1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Gov. Phil Bryant helped Brett Favre secure welfare funding for USM stadium, texts reveal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Text messages entered Monday into the state’s ongoing civil lawsuit over the welfare scandal reveal that former Gov. Phil Bryant pushed to make NFL legend Brett Favre’s volleyball idea a reality.

The texts show that the then-governor even guided Favre on how to write a funding proposal so that it could be accepted by the Mississippi Department of Human Services – even after Bryant ousted the former welfare agency director John Davis for suspected fraud.

“Just left Brett Favre,” Bryant textednonprofit founder Nancy New in July of 2019, within weeks of Davis’ departure. “Can we help him with his project. We should meet soon to see how I can make sure we keep your projects on course.”

When Favre asked Bryant how the new agency director might affect their plans to fund the volleyball stadium, Bryant assured him, “I will handle that… long story but had to make a change. But I will call Nancy and see what it will take,” according to the filing and a text Favre forwarded to New.

The newly released texts, filed Monday by an attorney representing Nancy New’s nonprofit, show that Bryant, Favre, New, Davis and others worked together to channel at least $5 million of the state’s welfare funds to build a new volleyball stadium at University of Southern Mississippi, where Favre’s daughter played the sport. Favre received most of the credit for raising funds to construct the facility.

Bryant has for years denied any close involvement in the steering of welfare funds to the volleyball stadium, though plans for the project even included naming the building after him, one text shows.

New, a friend of Bryant’s wife Deborah, ran a nonprofit that was in charge of spending tens of millions of flexible federal welfare dollars outside of public view. What followed was the biggest public fraud case in state history, according to the state auditor’s office. Nonprofit leaders had misspent at least $77 million in funds that were supposed to help the needy, forensic auditors found.

New pleaded guilty to 13 felony counts related to the scheme, and Davis awaits trial. But neither Bryant nor Favre have been charged with any crime.

And while the state-of-the-art facility represents the single largest known fraudulent purchase within the scheme, according to one of the criminal defendant’s plea agreement, the state is not pursuing the matter in its ongoing civil complaint. Current Gov. Tate Reeves abruptly fired the attorney bringing the state’s case when he tried to subpoena documents related to the volleyball stadium.

The messages also show that a separate $1.1 million welfare contract Favre received to promote the program – the subject of many national headlines – was simply a way to get more funding to the volleyball project.

“I could record a few radio spots,” Favre texted New, according to the new filing. “…and whatever compensation could go to USM.”

[​IMG]

New, who is now aiding prosecutors as part of her plea deal, alleged that Bryant directed her to make the payment to Favre in a bombshell response to the complaint in July.

The allegation and defense “are not based on speculation or conjecture,” the Monday court filing reads. “The evidence suggests that MDHS Executives, including Governor Bryant, knew that Favre was seeking funds from MDHS to build the Volleyball Facility … and participated in directing, approving, or providing Favre MDHS funds to be used for construction of the Volleyball Facility.”

The latest motion, filed on behalf of New’s nonprofit Mississippi Community Education Center, represents the first time these messages, which include texts directly between New and Bryant and New and Favre, have been made public. The messages are printed here exactly as they appear in the filing without corrections.

In July, the attorney for New and the nonprofit, Gerry Bufkin, filed a subpoena on Bryant asking for the former governor’s communication related to the volleyball project.

On Aug. 26, Bryant’s recently-hired attorney Billy Quin filed an objection to the subpoena, refusing to turn over the records without a protective order. Quin argued that Bryant’s texts are protected by executive privilege and that producing them to the public would run afoul of existing gag orders in the criminal cases.

way more at the link

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/13/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare/

rockbox, ROCKSS, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Volley ball is a good sport! Especially womens
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

i can get behind this. had a huge crush on the brazilian whamens team when i was much younger. those amazonians know wassups

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who has a volleyball stadium? This story is totally ridiculous.

tinman likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

What, exactly, is ridiculous?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That’s a lot of Wranglers.

Nook, ROCKSS, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its despicable taking money designated for the poor. Only low life's would funnel funds from the welfare system to use for their own personal gratification. It's no wonder Favre and Trump were buddies.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Another confirmation for Brady being GOAT

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The story. Spending welfare money on a volleyball stadium in the poorest state for your daughter. Im just referring to the accusations.

I mean really don't they play volleyball in the basketball facility like everywhere.else. I'm not defending anyone in the story just to be clear.

#10 pgabriel, Sep 14, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's not difficult to answer your question. All you have to do is look at the University website. The new, state-of-the-art building will serve as home to the women’s volleyball program. The new Wellness Center will feature volleyball courts, a training room, a weight room, locker rooms, classrooms, administrative offices, plus additional meeting space available to the community with roughly 1,000 seats.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are some nice looking Olympians playing volleyball, you're not alone especially about the Brazilians.

Jontro and tinman like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm asking about other universities. I don't follow volleyball but I assume it's played at the basketball arena at most schools

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This fix to this is obviously reducing government expenditure and lowering taxes

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Why would you assume that? Volleyball is a big program at some Universities.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I went to UT and UofH. I don't remember

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

this dumbass pgabriel attempting to distract with some irrelevant talking point :rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well UT has one too. SMH. Derailing the thread with off topic stuff.

19. Major

Major Member

UT Volleyball just plays in Gregory Gym. I don't think most schools have dedicated volleyball venues, which is part of makes what they did here so unethical.

tinman and pgabriel like this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why would I be distracting? I think they are guilty