1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Hardy: Jiu-Jitsu Monster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

VENOM Star Tom Hardy Goes Viral After Entering A Jiu-Jitsu Competition And Winning All Of His Matches

Venom and The Dark Knight Rises star Tom Hardy recently went viral after it was revealed he entered a fighting competition in England, winning all of his matches.
    News
    DanielKlissmman | 9/22/2022
    Filed Under: "Venom: Let There Be Carnage" Source: Hyde News & Pictures (via The Guardian)
    [​IMG]
    Tom Hardy, who stars as Eddie Brock in Sony’s Venom franchise and played Bane in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises, recently went viral for taking part in a martial arts tournament in the UK. On Saturday, September 17, (via The Guardian), the actor competed in the 2022 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open Championship in Milton Keynes, England.

Hardy won all of his fights, earning a certificate and a gold medal. The actor is a blue belt in the sport. For context, per BJJ Success, Jiu-Jitsu has five primary belt tiers—white, blue, purple, brown and black—with three higher levels: red-and-black, red-and-white and red (via The MMA Guru).

A picture of the Venom star at the competition was posted on Twitter (originally shared by the Facebook page taped_fingers), garnering over 70,000 likes:

A spokesperson for Ultimate Martial Arts Championships, which organized the tournament, praised Hardy for his participation: "Everyone recognized him but he was very humble and was happy to take time out for people to take photographs with him. It was a real pleasure to have him compete at our event."

Andry Leatherland, Hardy's final opponent, told the Daily Mail that he entered the competition after realizing the actor had signed up under his legal name, Edward Hardy:

"I was contemplating the Milton Keynes tournament as it was very local. And then, one morning—he goes by the name Edward Hardy—I saw that he'd actually signed up. [...] The intensity that he brought to his movie roles, he brought that. He didn't say a word, he didn't say anything." Leatherland added about being beaten by Hardy: "I made a mistake and he capitalized on that. He absolutely nailed it, and he subbed me, and it was over relatively quickly."

[​IMG]
    RELATED:
    Canceled SPIDER-MAN: LOTUS Fan Film Footage Shows Web-Slinging VFX That Are On Par With The MCU

Tom Hardy himself posted about the event on his Instagram, and explained how Jiu-Jitsu has helped him in his personal life:

"Addiction is difficult and complex stuff to navigate; as is mental health. Subjects which are both deeply personal for me and extremely close to my heart. It is an honour to be able to represent the charity and my team, REORG, and the great work they do supporting the mental health and well-being of veterans of service, military and first responders through the therapeutic benefits of Jiu-Jitsu and fitness training. Simple training, for me (as a hobby and a private love) has been fundamentally key to further develop a deeper sense of inner resilience, calm and well being. I can't stress the importance it has had and the impact on my life and my fellow team mates."

He also took the opportunity to praise the work done by REORG, which, as he described, is "a global non-profit organization and community that encourages and enables veterans, active military, and first responders to use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Physical Fitness Training as a form of therapy to overcome physical and mental challenges, strengthen social connection, and improve overall health and well-being."

Hardy's Past With Jiu-Jitsu
    [​IMG]
    In August, Hardy entered another competition: the REORG Open Jiu-Jitsu Championship in Wolverhampton, England. Per People, the actor earned two gold medals—one in the gi (martial arts uniform) category, and one in the no-gi one.

Competitor Danny Appleby, who went up against Hardy, told Teeside Live he was shocked when he found out he would fight the actor. Hardy, however, asked him to act like he would with any other opponent:

"I was waiting match-side for the semi-final in Wolverhampton when Tom [Hardy] showed up. I didn't know he was going to be there. And they expected me to remain composed. […] I was shell-shocked. He said, 'Just forget it's me, and do what you would normally do.' […] He's a really strong guy. You wouldn't think it with him being a celebrity. I do okay. I've done about six tournaments and I've been on the podium in every one. But he's probably the toughest competitor I've had—he certainly lived up to his Bane character [from 'The Dark Knight Rises']."

Tom Hardy is expected to reprise his role as Eddie Brock in Venom 3. In June 2022, he took to Instagram to offer a look at the film's screenplay, written by Kelly Marcel (Fifty Shades of Grey, Venom: Let There Be Carnage).

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for Tom Hardy. I can completely believe he can win especially at the blue belt level. The guy definitely physically trains hard and is very focused. Also this isn’t a world championship high level tournament. A win is a win and respect him for going out and competing and also for a good cause.

If I remember correctly I think Ed O’Neil has won BJJ tournaments and is a black belt. They is a very impressive feat as BJJ belts are earned through competition.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Al Bundy is a black belt?

4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

#4 OkayAyeReloaded, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

aren’t most action stars somewhat of a belt-level martial artists with the amount of action scenes they had to train for?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can you imagine being in a close match with Hardy and he turns on Bane lines?

"Victory has defeated you!"

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm going to guess not Liam Neeson.

Action director breaks down the iconic scene (worth watching):

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

liam is like chuck norris, they are beyond elementary belts

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While poking around YouTube for aquarium information once, I was shocked to see all the people that have some level of serious martial arts background among entertainers.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was surprised that Hardy is only 5' 3" -- he always plays taller characters.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's 5'9 according to all info I can find?

12. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

FrontRunner and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is very similar to the movie Warrior, which starred Tom Hardy as a former military guy that enters a huge MMA tourney and surprises. There's more to it than that and the movie is fantastic, but funny how the article only talked about Venom. I wonder if Warrior is what inspired Hardy to continue learning martial arts.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Some are but movie fights aren't the same as actualy martial arts fights. They're made for show and a lot of the moves you seen in movies, like very high kicks, aren't practical in either sport matches or actual fights. Also a lot of the fights are done by stunt actors.

Yung-T, Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i’m sure keanu reeves has to be some kinda mid-belt level fighter right? i know chuck norris became a legit fighter thru his movie trainings

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think I saw somewhere that Keanu Reeves also has a blue belt in BJJ. Chuck Norris was already a Karate and Judo Champion before he got into movies. Bruce Lee got him and several others who had been martial arts sports champions into movies.

Jontro likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Chuck Norris is a 3rd degree bjj black belt, truly legit

Jontro likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's actually only a white belt and didn't do much outside of his 4months training with the Machado brothers.

Xerobull and Jontro like this.