1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL.

No one is going to admit to this for sure.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

4. basso

Supporting Member

and the creek don't rise.

Nook, Ottomaton and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. basso

Supporting Member

6. basso

Supporting Member

7. Nook

Nook Member

To be clear, I don’t know that a single individual will replace Putin but I do expect a lot of instability and China and the USA both involved in trying to influence the outcome. A lot of people could die and there are nuclear weapons involved that could end up in the hands of who knows who.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good point. I still think Russia is still the main culprit. They play dumb and become the victim. Then they claim that they are ready to send gas but are unable to fix the pipeline because of US sanctions. All the while holding the potential lack of heat for the winter as a fear tactic

The pipelines were already not flowing so I don’t see much advantage of the US being directly behind this.

To you point though, perhaps the Poles could have had a hand in this. They have been smart about breaking energy ties with Russia and they seem to be one of the most aggressively defiant toward Russia. Perhaps they do this to pressure the rest of Europe to step up their game…but that still seems like a reach to me

Ultimately, for me, Russia is a petulant child who tantrums and creates chaos to get what they want. The pipeline sabotage just seems like their style.

When LNG tankers start having “issues”, then that will be the real test

jiggyfly, Andre0087, Timbro and 2 others like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good find. Both the US and Russia have the capability to damage the pipeline, but they are hardly the only country able to do it. Several European nations have advanced submarines that could be used for sabotage. Although it wouldn't have to be accomplished that way, it would be the most covert method. The obvious actor, in my opinion, is Russia for propaganda purposes. Putin's regime is desperate for some way to divide NATO. It's not going to work.

#9110 Deckard, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Wait dude, which side are you on?

Rileydog likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Haha. Might be the Covid cough talking. Am I wrong though about the Oligarchs and the military leaders cutting a deal if they decide to remove Putin?

I do know that Russia has a chain process of Putin orders a nuclear strike that’ll give the military a chance to refuse him in which.. yeah it’s a coup at that point that’s unavoidable. And then then knowing how their parliament and election process works, it’s basically like how Putin is Adam Silver and the oligarchs are all the NBA Owners. Adam Silver has all the power until he doesn’t. One Sarver/Sterling steps out of line and Silver can pull his power card but if all the owners banned together they could send him packing. Maybe that’s over simplifying it but it’s how I understand it to be even though Putin basically made them. It’s very much like an organized crime syndicate.

Correct me if I’m wrong though about how this all might play out… of course if we are hopeful that Russia continues to lose.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Timbro

Timbro Member

It's an effective fear tactic though. Europe needs to figure out gas prices fast at this point. I doubt Poles would do this, but it's an interesting thought though, Poles really hate Russia, but I think it would be too hard to hide such a large scale move(but who knows). Pipeline sabotage looks a lot more like last desperate move by Putin to keep at least some pressure going.

jiggyfly and DonkeyMagic like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There is a 100% chance that the US and Russia know who did this, since they track each other’s subs … that is one of the two did this.

Now if the Russian submariners have been given rifles and sent to Ukraine …

Deckard and basso like this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

there's a new law that gives Putin unilateral authority to launch a nuclear strike.

16. basso

Supporting Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It is obvious that the US did this. I mean, they are coming out and saying it. How brainwashed/naive would you have to be to take the other side of this argument? They literally predicted it and multiple people in-the-know acknowledged it.

basso likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not direct proof. That’s speculation based on incomplete information. As noted when Biden made that statement the German chancellor was with him who said Germany would cooperate
    If it came to that. Why blow up a pipeline when you could just turn it off.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What multiple people in the know and how do you define “in the know?”

Also why are you so eager to blame this on the US?

Ubiquitin likes this.