1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ok now this got my attention

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Qan

Qan Member

Caserio will be stupid to not draft Anderson because a placement coach doesn't do something or whatever. #1 you draft Anderson.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I also mentioned that not really sure about Caserio using a 1st overall pick on a D-lineman.

Especially if he is high on Young or Stroud

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It's tough to say who is and isn't a franchise QB sometimes. WAS drafted RGIII and Cousins in the same draft, and who's had the better career?

I read this article yesterday on Levis... https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-qb-unnoticed-transfer-top-nfl-draft-prospect

When folks invoke names like Favre and Josh Allen to describe Levis, I listen, but also want to see him more with my own eyes. Not just the highlights, but the low lights as well. If he keeps it up, maybe he is the #1 pick. I need to do more homework and work hasn't let me have much fun lately.

Back to your question, yes I'd take him if he was best value because we really don't know (except for a few true studs) who is going to be a franchise QB.

gucci888 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Like Favre and Allen, the tools are there.
    He takes chances and they can come back to bite him.
    A lot of his interceptions have been on the receivers, some him being too aggressive.
    The thing that worries me most is he’s a violent runner who initiates contact, even being a big guy that’s worrisome.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

If he's a violent runner, that can be coached out...or he'll naturally stop when he gets laid the fck down by a lineman.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You would hope lol, but some of these runners don’t learn.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've always cringed when coaches say we're a running team. The game has evolved and sophisticated offenses mix the run game to augment the passing game, not the other way around. I understand they want to control the ball/time, but smart coaches know how to do this. Whether its McDaniel in MIA or Peterson in JAX, it's not about young or old--it's about innovating. We're not innovating. The adage "innovate or die" is so true in business and sports. Here's a good article that Caserio needs to read to remind himself of his roots... https://businessmagazinegainesville.com/innovate-die-trendy-saying-absolutely-true/

The formula in that article is straightforward... "To be successful in the future, the rate of internal innovation must exceed the rate of external innovation.”

We're not there.

9. Qan

Qan Member

Oh they'll learn as a QB...a couple pile drives and heavy shots to body and legs. If not, he can hang out with RG3 at the booth.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for those insights @cmoak1982. He's apparently taken a lot of hits this year. Hopefully, he learns like Allen and others when to finish strong and when to slide. He's on my radar now, btw thanks to you, so I'll try to watch Kentucky some this year.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, their Oline is a little suspect and the run game is weak.
    He still makes plays but he has been getting hit a lot, and he also takes hits he shouldn’t.

He’s an intriguing physical prospect, who also happens to be smart and maniacal in his approach.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Qan

Qan Member

What is Levis projected draft position? Hope he can last till Brown's pick...if nothing else, gives Texans an option.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There are never great qb prospects when the Texans pick high smh

raining threes, Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s climbing, have seen as high as #1 and as low as 20s.
    I personally still think Browns pick somewhere around 9-13

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s the thing Caserio is really really smart and not just football wise but business wise as well.

He’s done interviews for the Sloan conference before and if you pay attention to some of his interviews relating to the Texans organization he always brings up other Fortune 500 companies and how football organizations should be treated in the same manner.

He is also very very into analytics and also has a great balance of real football situations and analytics.

That is why I know Lovie was not his hire Lovie is who he is as a coach…but Caserio is still supporting him by trying to give him the players he likes and players who could fit into his system.

Same with Pep…Caserio let Pep hire his coaches and what not.

Now I’m not saying they are going to be one and done coaches but best believe these are not the guys that will be here “long term” we are still early in the rebuild and soon Caserio will hire his guys.

So the innovative creative analytical and football smart guys you want both offensively and defensively will soon come.

I have my eyes on 3 guys

Joe Brady - who apparently hit his interview out the park but was hesitant with the whole Watson situation and we all saw how that turned out.

Josh McCown no explanation needed

Frank Ross my dark horse candidate he’s currently the special teams coordinator but goes way back with Caserio back to scouting and personnel department with Caserio in New England.

And he’s also from the same alma mater and even coached there.

He is also from Ohio

Shark44, Qan and raining threes like this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Depends on what you consider "great." Is there a Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck level prospect? No. But Stroud, Young and Levis is a really good group of top prospects IMO.

Add in Will Anderson and the Texans will likely have an extremely tough decision to make.

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

My point proven. Good….not great. There’s never a consensus when we have a top pick.

Not only QB but any position player.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Will Anderson is one of the best prospects in years

19. Qan

Qan Member

Frank Ross is definitely interesting...considering the only good thing going for the Texans is their special teams.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yep

Especially with his background in scouting and front office.

Also several NFL coaches have been special teams coaches and became head coaches like John Harbaugh