1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After the Preseason........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

After the Preseason, I am wondering if you might suggest the four or five players
    which might not be with The Rockets team anymore, 2022 -2023,
    Either by trades or by just getting rid of ! Y

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same players you listed here…

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/what-will-the-rockets-management-do-with-these-players.316920/

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Burke
    Chriss
    Brown
    Nwaba

i would try to dump them

Jontro and theDude like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Done and done.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't expect KPJ to make the roster

Jontro likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Money might work but ...

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The actually doesn't work, it's off by $354,280 ... with the Rockets being short that amount in outgoing salary - yes, it's an easy fix.

This twitter dude posts some of the dumbest trades I've seen .... like why the hell do we want to take on Tobias $39,270,150 contract for 2023 unless they are giving us multiple #1 picks as compensation for wrecking our cap and giving up the opportunity to add two max players to the group we already have ..... which could be an instant contender in 2023.

And it's not kicking the can down the road to 2023 FA because at that point Jalen Green becomes extension eligible. Yes, you can still spend the cap space and extend Jalen but you suck for another season and probably send OKC a quality draft pick & you are year closer to the repeater tax at the same time.

theDude, cmoak1982 and J.R. like this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The okc pick is a sunk cost, makes no difference if it’s 1 or 30. If philly throws in a distant unprotected first i would do that trade in a heartbeat

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure, for a "distant unprotected first" but we're talking about a deal with Daryl Morey .... You aren't getting an unprotected pick & they can't trade a pick until 2029.
    I'd take that 2029 pick if it were offered but I just don't see EG & Favors as being enough value for them to give up a pick that far in the future, much less an unprotected pick.

It's totally unrealistic just like trading EG for 5 players to make the money work during the season when the Rockets have no open roster spots to absorb those players.

Hey the money almost works .....

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Well that depends how philly values having potential cap space next season, how much that’s worth to them. I also doubt they would do it, and without a pick I wouldn’t even consider it

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not to be rude (just factual) .... but you are really helping make my point.

Philly is $47m over the cap right now and an estimated $70m over next season. Dumping Harris does them no good on that front, other than reduce the tax bill.

You made that statement (future cap space) without knowing the numbers behind it, much like the random twitter dude above.

We really have to be careful what information we treat as factual from those twitter people because very often they are posting something just to post content - they have nothing to post but they post to stay "active" and quite often those posts are either a fraction of the truth (55/114=.482) or just as in the case above, throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

#12 Corrosion, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    astrosrule, DaDakota and J.R. like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How is it a sunk cost? It's top 4 protected, if we still suck bad then there is still a chance to keep it.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s not super likely we will still be THAT bad though, and that would be a 4th year of full tanking. Most people won’t be up for that since even if we’re the worst team, still 50/50 we lose the pick

ElPigto likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You are correct, i did not look at their cap sheet just went off memory, my fault. Looking at the sheet, they can’t get under the cap without harden walking and renouncing all their cap holds which isn’t realistic. Dumping harris’s 40 though would make trading for someone more viable though, but would like require maxey which idk if they would do.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"This twitter dude" is highly respected poster @Deuce.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, I think they have to try and win starting in that season as it's playing with fire whether or not you send OKC really good draft pick .... that's why cap space is so important after this season. Taking on big salary that doesn't produce is counter productive to that goal.
    They'll be able to add somewhere between $55m & $65m in salary to the roster and not lose a single meaningful player .... along with next years draft.

Get that right and they could be the team to beat for the next decade.

Stone really set this rebuild up well despite being handcuffed by the Westbrook trade.

There's been lots of mention of adding Myles Turner via trade - He's UFA, you can add him in FA and still add another player of similar cost.