1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wish that was true. I've been a season ticket holder going back to Robertson Stadium. Can't say I've seen every single game, but I have been to the vast majority. There have been empty seats at all of them. That includes the Louisville game. Definitely crowded, and I know they sold SRO tickets. But my trick is to look at the corners of the stands for vacancy. About a hundred in each corner. I can't explain it. As to all other games, I have never seen it packed. Hermann days were better, but packed is not accurate. Last week's Kansas game stated 30,000 sold, but attendance was less than half. Honestly, when the teams ran out onto the field, I felt bad for the Coogs. It breaks my heart to say all this, but the games just are not drawing a crowd.

Worse yet for basketball. This team is great and deserves a jammed stadium. Only been to 3-4 games. All were sold out, all had tickets available, and all had about a thousand seats. Whole sections virtually empty. Its a crime.

#6821 Pat, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

double post

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

packed is plenty accurate. the problem is some of yall have these standards that aren't realistic to what it should be. not to mention exaggeration that comes into play. There's steps to this and up until that point there wasn't much to be excited about at all with UH football. Facilities were embarrassing. 0 accountability. level of recruits was bad. The hermann time was just unexpected and a huge step for UH in regards to football. he changed so much during his time and the games were definitely packed as it got going.

same goes for basketball. and this coming from feedback from the actual staff/players. They've loved the turnouts at Fertitta Center. The noise level at their home games is what they talk about most. And the majority of that comes from the students.

#6823 YOLO, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  4. Poloshirtbandit

I sat in the upper section. There weren't many people around me.

Fulgore likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

not a lot of people sit in upper section. especially for a program that hasn't known what winning is for a very long time and have cheap tickets to sit somewhere else that's not up there

6. Poloshirtbandit

I'm not sure if there's a trick to it or what but when I tried to buy tickets to basketball games last year they weren't available regardless of the opponent.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Oh yea I was at that game vs Temple. Ayers made a sick one handed catch but the crowd was very weak. The crowd vs Southern Miss in 2011 probably one of the best I’ve been at but we know how that game went.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Same here

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Holgorsen has the worst looking hair I have ever seen. Doesn’t UH have a barber school or something?

solid likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

2015 attendance (12-1):

76%
    100 (ranked Memphis)
    100 (ranked Navy)
    89 (ranked Temple?)

2016 (9-3):

[beat OU at NRG]
    100 (ranked Louisville)

2017 (7-4):

2018 (8-4):

Seems to me that if yall are really good, people kind of show up, if you're only pretty good, they kind of don't.

YOLO and DonnyMost like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This has been my 20+ year experience. When we're undefeated and/or have a realistic chance at NY6, everybody is in. When we drop a random game to Tulsa, 30% of the crowd gets Thanos snapped out of existence.

That's just life with an urban school. You have more students with families, jobs, and other responsibilities to tend to. You're sitting in a massive city with a crapton of other things to do and a crapton of other friends who probably have no connection to the university. You have an enormous uphill battle to put butts in seats. This makes weekday games (which are common for Tier 2 programs) and holidays an absolute nightmare for attendance as well.

This is the same story for schools like UCLA, Pitt, Miami, Cinci, SMU, Arizona, Maryland, Northwestern,
    SDSU, Rutgers, and on and on.

But, TBH IDGAF. That's circumstantial. The question is are you regularly competitive or not.

Hippieloser and YOLO like this.
  12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There will be some crowds for conference games next year especially the games against the old SWC teams that we haven't played in forever. If we aren't competitive then the luster will wear off fast. The goal should be to always avg more than 30k and really they need to be trying to sell 20k season tickets at least. There are longtime fans that think this year they sold fewer season tickets than they ever have and its just because we haven't been good since 2016. I don't care what the record was last year they played nobody.

Pat and seemoreroyals like this.
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kansas and Texas Tech have turned out to be a bit more competitive than expected. Doesn't excuse the awful play of UH, but explains the outcomes somewhat.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

In your past life, were you a GOAT?

16. Poloshirtbandit

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Can he come back as a 5th year senior?

18. Poloshirtbandit

Maybe. When did he leave the game vs Rice? This is from 2018 so idk if this still applies:

Fulgore likes this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I believe 1st half. Sucks because he was on his way to a monster season. Should definitely get drafted if he decides to go

20. Poloshirtbandit

Fulgore likes this.