1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They will let Nix be the default backup PG. But I think it's possible that TyTy will take his job mid-season.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Bro got even fatter from Summer League. and probably a lot slower.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Jabari is the defender we need but unless he turns into a Kawhi level player or Gobert on defense, we really drafted too high for a defensive minded player.

Jury is still out on his 3pt shot in games. I hope he can shoot like he did in college as we badly need a stretch 4.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

He has been an elite shooter since early high school, in games. You are worried about a cold streak during 4 games in summer league? Steph Curry shot 34% from 3 over a full two month stretch last season. It happens, esp to a nervous 19 year old.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Jabari was by many considered to be the number 1 pick. And that was not because of his defense. His defense was always: oh and he is also a pretty good defender - it was never the focal point when talking about him. That was always his shooting at his size. He was the first option on his team and he was scoring more than most of the other top picks.

Sure to reach his potential he needs to improve his shot creation ability - just like every other draft pick has some major skill they need to improve. But his floor already seems to be a great 3&d player. We only drafted to high, if the guys that were drafted right behind him will be significantly better.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

But he has a great chance to be that level. He’s also a generation shooter at his size. You’re taking SL way to serious. There’s something called nerves that makes it hard to shoot when you’re only 19

9. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Scottie Barnes was a defensive mind player when drafted and ended up being better then everyone thought and won roty.

#1989 KingSamJack, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Who?

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Scottie Barnes

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don't recall ever seeing a young player, who was not a 7-foot shotblocker, make such an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball.

Usually, the game's speed cripples young players. They struggle to rotate, let alone get in a good defensive stance. But Jabari is a different animal. His use of length, body positioning, and ability to stay connected and contest shots is ideal for how the NBA has evolved.

His size and overall athleticism set him apart from traditional plus-effort defenders. Usually, skilled offensive players rely on getting to their spot and shooting over someone like Shane Battier or P. J. Tucker. But that approach is a losing proposition against Jabari.

Scorers like Tyler Herro or even Jimmy Butler will have to go over their scouting report and think about their new counters once Jabari makes a late switch.

Granted, Jabari will have a few issues when he faces elite quicker players on an island. But that's going to be the exception. As he grows into his body and gets more experience, the sky will be the limit. And in time, we'll see his fluid, steady jump shot return, once he adds the necessary range and become more comfortable with the game's speed on offense. Just be patient. The two-way impact is coming.

For now, let's enjoy watching Jabari lead the Rockets into a new level of defense, covering up mistakes and inspiring effort.

13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I am glad we got our guy with Jabari, I am very excited for this season.

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I love hearing how great Tari, Jabari and Gordon played together but the fact that they crushed last year's squad concerns me a bit on the improvement and to some degree the actual overall talent we got with those guys. If Tari and Co won that's great but it should have been close.

D-rock likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Honestly why would the Thunder choose Chet over Jabari

SGA,Giddey,Jabari would’ve been a nice core in itself to build around

Almost as bad as them not keeping Harden

Sonicbun8 and Zen Tabak like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? 6-10 Rashard Lewis players with defense don't grow on trees. We are lucky he was even there at 3.

As for his shot Jabari was seen as one of the best if not the best big man shooter in his class. It's not like he had "potential" in college shooting was his bread and butter and what made him a top 3 pick. I personally wouldn't worry about it Rox are a couple of years away from contending so he has all the time to acclimate his shot for the pros, I mean look at Lou Dort if he can go from 0 shot to 33% 3 pt shooter then Jabari can become an elite shooter in the NBA.

In fact it would be better big picture if the entire team sucked ass again we might end up with Wemby or Scoot.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

If healthy Chet had the highest ceiling in the entire class that's why. He is also the "unicorn" of this class and that's the only thing OKC GM wants since he keeps picking these types of players like Giddey, Pokusevski, Chet and Ousmane Dieng.

I honestly think they messed up though Diabete looks much better than Jaylin WIlliams and Tari Eason looks better than Dieng.

Sonicbun8 and Corrosion like this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I expect Jabari will have this type of impact on the Defensive end with a much bigger impact on Offense. For a rookie, that's huge.

Game 1 is a day away. LFG!

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

don’t compare Jabari to a scrub.

Sonicbun8 and maj21 like this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL. For one, Herb's no scrub. For 2, did you even read my take? I know it's long winded and all. All of one sentence. If so, you would know I said "I expect he has the same type of impact on D and a much bigger impact on O". Didn't say overall. Think most would agree. It was more in response to the post stating they could not recall a rookie not having this kind of impact. We're very lucky to have him.