1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Closing the border" is not pragmatic. You can have security checkpoints, drones, patrols etc but a 1000+ mile land border is impossible to completely shut down physically.

The actual pragmatic approach would be to reduce the demand of illegal immigrants by prosecuting those who hire them consistently to the fullest extent of the law.

Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just showing what actually happened.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why then did DeSantis then use taxpayer to fly them from Texas to Massachusetts? Why didn’t he just see about getting that money to US Border Patrol?
    The Biden admin hasn’t been telling people to come over. In fact Kamala Harris specifically said don’t come over.

Trump didn’t have the situation under control. Border officials were overwhelmed with crossings in 2019.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tru...r-crossings-asylum-requests/story?id=62904545
    Trump didn’t come close to completing The Wall and the Republican Congress wouldn’t fund it.

Of course Mexico didn’t pay for it either.

TheFreak, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Nook, FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

@AroundTheWorld

What do you think would sincerely help lessen illegal immigration?

If Ron DeSantis started a enforcement campaign that took away business licenses to every business owner in his state caught hiring illegals immediately?

Doing what he's doing now with a media campaign shipping illegal immigrants to the "enemy states"?

Which one is actually more effective in the claimed goal and which one just scores more political points?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’m going to give an example showing how much a stunt this is.

Mn Governor Tim Walz says that gun crimes is a big problem and the US government isn’t doing enough to address it. To bring attention to it he flies a bunch of people on parole for gun crimes from South Dakota to South Carolina using MN tax payer money. For him to do that is questionable legally but as an MN taxpayer I would be infuriated by that even though I agree there is a problem with crime and easy access to firearms. Walz’ jurisdiction is Minnesota but also his direct duty is to Minnesota. Money like that should be spent on things like increasing funding for local and state police not moving people from another state to another state.

TheFreak, Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Detaining little kids in ice blocks doesnt sound like immigration was "under control".

Biden and Kamala couldn't handle reversing that cluster**** nor could they continue Trump policies without a termination plan, so the past year has been great fodder for Fox News on that front.

Obama extended a bad precedent by using EO to get Dreamers past the finish line and gave the appearance that presidents can do Congress's job and are solely responsible for its results.

Republicans under Bush and Trump couldn't pass immigration reform on their watch. The blame is upon all the presidents for 20 year leadership gap, but what we see today is primarily the fault of Congress.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Securing the border and consistently and swiftly deporting those who do not legally have a right to be in the country, unless humanitarian (not purely economic) reasons legitimately stand against it. The reason more people come is because they de facto feel invited to do so by the fact that they know they will most likely be allowed to stay if they somehow make it into the country. Same in Europe.

You asked me what would work. Obviously, an argument can be had about the whole "no human is illegal" stuff. But yes, that would indeed lessen illegal immigration. One could then increase the quota of people admitted for humanitarian reasons and more selectively hand-pick those you want in the country (and increase the numbers for legal immigration).

Just for some perspective, I believe Germany has seen a lot more illegal immigration as a percentage of the overall population, in a much, much smaller and more densely populated country than the USA. Plus, with more "cultural" difficulties because of a very high percentage of immigrants with very different attitudes towards women, gays, Jews. It's not a uniquely US problem. As long as there are such huge differences in standard of living between different countries, this type of migration will always continue to happen.

As I said, it's very understandable from the perspective of the individual migrants, and I empathize with their plight. I am not condemning them for trying, at all.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you think they were too dumb to google MV and see if that was a destination choice?

Before interwebz, I understand it would be difficult to know.

I would think if I was in a group of 50 people one of us would say, "hey ya, one of us should go buy a prepaid phone with internet so we can know what is going on in the world".

13. fchowd0311

You really didn't answer my question.

Would removing business licenses for those who hire illegals have more effect in limiting immigration or what DeSantis is doing now with shipping migrants to states his base perceives as their enemy?

But I'll still address your post. What's more cost effective for the tax payer. Going after every individual illegal migrant or going after the business owner that hires them? Which route requires less man power and recourses?

I bring up this because DeSantis as of right now as governor of Florida has the executive power to revoke business licenses from business owners who violate labor laws like hiring illegals. If he isn't doing this right now, that tells me he doesn't sincerely care about this issue outside of riling up his base with red meat.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They knew where they were going. They were told jobs and housing were awaiting them there.

Nobody has suggested they didn't know where they were going. The problem is that they were told that a job and housing awaited them

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is fine. They were too dumb to use google to know MW was a bunch of elitiest who have zero desire to have poor people around them.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That has nothing to do with what they were promised.

The people that lied to them were in authority positions. Looking up anything online would not have told them DeSantis and Ironaide's crew were lying.

Blaming strangers who were lied to people in authority that are arranging the travel is pointless. Why blame the victims?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What DeSantis did is illegal, you can't go using STATE funds to go to another STATE and traffic in humans and send them wherever you want, he should be prosecuted.

DD

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

For the record, I don't think flying migrants to the doorstep of perceived political enemies is something that should be repeated for a long time and scaled.

Good to make a point, but once a point is made, it's made.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This perspective only makes sense if you believe that immigrants who are deemed to be here illegally (i.e. if their asylum claim is denied) willingly return to their native countries. Is that what you believe?

It also assumes that everyone who crosses the border illegally applies for some sort of legal status.

#1339 wekko368, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If their claim is denied the person goes to removal proceedings and is removed from the country.