1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be honest, Davis Mills is GUTTER TRASH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by my time to shine, Sep 19, 2022.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gutter trash is a bit much. He could just be good old fashioned recyclable trash.

B-Bob, Rudyc281, REEKO_HTOWN and 3 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

If the Texans had a real QB, they could be 2-0 and sitting atop the AFC South Brian. [​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Right. BrockO was Bourbon Street Mardis Gras Gutter Trash. Mills is better than that.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JR,
    We could make that argument for HC (and I like Lovie) and OC (and I like Pep too!). We're overachieving on defense and that has kept us in both games.
    Decision-makers--HC, OC and QB have all made questionable calls and not executed as we would hope.

However, nothing is flat out terrible yet. We haven't been raked over the coals like the 40-0 Bills catastrophe last year.

I know having folks learn on the job sucks, but its reality. Some could argue that Lovie has enough experience to not make excuses, but every person will make mistakes or questionable decisions no matter the age or experience level.

Bottom line is we've been competitive in both games, much more than most expected.

Personally, I appreciate the level of play the coaching staff and players have provided. It's not good enough, but its better than last year's sh-t show.

Rudyc281, ROXRAN and J.R. like this.
  5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Curious question - why does Mills get all the blame? He’s been bad, but Pep’s play calling has been atrocious. I’m confused why were are running trick plays with Jeff Driskel. Mills has been under heavy pressure and his o-line has under-performed (what’s new). And his receivers aren’t getting much separation

agree with the sentiment that mills being meh is a good thing. I was having concerns he was Schaub light and I have zero desire to make the playoffs due to a bad division

persian hoopa, Commodore and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Mills has actually had time the line has been playing decent

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It honestly looks like he’s programmed to get the ball out so quick that when he doesn’t he panics.

HstnSprtsFan101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He was ok but now he looks completely overmatched.. Texans shouldn't even consider him as a vital piece of their rebuild... He's just there to fill a need at the moment... Focus on the players you know will be here in 2 years .. Which probably ain't many on this roster..

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

that doesn’t jive with what I’ve watched. The first game the pressure up the middle was consistent and Tunsil blew a coverage leading to a blind side sack forced fumble. Britt retired on the field that day.

They were better Sunday. Peps play calling wasn’t.

As bad as it may sound, I would prefer to be bad this year. Sure doesn’t look like Mills is it. But from what I’m watching - he’s not the only problem. Let’s do the limbo and get us more talent at all positions

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So true! Texans fans know gutter trash all too well.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

How fun/sad is it that our 20 year QB tree looks like:

Watson
    Schaub
    Fitzpatrick
    1/2 Year UH guy
    Carr?
    every
    one
    else
    for
    a
    decade

Mills's spot is TBD at this point.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

For me it’s not the losses, or even the inability to manufacture a game winning drive (you can blame a cooks dropped td, playcalling, etc)… for me it is the absolute horrendous accuracy. You can coach away the panic fast trigger, you can put better weapons around them, and call better plays, but you can’t coach accuracy and that is why I believe it is the most important skill for a QB.
    For what it’s worth my list of qb skills in order would be:
    1. Accuracy
    2. IQ (diagnosing at the line, reading D)
    3. Extending plays
    4. Arm strength

5. Cool side arm ability…

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-3-2022-season-rankings

32. Davis Mills
    Houston Texans · Year 2
    2022 stats: 2 games | 56 pct | 417 pass yds | 5.6 ypa | 2 pass TD | 0 INT | 0 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 3 fumbles

Let's start at the end: Trailing the Broncos in Denver by a touchdown with 53 ticks on the clock, Davis Mills takes over at his own 25-yard line. The result:

First-and-10: Check-down to Brevin Jordan for a 1-yard loss. The play chews up 30 seconds.
    Second-and-11: Incomplete deep shot to Brandin Cooks.
    Third-and-11: Incomplete pass tipped at the line.
    Fourth-and-11 with 17 seconds left: Pass to Cooks bounces off terra firma. Game over.

The stretches of promising tape Mills produced toward the end of last season haven't bubbled up over two humdrum starts in 2022.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Matches the eye test too. Starts and ends poorly with solid play in the middle

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"drip backs" is a great typo, unless it's a new fancy football term I haven't heard before.

"I used to play quarterback, but now I play dripback. :oops:"

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy is a victim of his team's desperate PR hype train over the last year, with them hyping him in hopes of giving fans something to be excited about.

Based on his sparse college career and the fact that he was a rookie last year, he shouldn't be playing at all at this point. But the Texans' hype machine was trying HARD all off season, dropping hints that he was poised to break out and become a top QB in the league.

He's got basically 1 season of college football games and 1 season of NFL Games. On a normal team - not one that needed a franchise face to make fans forget about the guy who came before and what a train wreck of a franchise they've been - Davis Mills would be getting backup reps in practice, and fans would be cautiously optimistic that he might develop some day.

The Texans didn't do Davis Mills any favors in how they presented him, because of what they NEEDED from him for reasons having nothing to do with him.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Well put my friend.

But you either have it or you don’t and Mills don’t.