1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. adoo

adoo Member

don't think you have any idea what ur saying

as a result, more taxes will be collected from those making above $400, more taxes will be collected​

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Maybe you underestimate the types of investments available to the wealthy.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well then get someone smarter than me to make sure to capture all those alternative methods also.

5. Major

Major Member

If this year's inflation is entirely blamed on Biden despite it resulting from past decisions, why wouldn't the same apply to poverty? And the decrease in poverty races accelerated dramatically in 2021.

Nook, jiggyfly, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

We've been promised the same in the past. And yet every time we raise taxes on the wealthy, it generates more tax revenue *and* the wealthy don't suffer in terms of income growth, nor does the economy suffer (the other regular doomsday prediction). Wealthy people pay more in taxes and move on with their lives.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Incredibly deceptive article given that taxes have a very long tail (super high income earners) and the categories listed here generally don't.

Always puzzled me why you post from sources like reason.com.

Deckard likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The recent videos illustrate my point. Do you live in a metropolis and if so, do you feel safe?

9. adoo

adoo Member

thus, corroborating my assertion

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There's a difference between "raised taxes" and "significantly raised taxes". A significant difference.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I was responding to a post about capital gains.

12. adoo

adoo Member

if only you understand what ur saying.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Yes, yes I do. I live in one of the bluest areas you can imagine and I guarantee it is safer than where you live. Clown.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

You are right. He has only been a small part of the improvement. But he’s fully responsible for everything bad that’s happened in his first year.

Nook, jiggyfly and Rileydog like this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If you have a point, can you make it? You're just going in circles here.

16. adoo

adoo Member

i am repeating my point again,

you have no idea that you are saying​

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you have no point. Understood.

18. adoo

adoo Member

in his head,

Asians and whites make up one demographic group.

based on that warped logic, he has concluded that a city with a racial demogphics of
    40% asians, 40% whites and 20% other non-whites is not racial diverse because
    one group makes up for 80% of the population​

Nook likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Great, we can all celebrate this success. What contributed to this? What should we do going forward?

https://www.childtrends.org/publications/lessons-from-a-historic-decline-in-child-poverty

Key findings

Finding 1. Lower unemployment rates, increases in single mothers’ labor force participation, and increases in state minimum wages explained about 33 percent of the overall decline in child poverty from 1993 to 2019, but healthy economic conditions alone were not sufficient to protect children from poverty.

Finding 2. As a whole, while demographic shifts did not contribute to the decline in child poverty, they were associated with about 43 percent of the decline in child deep poverty from 1993 to 2019.

Finding 3. The social safety net was responsible for much of the decline in child poverty from 1993 to 2019, cutting poverty by 9 percent in 1993 and by 44 percent in 2019—tripling the number of children protected from poverty over this time.

Finding 4. While the social safety net’s role in reducing child poverty grew considerably over the last quarter century, the United States has made little progress in strengthening the social safety net for children with the least resources—specifically for those in deep poverty. The social safety net reduced deep poverty among children by about two thirds in both 1993 and 2019.

Finding 5. From 1993 to 2019, poverty rates declined—and declined at similar rates—for nearly all subgroups of children. This means that disparities by parental nativity, race and ethnicity, and family structure persisted.

Finding 6. The role of the social safety net in reducing child poverty grew from 1993 to 2019 for nearly every subgroup. However, the social safety net played a smaller role in reducing poverty for some groups of children—specifically, for children in immigrant families, Asian/Hawaiian/Pacific Islander children, Hispanic children, and children without stably employed parents.

Policy recommendations

Recommendation 1. Recraft social safety net programs to prioritize child needs and determine eligibility based on child needs, rather than parent characteristics.

Recommendation 2. Ease administrative barriers to the social safety net for eligible families to reduce child poverty and deep poverty, and to mitigate disparities between subgroups of children.

Recommendation 3. Support stable parental employment and more robust female labor force participation with fair labor markets, higher minimum wages, and affordable, accessible child care.

Recommendation 4. Maintain low teen birth rates by increasing public investment in evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention strategies and safeguarding adolescents’ access to safe abortion.

• In 2022, a momentous Supreme Court ruling—Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization—overturned the legal precedent established by the 1973 Roe v. Wade court case, granting states broad flexibility to impose restrictions on abortion. Restricting adolescents’ access to abortion may slow or reverse recent teen birth trends, and, by extension, have a detrimental influence on child deep poverty. In recent years, teen pregnancy rates, adolescent abortion rates, and the proportion of all abortions completed by adolescents have declined. Still, as of 2019, adolescents ages 15 to 19 accounted for 9 percent of all abortions nationally (an estimated 53,049 abortions). And our analysis found that declines in teen births were associated with 52 percent of the decline in deep poverty rates for children from 1993 to 2019.

Recommendation 5. Promote the economic, social, and caregiving benefits that families bring to children and their parents, and reform policies that undermine their role in children’s lives.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Since "significantly" was never defined either by the OP or by you, it's pretty irrelevant. That said, there is historical evidence to support my assertion and none to support yours.

FranchiseBlade and adoo like this.