1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup Will Anderson is the consensus top player in the draft. Team needs will determine whether he goes #1 overall but would be the no-brainer otherwise.

Overall I like the top of this draft class. Outside of Trevor Lawrence, I like Anderson, Stroud and Young over any of the top players drafted the past two drafts.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ever since Clowney I get scared of D-line so high in the draft.

Nick Bosa
    Quinnen Williams
    Collin Ferrell
    Chase Young
    Aidan Hutchinson
    Kayvon

All recently selected D lineman top 5

My questions if we where to take Anderson 1st overall would be…

Is he a culture changer? - We’ve heard that word a lot recently and I would be wondering is Anderson the type of defensive player to have such an impact that he completely changes the culture here in Houston?? I must add tho being paired with players like Stingley and Pitre help.

Can he / will he uplift a whole city starving for some kind of real success? - We all want a winner we all want hope we all need something or somebody to be like yep that’s the guy that’s going to take this team places..imo it’s very hard for a defensive lineman to have that kind of impact but damn JJ was close.

Lastly…Can he recruit or attract FAs and other players to want to come to Houston? - Again it’s very hard imo for a defensive lineman to have that kind of impact on a organization.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Did any of those players change the culture of their team, the way DeShaun changed the Texans or the way Herbert changed the Chargers or the way Lamar changed the Ravens or the way Mahommes changed the Chiefs?

Pick a QB

Omihall23 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Did any of those players change the culture of their team, the way DeShaun changed the Texans or the way Herbert changed the Chargers or the way Lamar changed the Ravens or the way Mahommes changed the Chiefs?

Pick a QB

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

LFG!!!

Fulgore likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. JJ and Aaron Donald are the closest we have seen as of late IMO but think it’s difficult any position outside of QB to have the type of impact we want from a #1 overall pick.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. raining threes

I know this would be hiring 3 HC's in 3 yrs and it's not going to happen, but I would hire Mike Kalfka in a heartbeat to become the next HC of the Texans and I like Lovie a lot. Kalfka is a McVay in waiting. IMHO

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

@Rudyc281 what do you think of UCLA qb?Destroying Washington right now

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Meh

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a late round prospect, maybe UDFA. Solid athlete, below average arm talent. Specially deep and outside the hashes.

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think we should also be thinking about the age of these prospects. Will Levis is 2 and a half years older than CJ Stroud and 2 years older than Bryce Young. I like his game, but I’m a bit concerned that he may already be much closer to his ceiling than the other 2 guys.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve said as much, that’s my only concern with Levis. But he also hasn’t played as much as the other two, they are what they are. Levis still has more upside, Penn St used him as a Taysom Hill like gadget. He hasn’t had much time developing QB skills, he’s evolved really fast.

Also, it’s not 2 1/2 years over Stroud

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really that’s my issue with Stroud, he’s not a physical attribute guy. There isn’t much meat left on that bone. He’s a guy that has QB skills, accuracy and decision making. Which is great, but there isn’t much upside projection. He is what he is.
    Bryce Young has more physical attributes outside of his size, to me he has more growth in him. But if you tell me there’s a guy with better arm, size and running ability than Young in Levis, he’s going to be the more intriguing prospect.

#95 cmoak1982, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Some of us including myself wanted Mills to be the guy so this rebuild could of got sped up but that isn’t the case anymore.

While I’ve been on the Bryce hype train I’m kind of going the other way now and thinking about Caserio just accumulating as much talent as possible now. Because this team is still devoid of talent.

That includes taking Anderson if given the chance and some much needed skill players.

I feel like Bryce and even CJ for that matter are franchise guys but looking at the team as a whole we are still devoid of talent…we got much better players then last year but we still got a ways to go.

We accumulate as much talent as possible and we still have plenty of resources to acquire a QB if needed.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

2 years and 3 months is close enough. I think we're over valuing Will Levis' running ability. Yes he can run, but he's not really fast. While I think he's the closest to Josh Allen physically, Josh Allen has him beat in every physical measurement. He's taller, weighs more, has a stronger arm, and is a better runner. This is why I think it's important to consider his age so much, because where they are mentally in terms of processing matters. Will Levis throws interceptions at a high rate so, but I give him alot of credit for playing with inferior talent. His line is a mess and his receivers are just ok. Bryce Young's current receivers aren't great either. CJ Stroud has always had amazing receivers, so as accurate as he is, it's hard to project how great he'll be when his receivers aren't always open.

At the end of the day I'd be happy with any of the three, any there's still plenty of college football left to continue evaluating.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a fair assessment I think. Levis will probably run a faster time than Allen, that doesn’t mean game speed though. Levis is probably a 4.6 guy with a lot of wiggle for a big guy. He’s faster than Young or Stroud and a lot stronger. And yes. He’s not on Allen’s level completely but he’s not far off in any category, Levis will still have elite arm in the NFL, elite running ability, and well above average size.
    Age is a concern, but I think Burrow coming out at his age has taken some of that fear away.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think there's a danger in assuming that you'll always be in position to get a top qb. People are like just wait for 2024. Well we don't actually know if the 2024 qb prospects are going to be any better than this year's. On top of that, if the team is significantly improved next year through the draft and our massive cap space in free agency, our pick won't be nearly as high and Deshaun is playing all of next year so the Cleveland pick won't be high. It's a major gamble, because you may not even have the resources to get a top qb. On top of those factors, by 2024, all the teams who picked qbs last year should know whether they need to get another qb or not, so that would make it even harder. Getting a qb in free agency isn't easy either and is no guarantee. The best option for a rebuilding team is not to tie up the team's financial resources on a veteran qb, when that money could be used to bolster the entire roster which sorely needs it.

20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think Young is faster than Levis and quicker than him too, but he's a much smaller player. I think Young is a high 4.5 to low 4.6 guy, Levis is a high 4.6 to low 4.7 guy, Stroud is a high 4.7 to low 4.8 guy. Levis will probably be the most effective runner in the NFL, because right now Levis' overall team is so bad around him that he doesn't get much open room to run. I do like Levis a great deal and I'll be watching his game today. I think it's important given his age to get a full sense of overall story. I also agree that he still has an elite arm, I'm not ready to give him elite running ability, and at over 230 lbs, he's obviously physically superior. I thought it was crazy that people were raving so heavily about Anthony Richardson, who is a better runner than Levis, but has no where near the passing ability outside of raw arm strength. When they were on the field together, Richardson didn't even look like a QB.