1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

We’ll see who’s right this season. Y’all obviously don’t see what I see. Maybe I’m wrong. I do think he has star upside, I just don’t like players like him in today’s game. If he’s at a jokic mvp level, then I’m on board. Like I said before, I don’t even like Sabonis either. Those guys are hard to build around. I’d rather us build around Jalen. I want you to be right about all of this

DrNuegebauer and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re assuming I want to build around Alp, I don’t want to build around anyone. I don’t think Green is the type to build around either. I think they fit together really well and the team as a whole can be good. Green has superstar potential imo. But not top 5 in the game (hope he does though) I think Alp and Smith fit his strengths very well. People talk about spacing like Alp won’t help, the dude is an elite passer out of the high post, and is a great screener. That makes it super easy on Green if he moves without the ball.

Drift Monkey and aaquaa like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also don’t think Alp can be Jokic, Jokic is special (and the dude carried a bad team to a very good record last year).
    He will win a ring imo.

Alp ceiling is probably somewhere around a better defending Sabonis, that’s a solid number 2 or 3 piece imo.

Drift Monkey and maj21 like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Sengun can't be Jokic because Jokic is HUGE. You can learn to shoot, dribble, and even pass. Being physically big however... that's something no one can learn.

5. maj21

maj21 Member

I agree about Jalen, I don’t even think he’ll be a top 10 player. A better defender Sabonis would be nice. I guess I just want more of a Jarrett Allen type at the 5. Just a guy who just flat out erase shots at the rim.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, this is one thing for sure. But I think he will be similar to Jokic in the sense that offensively he will be very good with a different style, and defensively he will be better than expected, at least an average defender. These are smart guys, and smart guys are rarely bad defenders. Yes, size and quickness are issues to worry about but two things to keep in mind are

1) We have not seen him with full body strength yet
    2) He is not very short for his position, and wants to play D

So if he plays correctly, he will be an average defender for sure.

Sengun won't be Sabonis either, he is way ahead in the developmental curve. Sengun's first year is similar to Sabonis's 2nd year, Alpi being 2 years younger. And Sabonis never developed a 3pt shot.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...rfrom=2022&player_id2=sabondo01&p2yrfrom=2018

If he can add a few more tricks to his playset, by the end of this year we'll see that he is in a different level offensively compared to Sabonis.

One main question is the fit, or whether Rockets will play to his strengths and make him a core piece of the offense? Building around Jokic is easier because his handling is better and he can play as 1 in offense. I don't think Sengun can ever do that.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Alp has for sure grown. He’s at minimum a legit 6’10 now. With a 7’1/7’2 wingspan. That’s not huge for a center but not small either. Really good size for a 4

Drift Monkey and aaquaa like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The above pic is from yesterday’s practice. Tari measured at 6’8 in shoes at the combine. Alp is significantly taller there.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

In that pic Alpi's a legit 7-ft.er!

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think he’s probably a legitimate 6’10/6’11

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Why not be thankful Alpi can't be a Kosta Koufos because he's not 7 feet tall?
    He will never be a Meyers Leonard, Alexis Ajinca, Shawn Bradley or a Robert Traylor - boo hoo.

Why not see Alpi's own upsides instead of comparing him to the Joker?
    It's quite possible that he will grow out of his Baby Jokic image even towards the end of this upcoming season.

13. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Yup. I think it's the loose-wristed T-Rex impression that damaged his image the most.
    His posture seems to be straighter compared to last season.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

because I don’t compare him to Jokic? Other ppl do, I just tell them how he won’t.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Why are people comparing Sengun to Jokic? I don't see similarities between the two. I think Sengun has his own style. But Sengun's post moves does remind me a little of Luis Scola.

maj21 likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both are fantastic passing big men.

But the real Jokic comparison should go to Boban. He had 2 assists in 6 minutes. That amounts to 12 assists in 36 minutes. If only clueless Silas would play him starter minutes!

maj21, aaquaa, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because If folks don't have a direct line comparison for a unique player, their ability to analyze the game crumbles. Players that exist out of their pre-determined blueprint get cast aside and thrown in the trade machine for Mo Bamba.

Many great players do not have direct-line comparisons, and Alperen Sengun has a chance to be great.

Also, comparing Sabonis to Sengun is lazy.

D-rock, Drift Monkey, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun hater go get yourself a booster shot cause clearly the vaccine still isnt working

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hhah thank you! what an OWNAGE!

Drift Monkey likes this.