1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Silas is the right guy for this rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Sep 25, 2022.

?

Is Silas the right man for this rebuild and to take the team forward?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2022.
  1. Yes - he is doing fine

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No - he is too soft

42 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Maybe - Jury is out he came to coach Harden, waiting another year to decide

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I admit, I have serious doubts about Silas as a leader of a team. He just doesn't seem to have that attention to detail that I personally like to see in a head coach.

Nor the fire that you want to see that inspires players.

Seems too nice, and I can't think of a single guy that was this passive or nice doing well as a head coach....

I will say his patience has been good for some players - Green and KPJ particularly - but is he the right guy to finish the rebuild and go forward with? I am not so sure.

Curious to what this intelligent body of fans thinks?

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No option for yes/maybe? :D

I think we will see a different side this yr. A step forward, but not full go til next yr. I imagine they still want a top 5 for a shot at "the prize". Will be more agressive, but still reigned in.

He's got something. Can't have that much clout with his past players and not bring it. Will he find a balance between a player's coach and a smart tactician? We'll soon see.

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Ask me 6 months later and 10.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great for tanking, not for winning. The white McHale.

Invisible Fan and bluffkin like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So far he has been an A+. The only goal has been to have the worst record, and he has done the job if we won more games the last 2 years he’d be closer to an F but he has been magnificent

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s cheap enough for Tilman ms a nice enough guy, that’s all you can ask for when hiring someone to coach the worst team in the league for 4 years

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What exactly is a coach during a rebuild supposed to accomplish? And how can that be measured in an objective way?

But ignoring those 2 questions, if I had to answer the poll, I'd say Maybe. This is because I have not seen anything that definitively says he absolutely is perfect for the job or is horrible for the job.

One issue I have with this question is I don't think any coach, no matter who he is, would still be around when (/if) we get the point of wanting to contend. By then, we will fire whoever we have to bring in a "new voice."

8. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Doesn't matter if he's the right guy, Tilman is not going to pay top dollar for a top notch coach. So the answer is obviously no but don't expect a quality replacement.

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm in the maybe camp, though I'm leaning more towards the no side. We'll see how he does this season, there are no more excuses left. If the team comes out again with no structure, no offensive system beyond "freestyle and dribble the clock down until a rushed last second shot attempt" and no accountability when players check out, then I'll be a firm no. I do think he has the player development skills, his history shows that. What I'm unsure on is whether or not he can actually be the coach of a TEAM.

charlieaustin, JW86 and DaDakota like this.
  10. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Hold on, weren't you the one saying FO knows what they are doing? So why raise this up?
    He is perfect for the FO: Low profile coach starting his career so will do everything they ask...
    On the other hand we saw some terrible coaching samples the last two years.
    He can be a great locker room guy, maybe a great assistant. But he is not vocal (needed for kids) and often at games you look at his face and he seems clueless what to do.

I bought NBA2k23 and tried to buy the Rockets playbook. Couldn't find as it doesn't exist.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Largely agree w/ this, but I don’t think we’re going to find out w/ such a young roster whether he’s the right guy or not. Hollins & Abdelfattah should definitely help though.

And quite frankly I see Abdelfattah as our future HC. The way he’s being described sounds almost perfect, that he’s tough and very good and understanding of each player’s needs. I feel Silas has the latter down, but not the former. He’s too gentle to my liking.

Lucas is not HC material, never was, and Hollins we’d have to see. If he has actually embraced data and analytics to a degree then maybe he could be, though don’t think he’d be first on management’s list to succeed Silas.

Silas is too much three focused to my liking as well so maybe Hollins would be more inclined to tell Green to get his from midrange, as well as for Jabari.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

prob great asst coach...
    prob a good coach if u want a soft spoken guy thats not gonna piss off yer narcissist superstar(s)...
    ...but im not feeling the tenacity to drive youngsters and hold em accountable...
    we need an authoritarian at this juncture... imo...

charlieaustin, RasaqBoi and DaDakota like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I dunno, I've seen kid's teams that play with more structure. That's where I want to see some improvement this season. If we still look like a rec league team then he's not cut out to be a head coach. If we come out and play structured, professional basketball whilst developing the players I couldn't care less if we lose every single game. That's the crux of it for me, he needs to show he can do more than letting the players dictate the offense - we don't have the talented PG we need for that style to work (Harden.) If the team carries on doing the freestyle **** it means one of two things in my mind: 1. He actually doesn't have the strategic chops to be a good coach, because he can't identify and utilize the skills of his team effectively OR 2. He has no control of the team so they're ignoring his system and doing whatever they want. Neither of those 2 situations would qualify as "good coaching."

AlperenSengun and DaDakota like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The youngins like him. Now if he can parlay that into developing without burning them out, then he deserves to keep the contract Tillman is not going to write off...

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe. He will likely need players that can win to be a coach that can win.

hakeemthagreat and Corrosion like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas is going to need his rooks, 2nd year guys and rest of the young guys (Tate, KPJ, Gary Bird) to level up quickly in 2022.

But Silas success will ultimately rest on these 3 new coaches.

Silas first coaching staff has been almost completely turned over so we know TF, Patrick and Stone have not been satisfied with results thus far.

Silas admission that Rockets were barely playing the basics on offense and defense last season was concerning to say the least.

DeBeards, cmoak1982, Mr Woods and 2 others like this.
  17. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Ime Udoka should be available soon.

Fulgore likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's what Nia Long said.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Been saying since he was hired that this is the year I will decide, because this is the year he won't have something like 75% core player turnover. It's looking like - no, but we will see.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas also has to live up to his guard whisperer and/or offensive genius reputation.

DeBeards, cmoak1982 and Dobbizzle like this.