1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah they are.. those highlights are nothing! He I definitely haven’t watched much of bird. There’s so much more to his passing than those clips

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You clearly didn't watch Bird play during his prime in the 1980's, like I did. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of folks here weren't able to. I have to say, though, that I don't understand why you feel the need to "defend" Sengun's passing against a legendary Hall of Fame player who was a 12 time All Star, a 3 time League MVP, the winner of 3 championships who's passing skills were legend league wide while he was playing.

If Sengun read your post he'd be a bit embarrassed by it, in my opinion. I think he's going to be a star in the NBA. I thought that early on and said so. Alperen's passing is just one part of the skill set he has, skills that he'll continue to improve on. Heck, I think his defense, where he gets the most criticism, is better than he's given credit for. Having said that, maybe, in my opinion, we should let him play a lot more games, the games that count, that allow him to show on the biggest stage in the world what he's capable of doing, his passing and the rest of the Turk's package, before we start saying, "all the passes we saw in this clip from larry alpi can do no sweat...alpi already did more difficult passes in nba..." Larry being Larry Bird.

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100% what I was thinking watching that clip. The hate started in 86. He was maddening. So good all over the court.

Deckard likes this.
  4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

While that is a thoughtful and accurate reply, it is a bit that poster is doing - one which has more then run it’s course.

Upon reflection, I wonder if it is a bot rather than a bit.
    Input: “Sengun is good but needs to work on [defense / 3P% / fouling / etc]”
    Output: “Sengun is already one of the best in the league for [defense / 3P% / fouling / etc.]”

Input: “Some things Sengun does remind me of [All-Star]”
    Output: “Sengun is already better than [All-Star], but doesn’t get to show it due to [Silas / Turkish coach / Aliens / etc.]”

#3224 cmlmel77, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    aaquaa likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In some people's mind, Sengun is already better than the greats in history. He's just being held back by the devil a.k.a. coach.

After watching the Bird clip, I was waiting for someone to say, "Look, Bird just made a bunch of Sengun passes!" I mean, Alperen Sengun is the Father of all great passing big men.

6. maj21

maj21 Member

The Sengun takes on these boards has gotta be the most insane things I’ve seen. He’s literally a guy that’s trying to prove he can be a starting 5 at this level. His max potential imo is a star, not no legend like Larry Bird. Idk if he’ll even be as good as Sabonis lol. Let the kid prove himself, damn.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have a higher view of Sengun than you. I think he already has what it takes to be as good as Sabonis, just needing more experience. If he develops a reliable outside and midrange shot, he can be a smaller but faster Jokic.

People constantly confuse potential with reality. It's kind of amusing because the NBA is filled with unfulfilled potentials. People just never learn from history. Or maybe they are just blinded by their fandom.

Drift Monkey, Deckard, aaquaa and 3 others like this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

While I agree that there are some insane takes, I can't imagine sengun not surpassing Sabonis. It is kind of not giving enough credit to how good he is. The only way it could happen is Sengun absolutely shows no development at all, which i think won't happen.

Sengun's passing, ability to draw fouls, efficiency are comparable to when Sabonis was 2-3 years older. And Sengun was new to the league, with less than ideal conditioning, with language barrier, getting inconsistent minutes. I think it will obvious by the end of this year, he'll be much better than Sabonis.

9. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah I respect your opinion man. I’m so torn bc I really like him! I just don’t believe in the bigs like him in today’s game unless they hit at a Jokic level. I want a longer lob threat that’s elite defensively. Wemby would be awesome, but I doubt we get him. But I see star upside I’m Sengun

Easy likes this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

Sabonis is a legit 6’11” and he’s an all star. Sengun is better than him when you compare their first year, I just don’t know if he’ll develop the same way. Even then, it’s been hard for teams to win and build around Sabonis.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

While we can't predict that Sengun's future development will match Sabonis, it is a bit of an understatement to say Sengun was just better in their first year. Sabonis averaged 6 points 3.5 reb 1 assist on horrendous efficiency, while being a full year and a half older than Sengun. Also the biggest area holding Sabonis back even now is rim protection, while Sengun blocked more shots last year than Sabonis did in his first two years combined.

#3231 CXbby, Sep 22, 2022
    Drift Monkey, Deckard, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He was also MVP in a pretty competitive league at an even younger age already.

13. maj21

maj21 Member

I get it lol. I guess y’all don’t get what me and some others see. I believe in the talent, I’m just not sure of the archetype if he’s not at a superstar level. I will say this… he’s already ahead of Sabonis defensively, so that’s exciting

aaquaa likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun is not going to be a superstar, if I understand the term correctly, there are less than 10 of those in the league. He can be an allstar though.

aaquaa, cryout75 and maj21 like this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

I agree! I’m saying a lot of people on here think he will be a superstar. It’s just not happening lol

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sabonis measured 6’10 in shoes before the combine and has a smaller wingspan than Alp

#3236 cmoak1982, Sep 22, 2022
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sabonis maybe 6'11 now but his 6'11 wingspan has always made him a liability on defense as rim protector.

6'10 Sengun with 7'1 wingspan and defensive energy is already a better defender than Sabonis.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

I get what you and @cmoak1982 are saying. I’m just not sold that this team can reach their goal someday with Sengun at the 5. I don’t even believe in Sabonis in that aspect either. There’s plenty of time until we’re contenders, so hopefully I’ll feel better about it by then.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

You must have forgot about that bun Lin … wtv his full name is. That’s how bad that got. Can’t even remeber his full name lol

20. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I think it depends on the team around him. If Tari and Jabari are paired with him in the front court you need another decent guard as a defender, can’t be two stiffs in the back court.

maj21 and D-rock like this.