomes would have been as good as he is with Bill Obrien as his tutor? I have always felt that Watson with Reid would have also brought KC a championship and we would be in a better place with Mahomes in terms of having a franchise type QB, but then you have to deal with the elephant in the room that this franchise is so poorly ran that maybe even the very best talent(s) wont ever be enough when the decision makers a the top are so bad at their job.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No, he wouldn't have done as well. That being said, he has more talent than Watson, in his ability to get that ball to guys under pressure, and from all possible angles. He also hasn't torn two ACLs like Watson. He was the best pick that year. We missed out. We got screwed twice. First, by Andy's trading up, for Mahomes, and then again by Watson signing that contract extension. Watson might do well in Cleveland, but he will always be a creep and a guy you can't depend on or trust. That's the other traits. Mahomes doesn't have all those flaws, and makes a much better leader on any team.

Verbal Christ and raining threes like this.
  6. raining threes

I would love liked to have been able to find out. BOB wanted Mahomes over Watson.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Fire Lovie
    Fire Peo
    Bench Mills

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats all fine, and I agree Mahomes is a better QB in a perfect situation for him, but lets just get away from our personal feelings about Watson the creep and stick to the player. Watson has way more pocket presence than Mahomes when he's at his best. His ability to avoid the rush and create off script is just as good as Mahomes IMO. Watson never had the type of wideouts Pat had to start his career and still found himself as one of the best in the business. It will be something to pay attention to when Watson resumes his playing career and how the time off will impact his skills. Its hard to just stop doing your job and then be expected to be as good or better after such a lengthy absence, but if he's as good as he was with Houston he will flourish with CLE. His knee injuries were not much of an issue for him here when he came back to form so while a valid concern Im not sure how much it should be weighted against him.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would everybody be ok firing Lovie after one year to hire demeco??

ROCKSS and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

We will never agree. I don't think Watson will ever be as good as Mahomes. Ever! He just can't escape pressure as well without getting sacked or fumbling the ball. Mahomes is much better at improvising to get that ball to anyone within reach. Watson's ACL injuries of the past show he's not as durable either. You can continue to root for creep boy, but I never will.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Demeco is one of my all time favorite Texans, I’d love to have him as coach

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm sure most fans would welcome it so Texans might not get that much of “bad press”

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

But both of these guys are in about the same territory of fumbles? Sure Watson averages more due to less playing time but the raw numbers are comparable. To use that as leverage just seems to be more about your distaste for him as a human. Both of these guys are who you want to lead a team in terms of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives. Deshaun Watson was a magician in the backfield. He was not kept as clean as Mahomes was and had to be the best in escaping pressure due to that. Sure Mahomes is super crafty, he can evade and get out on the run where he's the best at angles with his arm talent and throwing on the gallop, but keep it real about Watson THE PLAYER.

No need to get all emotional and huffy puffy. Im trying to have a genuine discussion about the PLAYERS, but to each their own

Deshaun Watson the HUMAN is a piece of sht. I can follow along with that sentiment, but can also separate my emotions from logical discussion and nothing that I talk about should signal that Im still rooting for him.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. raining threes

Disagree, Mahomes is much better operating from the pocket than Watson is. I can make an argument that Watson had just as good of receivers as Mahomes had. Hopkins/WFV aren't chopped liver. Coaching, yes Reid is a better HC, offensive mind, but BOB's offense allowed Watson to lead the NFL in passing so Watson was in a very QB friendly offense. I see you're already making excuses for him if he doesn't play well after his suspension is done. Personally I dont care about the score I hope Watson the pervert leaves NRG on a stretcher. That will be a win in my book.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't get cuts like this, you gave him a guarantee so you have to pay him regardless, you cant find something for him to do, I never thought he was great, hell not even very good but he isn't trash and we don't have lots of options to catch the ball

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Mahomes is better at navigating the pocket. Watson is better at escaping pressure inside the pocket. Mahomes is better at escaping pressure outside of the pocket and is more elusive outside of the pocket as well. Watson is a faster straight line runner than Mahomes.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member