1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't know where you get this from. No libertarian would say another landowner couldn't build a community housing project on his own land, even if it lowers nearby property values. We would oppose government housing, because we don't think there should be government housing, but it doesn't matter where it is built.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not in practice, in the vast majority of cases, at least in Germany. And if/when it happens, it's very expensive for taxpayers...and more often than not, they are back very quickly.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Blame rhetoric from self labeled libertarians then not me if that is not what you believe or what you imagine. Libertarians believe.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.lincolngoldfinch.com/can-you-be-deported-after-asylum-denied/

It seems like most are denied and end up being deported out of the nation.

I'm sure it's not 100%.

The real problem is huge backlog and limited to personnel to process the claims.

Get them processed and either they will be accepted and able to start contributing or they will be removed.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What happened is still muddy and it's too easy to make assumptions.

You are assuming they have money for a phone and internet services. Landing in a foreign country that you've never been in, don't speak the language, understand the culture and it's easy to understand that it's NOT easy to figure things out. Even if they know better, I shouldn't really need to defend them - their current situation is not of their doing, it was due to what looks like fraud done upon them. The blame game on them (should have known, should do this or that) is easy to do and frankly, show a lack of empathy toward their situation (and what also looks like a distraction away from the perpetrator). You really have no idea what they were thinking, why they went along, and what exactly their situations were.

So far.. and again, it's still muddy, so need to take it with a grain of salt (I only put [fact] in what is known to be factual):

- I won't repeat what is already well known
    - The 50 folks were already processed by DHS and were in private shelters (not gov shelters, usually churches, family members in the US, or other organizations). This means they already passed a credible interview and has a reasonable claim for asylum.
    - They have upcoming court dates. [Fact] they will be ordered to be deported if they do not show up.
    - Some have court dates in San Francisco tomorrow and elsewhere far away from where they were dropped off.
    - [Fact] Asylum Seekers are not allowed to work; undocumented are not allowed to work. An asylum seeker may apply for a work permit after 6M.
    - The promises of work or work permit (especially if done by gov officials) would be very attractive to asylum seekers

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No that doesn’t apply because the migrants I question haven’t had an asylum hearing yet. For the moment they are here legAlly.
    Sure not everyone does but then if they haven’t applied for asylum, which according to most reports they did, then they are here illegally. In which case DeSantis has abetted a crime.

So either DeSantis is using taxpayer money trafficking illegal aliens or he’s using taxpayer money moving legal migrants for not direct benefit to FL .

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And what about previous migrants (that the question was referring to)?

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure there are people who don’t return if they are denied asylum hearings. They can be deported The ones in question that isn’t there status.

Let me ask you, are these migrants in the country legally?

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you really think he's referring only to this current wave of immigrants?

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

DeSantis said what he said and without clarification, that's all we have to go on with this issue.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Seems like it's pretty clear to anyone not being intentionally dense.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again, according to your posting style, there was no clarification. We only have his words.

You can't have it both ways.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The USA does need revamped immigration policy and standards. It looked like we would possibly get it when there was discussion of granting citizenship to productive long term illegal immigrants before it was turned into a political stunt by both sides. Now we are too far apart politically.

A wall is stupid and doesn’t account for the fact that over 40% of illegal immigrants in the USA came by plane.

Lots of stupidity by both sides of the aisle on this topic. I assume we will let it languish like infrastructure and income inequality, lack of affordable housing and gun control.

fchowd0311 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Ok, we have his words. He used the word "overrun". Do you really think he implied that the border states were being "overrun" by this, and only this, current wave of immigrants?

My posting style is pretty straightforward. I try to be as informed as possible, and I try to respond to what's written, not what I think is written. If I'm not sure of something, I ask for clarification.

Why do you have a problem with this posting style?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you in a teachers union?

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Because you don't discuss honestly. When people use colloquial language, you try and find ways to not interpret it colloquially. Or you pretend your posts have other meanings.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A wall would presumably have some impact on illegal entries.