1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except we’re talking about the 50 current immigrants. If he’s trying to make an example of them as the southern border being overrrun by “illegal immigrants” and these people are the example well they really aren’t illegal

Specifics matter. For that matter the attention that DeSantis has brought on this group very well could make it more likely they gain asylum.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve noticed you tend to like to argue over specifics so don’t your think those matters so now you’re saying people are being dense if they don’t accept a generalization.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Biden Admin and the current Congress have passed three infrastructure bills and the first bill addressing gun control in decades. There is hope the we can get some changes on immigration.

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More evidence that the asylum seekers were transported under false pretenses.

It’s almost as if the GOP wants to prove the accusation that “cruelty is the point” of all their actions and policies.

jiggyfly, superfob, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

There is. It's not for a lack of trying. It's because both sides can't agree on a bill even though there are many things both sides agree on.

Bush had a comprehensive immigration reform bill. Didn’t get the 60 votes needed (failed by 10 votes if I recall). Obama had a comprehensive immigration reform bill (which failed by 5 votes). Trump talk about something and something and something (he did one time seem to agree on a few policies outside of just his vanity wall in 2017, but quickly pulled back once he realized his base would have none of that). No bill was ever up for a vote. Biden has a comprehensive immigration bill. It has not gone up for a vote (introduced in both houses earlier this year).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Amiga

Supporting Member

The ROI on a physical wall is junk.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No, you're talking about the 50 immigrants. DeSantis was clearly talking about more.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think I discuss quite honestly. Trump clearly conceded. Then he said he didn't. But that doesn't change the fact that he did. Google it. Look how many headlines say that Trump conceded.

Let's say you eat an entire pizza for dinner, throw it all up, decide you're still hungry, and then eat pasta. If someone then asks you if you ate pizza for dinner, do you say "yes" or "no"?

So it's my fault that people, instead of asking me for clarification, jump to incorrect conclusions? And its my fault that they continue to cling to their incorrect conclusions even after I clarify?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we can hopefully agree to disagree because I disagree.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That's fine. I can't convince anyone of anything if they don't have an open mind so there's no point in trying.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm willing to look at discussion points and try to have an open mind. But not with games of word meaning, etc.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Weren't you the one recently trying to play "gotcha" with regards to where someone enters the US?

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, just a dose of your own medicine. I will abstain for doing that again in the near future.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yeah, it was a nice try. I don't mind it as long as it doesn't devolve monkeys flinging poo.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I should have been more concise.

We need a large scale change, not incremental changes.

As for Biden, he has flaws but he doesn't get enough credit for what he has been able to do in such a divided political world and with the lack of support.

I believe when it comes to certain issues like infrastructure and immigration and gun control, you need full tilt buy in and expenditures.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You also need a negotiating partner who operates in good faith. The modern GOP's "kick 'em all out and build a wall" position isn't serious. There are GOP mega donors and supporters in agriculture, construction, etc. whose fortunes depend upon cheap illegal labor. Whole sectors of the economy, like restaurants and hospitality, have the same dependency.

As with everything else, the GOP's catch-all approach of "F*ck 'em" isn't a serious position on a serious issue.

jiggyfly, Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's not a position they will ever implement in practice. It's just a position they use to make sure the people of the land don't pick up class inequality issues as their main political issue to fight over because that's the last thing wealthy white people want, the poor white people joining other poor people of color in a united front.

Nook and ROCKSS like this.
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

In a true capitalistic open society, there is no border and there is no regulation (a libertarian argument).

When the moderates figure out a way to bring the undocumented out of the shadow, with a robust work visa program with strong regulation around it, it undoubtfully will be attacked as over-regulation that drives inflation.

jiggyfly and ROCKSS like this.
  20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I have been hearing about an immigration problem my entire life and nothing seems to get done, on both sides we have some smart folks, I wish they could come together and focus on a long term plan, this political hot potato becomes a major "bullet point" for the party who is not in control and it ends up being BS and nothing real gets done. I`m not nearly smart enough to understand the complexities this issue faces, but I do know immigrants bring experience and eventually help pay taxes, the ones I have met are hard working and to be honest do quite a few jobs that "we" do not want or have the stomach for.......I know we cant take in everyone, hell I don't even know how many people want to get in, but we have to vet them and that has to be an awfully hard and time consuming job. These are people at the end of the day, they be a number to some folks and lying to them in a pamphlet so they will jump on a plane is such a dirty and slimy way of treating your fellow humans..............man those Christian Values politicians really know how to screw folks over.

Amiga likes this.