1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My mom knows famous people...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The older Bushes are friends of my Dad's. My dad is in the current administration so I know a bunch of those guys, but I have never met anyone in the current White House.

We're family friends with Carrol Spinney, who is the guy inside Bird Bird AND Oscar the Grouch. That dude is really cool.

My buddy from college was part of the Chaos Computer Club that hacked NASA in the 80s.

My wife's high school prom date ended up on Buffy the Vampire Slayer as some sort of cyborg.

When I was a kid in the 70s, I was living in Beijing with my Dad and I ran into Lorne Greene, the original Adama. There were not a lot of Americans staying at the Beijing hotel back then so Mr Greene had breakfast with us pretty much every day. (We had peanut butter, which back then was REALLY rare over there.)

I met Clinton in college. The dude is electric.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My mom also swears that Kenny Rogers came to their house to look at horses to buy. Apparently, they knew his sister really well. That was either in Klein or Spring, or that area.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What is your problem with me?

I don't know whether or not to take what you're saying with a grain of salt, or to take it seriously, but I've never done anything to you, so okay....

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

My mother worked at Capitol Records in the 1960's, so she met a lot of famous recording artists. Plus, she handed out the paychecks so everyone liked her. She met the Beatles (Paul was very quiet, Lennon very friendly), and the Beach Boys offered to play her wedding reception (she never did ask if they were serious or not, but she didn't take them up on their offer). Adam West and Burt Ward (the original Batman and Robin, for all you youngsters) did attend her wedding. I've got the guest book to prove it.

As for myself, I haven't met that many famous people. Mike Munchak came to my register when I worked at a Waldenbooks. I met Snoop Dogg on Super Bowl weekend when the SB was in town (his semipro team played mine). He was surprisingly nice. Met Bum Phillips at a recycling plant when I was a kid. He had a horse trailer full of Lone Star beer cans he was bringing in. Talked football with Ray Childress for about 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago at the fantasy draft party 610 sponsored. Met a few Rockets when I was in high school, since they liked to play at the Second Baptist gym. Probably a couple that I can't remember right off hand.

5. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

I am Milla Jovovich.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

My mum worked with Nelson Mandela on several Arts/Cultural events between South Africa and Nigeria a little while after he got released from prison.

I met Amare stoudamire on/after a flight from phoenix to LA 3 years ago, I then proceeded to ask him if he was Shawn Marion.

Back in College some years back, i covered the mavs for a magazine and after the first practice i attended, I was looking for someone on the team i became cool with and Cuban told me to look for him in the lockerroom, i get in there and Don Nelson see's me, 6'2 black guy, and asks if i'm one of he's new point guards,(this was right after they signed Terry). Also met all the Mavs-since i covered them, and a few milwaukee bucks and kings players, and a few other nba players.

Met Domanick Davis in August before the barcelona match at reliant stadium, i asked how he's knee was holding up and if he was ready for the season, to make us forget about reggie bush, he then proceeded to lie to me for 2 mins about how he's knee was better than ever and all that crap.

Met David Beckham in New York last summer when the English national team were in town to play Colombia. fantastic guy, tons of bodyguards, and tons of paparazzi tailing him everywhere, it was an insane atmosphere.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Met Eminem at the airport. Got some pics with him. Nice guy

Met Jay-Z at a Tyson fight years ago. Not as tall as I thought he was.
    Although his entourage was about 20 people.

Joseph Lieberman once looked at me funny in the Charlotte Airport.

Sat next the wrestler Steve Austin on a flight to Vegas.

Saw Pierre Bernard, Abe Vigoda, and Andy Blitz on three consecutive days, in three seperate situations on the streets of NYC. As a big Conan fan, this was too much for me.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

[​IMG] <---this is me, literally green with envy. :(

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My wife's boss is the ex-wife of former Rocket forward Ron Riley.

And once in 1985, Robert Reid came to speak at our church. We had lunch afterwards. (We had met him while shopping at the old Sharpstown Mall.)

I used to stop at Bum Phillips' house on HWY 6 and chat with him, before he moved out of town (and they built the widened hwy lanes through his former ranch). Also the same Mike Barber mentioned in this article used to live around the way from us after his playing days... He had tons of old Love Ya' Blue stuff...

As for my dad, he used to be a bouncer at a nightclub in downtown Houston at a place called "The Cellar" and he was a part-time roadie for the group "American Blues" -part of the band was Dusty Hill and Frank Beard who we all know ended up in the infinitely more famous ZZ Top.

My dad's family also claims that generations back, the matriarch of the family changed his name to hide the fact that he had inadvertently allowed John Wilkes Booth to sleep in his barn after assassinating Lincoln. So naturally, he left for another part of the country too... all for fear he'd be brought in as a conspirator. What if he was? :eek: (That was always my question.)

My mom's family had direct ties (ironically in light of my dad's family's claim) to General Lee, and in fact my great grandfather kinda looked like him... My "Pap" as we called him, got his hand-written property deed personally from President Theodore Roosevelt (unfortunately, the document -which I saw for years in person, just hanging on his wall - was not cherished enough, or given much consideration as to its value, and was destroyed in a house fire. The same fire killed my, then 106 year old, "Pap." :( )

The other side of my mom's family was directly descended from the William Pitt for whom Pittsburgh, PA was named.

Ever watch TBN? Most likely not if you're on this board... but the guy on there singing all the time, Mike Purkey once broke into my parents' trailer house (while they were newlyweds in like 1970) and stuck his wife through the window to unlock the door. (Mike and his wife were staying with my folks at the time.) It's funny, because my dad tells the story almost every time he sees him on TV.... "He never paid us for the window he broke..." LOL :rolleyes:

My dad also (well before the last story) used to play hoops at the boys club somewhere in the heights area of Houston in the same gym (at the same time) as Del Harris.

Reminds me of another "Del." I went to highschool with Del Way's nephew, Jeremy.

Former Cowboys WR Alexander Wright is the offensive coordinator at my former school, SAGU. (okay, well I don't know him, or haven't met him yet...)

Former Cowboys WR Michael Irvin knows the first lady I mentioned in this post.

My wife once helped Nate Newton at a furniture store she worked at... he asked her out, too. She said, "No." Even though he was a rich Cowboys player, and she was born and raised a Dallas fan. The store she worked at had several Cowboys come through. She also met (and assisted in a sale) the stunt double for the one and only Chuck Norris. (Re-read the last sentence for clarity.)

Almost forgot, I once checked Dale Earnhardt's groceries. He was on his way to a beach house at Surfside. He didn't intimidate me though. ;) Looking back, I wish I'd have copied his check on the copier... doubt the night manager would have let me though. It is illegal in the strictest sense. Would have been cool to have though, considering what all happened later...

Multiple autograph situations which I've discussed in several other threads over the years IIRC...

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
    This is a fun thread for me... can you tell?

How many degrees of seperation are there? I think it's possible everyone on this board has a connection to every person in the world. At least the one's who'd names most of us would recognize. ;)

#49 IROC it, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I want you.

I want you now.

:D

11. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

They were more aquaintaces. They knew each other, but weren't the best of friends. From the story's he had told me, they butted heads a little.

12. raw10628

Forgot a couple, my dad knew and worked for LBJ and Lady Bird for several years. We still get Christmas cards from Lady Bird every year. Oh and I'm friends with Scott Kazmir.

Gotta love the posts where everyone starts to brag about who they know and who they have met....lol

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

That's just ME! :D

But you are a damn fine bass player....YAMA HAMA!!!! :D :D :D

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I along with my parents saw Ray Stevens at a Nashville golf shop when I was like 8. He kept looking at us like he was waiting for us to ask him for his autograph, but my father told us to not bother him. I think us doing that hurt his feelings! :eek:

My father has a distant relative on his side of the family who was married to Barbara Mandrell (might still be).

My uncle (mom's brother) roomed with Roger Staubach one year at the Naval Academy.

My mother along with some of her teacher friends stayed at the same Dallas hotel that the Bulls stayed at and she saw Michael Jordan. Of course, it didn't occur to her after he left to ask him for an autograph. I about died when she told me this. How cool would it have been to have a Jordan autograph and a picture made with him?

My sister talked to Peter Frampton one time on the phone when she was working retail in Nashville. She also waited on Shoshonne (sp?) whatever her name was that was Jerry Seinfeld's girlfriend for a long time.

Other than Ray Stevens, not many famous people for me. :(

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

That was the point of it, right?

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

To me the most impressive names here are:

Ron Riley
    Nick Lowe
    The Big Cat Ernie Ladd

nicely done fellas.

I did have the pleasure of being lectured by a pre-AA Rudy Tomjanovich at about 4 in the morning the night of the second championship. My band was playing the club before the afterparty, which we were privelged enough to be invited to stay for (not players - coaches and staff). The thing about pre-sobriety Rudy - and possibly this is still the case- he was an incredibly patient and nice man to the hordes of people who would pester him at night. He was really very approachable and funny and nice and accessible. That guy is a true Houstonian, and by every indication, really skilled at dealing with delirious Rocket fans in a nice and meaningful way.

I spent an hour or two with Spike Lee who as very nice and good humoured.

I had the somewhat random experience of being diven around my college campus in a pitch black (no trim) Mercedes by 80's - 90's rap semi-sensation Shinehead. I also had the pleasure of talking with Junior Wells and his band, who detailed their enjoyment of not-skinny women to me. At length.

String Cheese Incident was one of the two worst opening bands that my former / current band (Banana Blender Surprise) ever had the displeasure of sharing the stage with. They cleared the Satellite Lounge out when they played with us; we usually did not really pay attention unless a band was horrible, great, friends of our, or terribly obnoxious. They were nice, but we thought just the pits.

I interviewed Enrique Iglesias and Doug Sahm.

I met George Harrison when I was two or three.

17. raw10628

Yes it was.....Gotta love the my sister's, best friend's, brother's cousin, is married to a 2nd cousin of Brad Pitt. :D

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sorry for the necro bump but I couldn't find another thread that talks about famous people. So I am playing bridge in person again on Saturdays in Nashville and there has been a father and son that has come and they aren't that bad. The son is actually pretty good. A good friend of mine told me yesterday, "You know that he is a big star on Tik Tok, don't you?" I am not on Tik Tok so I didn't know but finally got around and did some research - not sure about Tik Tok but yes he is famous and is all over youtube.....Kurt Hugo Schneider. I don't know if anyone knows of him but like I said he has done a lot of stuff on youtube and apparently the guy is worth millions. Nice kid, and it is cool that he is doing what he is doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Hugo_Schneider

FrontRunner, Xerobull and Nook like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fascinating.

Xerobull and Nook like this.
  20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were a lot of QE2 reminisces amongst certain of my FB friends. some had met her, and the Reagans at a long ago event. Trumped my queen experience, which is limited to Queen Sofia of Spain.

...and George Schulz.

would've been more impressed with Freddy Mercury.