1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's the owner, stupid

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In which I, me, I am the "stupid."

I've long-fought (mostly here) the notion that an owner is that vital to team success. They can certainly derail things - but, mostly, if owners hire the right people and stay out of their way...

And then, this weekend, it finally hit me: bad owners never hire the right people. Bad owners promote the Bill O'Briens of the world to GM; they turn their franchise over to the Jack Easterbys of the world; they ignore outside consultants and hire the Nick Caserios of the world; they hire head coaches like the David Culleys and Love Smiths of the world...

Drayton McLane was a good owner, and the Astros were good during his tenure. Jim Crane is a GREAT owner because he understands how to run a successful baseball franchise.

The Texans are going to be mired in mediocrity as long as Cal McNair owns the team. He signed off on the disastrous Hopkins and Tunsil deals & ran off a franchise QB. Since 2019, his first full year as owner, he's had three GMs and three HCs. He's 8-27-1 since 2020 and there isn't a single, solitary reason to think they'll be any better any time soon.

Yeah, Cal McNair is the problem.

Nook, arkoe, HillBoy and 17 others like this.
  2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Sadly, this is true.

The only glimmer of hope is that Cal has actually learned something through the BOB era and at least understands what complete mismanagement looks like so that he can avoid that.

If you don't sell off your draft picks to "win now", don't trade bonafide stars for peanuts, and have a GM and scouting that are halfway decent at drafting, you at least have a chance to go on short 1-3 year runs (e.g. '11-'12 Texans).

But yes, the chances of any sustained success appear to be none.

rockets94-95 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We have known this for several years now. Texans will never be good as long as Cal McNair owns the team.

4. Hey Now!

I know - but *I* didn't know...

Nook, Hippieloser, Major and 4 others like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Of course Tommy Boy is clueless

BHannes2BHonest and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. conquistador#11

The comical thing is that they're trying to give him an extreme makeover like it's some reality show. He's lost weight, have him cooking for the commoners, shaking hands with the fans, doing reddit bits. That's not what we meant by wanting a different owner. And I would never eat something grilled by Cal. Food poisoning for days.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cal sucks. I think we all agree on that. But I think it is a bit early to say Caserio wasn't the right man for the job. And if he IS the right man for the job, then things will get better even though Cal continues to suck. So I'm not quite as doomsday as you, HeyP, until I see reason to believe that Nick Caserio is going to be more of the same kind of mediocrity that we've lived with for so long.

8. Buck Turgidson

Actually, standing around drinking and grilling meat is one of the few things on earth I'd trust that shlub to know how to do.

rockets94-95, whag00, gatsby and 5 others like this.
  9. Hey Now!

My take on Caserio: his two coaching searches/hires have been abject disasters. Rex Burkhead is averaging 71 touches/game (roughly). He has not brought in one player that would rank among the top 50% at their position. And he was a Jack Easterby hire signed off on by Cal McNair.

There's really not much to be optimistic about, IMO.

Nook, Deep Steel Truth, Major and 4 others like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People will still swear up and down BOB is the man primarily at fault for our situation.

Like it's his fault we've had a revolving door at GM and scrambled for last second coaching hires 2 years in a row despite having all year to line things up.

The owner makes these calls, and we have an owner who simply doesn't have the capacity to make them correctly.

Nook and Hey Now! like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We got four players in this last draft that have already proven on the field to have excellent skills in Stingley, Green, Pitre, and Pierce. Metchie could be a fifth once healthy. This team is playing very competitive ball, unlike last year at this time. The team is pointed in the right direction.

whag00 and Pistol Pete like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Can we just get a franchise qb?
    [​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree and what I think Caserio has done will mire the team in mediocrity for the long haul. He’s managed to slightly improve the team to the point that they might win a few more games…but end up in that later draft position and not able to effectively improve the team. They’ll continue to stick in this loop of bad-but-not-terrible for another decade.

Hey Now! likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We had one, and he wanted to get the hell out even before the world knew he was a pervert.

Nook, IBTL, gatsby and 1 other person like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Curious to see what Caserio does in FA this offseason with some cap room

desihooper and No Worries like this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have to agree. I was never sold on Caserio because of the way he was hired. Nothing I've seen from him has given me a reason to even consider changing my opinion of him because he, Cal and Jack are the driving forces behind this clown show.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Bud says "Hi"
    [​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Most Experts pick the Texans' to last in NFL. The roster was ranked the worst in the league. With that said, the Texans should have won their first 3 games. However, you don't think Lovie has these guys playing well on defense? The defense is playing well, especially with the offensive issues. We know the issue is the QB. Has something changed since a few months ago? Everyone hoped for Mills to keep showing improvement. As with almost 2nd-year QBs, there are struggles (except for J-Law in Jax....but he will have some too). Will he get better? Maybe.
    I thought you guys wanted the Texans to lose every game for the #1 pick?

I like to see wins, but in the big picture, the Texans win either way (You find a QB or you have a top 3 pick).

gatsby, conquistador#11 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of this. Yesterday, the defense was pretty bad though.
    The missed tackles and mental errors were ridiculous

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

They just gave up 281 yards rushing yesterday. To a back-up running back.

No, Lovie does not have these guys playing well on defense.

rockets94-95, cmoak1982 and HillBoy like this.