1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rays @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

9-30 Drew Rasmussen (R) vs. Framber Valdez (L) 7:10

10-1 Shane McClanahan (L) vs. Cristian Javier (R) 6:20 FOX only

10-2 Corey Kluber (R) vs. Luis Garcia (R) 1:10

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Last week of the regular season. Garcia's start is interesting. McCullers skipping a turn or still sick? Line ups from here on out should be interesting as well. Dusty's regulars?

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Meyers has tremendous pressure on him. I hope he handles it well.

I think everyone this side of Dusty hopes he performs like 2021 Jake and is the playoff starter.

I fully expect him to start today but off tomorrow.

Chas deserves the start vs the lefty anyway.

He will either have a good game and then use tomorrow as a " work day" before returning to the lineup Sunday to continue building his case

Or he has a poor game and Dusty sits him at the back of the bench and plays Dubon.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rays fans are happy the Orioles are playing the Yankees and then the Blue Jays. Valdez, Javier, and Garcia would be a lot scarier if the Rays actually needed to win.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope Dusty doesn't mess around. Play your normal lineup, win a couple more games, lock up the 2nd best record in MLB, and then rest everyone if you want.

But don't let this drag out into the final series of the season vs the Phillies, cuz they still have to beat out Milwaukee for a wild card berth.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Normal?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Chandler Rome on Twitter: "Dusty Baker said this is the final scheduled off day of the regular season for his everyday guys. He plans on playing his regulars against the Rays and Phillies, both of whom are vying for playoff spots, “for the integrity of the game.”" / Twitter

8. count_dough-ku

Yes, Altuve and Yordan sat the other night. The latter I was perfectly fine with since he rolled his ankle the night before. But we can't be missing 2 of our best hitters vs the Rays.

9. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I hope this gives the Astros a puncher's chance at 108 wins and the team record

10. Buck Turgidson

They're 2 games back (and own tiebreaker) of Toronto for the best WC record and 3 games at home in the 1st round. They're absolutely wanting/trying/needing to win.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  11. count_dough-ku

Yeah, the Rays still want to win games. But Philly could really be going all out next week just to get into the playoffs. They finish the season with 7 straight on the road(4 vs the Nationals and 3 vs the Astros). The Brewers meanwhile have 6 games left all at home vs the Marlins and Diamondbacks. And they're only a half game back of the Phillies.

So best to have the home field advantage situation resolved by the time this Tampa Bay series is over.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

As fans, we don't care whether we win our way in or the opponent let's us back in to an advantage. I really don't know how players feel.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've never heard the "stuck in the clay" explanation before. But I wonder if that means he DHs for the next two series?

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Say what

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They can absolutely try/want/need to win more than anyone else, but that still doesn't change that they are playing the Astros.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so if Astros win or Yankees lose today, they would not have another meaningful game until Oct. 11?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Depends on one's POV. I have tickets for the October 2nd game so that game is meaningful for me. Phillies probably think their games are meaningful.

18. Buck Turgidson

Philly's in the midst of a pretty epic meltdown. You hate to see it happen to the fine upstanding sportsfans of that city. Gonna check out their game here in a few and see what their broadcast sounds like.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

Man I'm going to feel really (not) sad for the Phillies after the Astros crush their playoff hopes. I'm sure it'll give their fans another reason to hate on the Astros. But atleast their fans can still yell at Altuve through the TV on the coach.