1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryan/College Station the new Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Sep 6, 2022.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is BCS in a picture.

jo mama likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

full BCS would be with a maga hat and ridiculously large truck that "rolls coal" while blasting bad bro country music.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing the things that cause people to feel some kind of way.

I made an observation to spark discussion, and somehow people have made it personal about the Aggies and CS.:rolleyes:

I should have known better, but my interest in urban planning and how cities grow got the better of me.

My bad.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can say the same about most of Texas and definitely Magnolia and Montgomery county are those areas **** holes?

Is there good country music?

5. leroy

They put stickers on their dually of longhorns with the horns broken off. The Corps is literally a cult. They wear a ring to say they went there but you don't actually have to graduate to get it. That place is nuts. While I'm not a UT grad, I lived in Austin for 15 years and I can safely say the rivalry was way more on one side than the other.

jo mama likes this.
  6. jo mama

i wouldnt.

i never called anyone a**holes. but if you are the kind of person who rolls coal then you are most definitely an a**hole. that is not up for debate.

of course. some of the greatest music ever made is country music. just not bro country, which is terrible.

7. jo mama

your bad was when you tried to compare growth in BCS to austin. you literally titled the thread "bryan/college station the new austin"! like i said, BCS is definitely showing tons of growth, but calling it the "new austin" is just bizarre.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How the **** is that bad?

Do you even know the growth of the BCS area or projected growth?

The Austin area is probably tapped out and exspensive do you think people are not going to look around for other areas to populate looking for a deal.

The new Austin was just a starting off point of how a similiar centralist area Texas town has grown, how the hell is that bizarre?

What's actually bizarre is you thinking everybody has a MAGA hat and blast bad bro country music in BCS, as if you can't find MAGA hats and bad bro country music in Austin.

And it was a question to spark discussion but for some reason you are acting like I am ******** on Austin and then proceeding to **** on BCS.

Who hurt you my guy?

9. jo mama

you said it was your bad that you tried to spark a discussion. i was pointing out that your bad was actually in the thread title. its not a good comparison at all and pretty much everyone who has posted in here has said as much. i dont see anyone else really trying to make the claim that you are.

yes.
    https://www.bestplaces.net/people/city/texas/college_station
    up roughly 20% since 2020...impressive, but with 1/10th the population.

also...
    https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/housing-activity/#!/activity/MSA/College_Station-Bryan

july 2022
    colllege station with 364 sales, 702 listings and an average price of $344,990
    vs austin with 2,849 sales, 8,709 listings and an average price of $645,115

based on the data im not sure how anyone could call BCS the new austin.

people looking to move to austin are not going to college station. and the notion that austin is tapped out is just as off-base as your thread title.

i dont think i have ever seen anyone wearing a maga hat in austin and i cant recall ever hearing someone blasting bad bro country music whilst rolling coal in austin.

how did i act like you are s***ing on austin? im not even sure if you know that much about austin or central texas...you apparently didnt even know that its spelled san marcos...not san marcus.

so if people comment in your thread and disagree with you that means we are "hurt"? seems like you might be the one who is hurt by people criticizing the premise of your thread!

10. leroy

The Austin area is by no means "tapped out". With the new Samsung plant in Taylor and a s*** ton of open space up and down 130, there is PLENTY of space for growth. Infrastructure wise, they probably should take a pause. But that doesn't mean there isn't land available and lots of it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. jo mama

yeah, multiple cities around here have had to put a halt to new construction b/c they are either out of water, sewage or utility capacity. austins main issue is out-of control growth. we got too big too fast and the infrastructure cant handle it.

micron is also looking at an $20 billion chip factory in lockhart. it was in the news last week that they applied for tax incentives with lockhart ISD.

https://www.statesman.com/story/bus...billion-dollar-microchip-factory/65420201007/

jiggy...i apologize for coming across as overly combative. im just having fun here like everyone else, but i got a little carried away. nothing personal brah!

#71 jo mama, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is basically what's going around all over semi-rural and suburban Texas. Several of the fastest-growing cities in the past couple of decades are around here and have exploded in size. Places like Frisco and Mckinney were around 6,000-20,000 in population in the 90's and are now over 200,000. It's the suburban expansion combined with things like major relocations like Toyota, PGA of America, JP Morgan consolidation, etc. moving here along with smaller companies brought tons of workers and Cali transplants here and other places like Texas.

You mention the Micron fab plant, and I noticed a few months ago that freakin' Sherman, Texas up here is attracting semiconductor fab plants. TI has a big presence in the DFW area, but for some reason Sherman, Tx is now a fab hotbed. lol. TI just started building a $7 billion one a few months ago up there, and there's a possibility they may build up to 3 more in the area totaling something like $30 billion. GlobiTech is building another $5 billion fab there, and GlobalWafers just said a couple of months ago they've decided to build another $5 billion plant up there.

It's nice to see more manufacturing coming back here, though, so I'm not complaining.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh hell no.

College station looks like it was built at the height of the Soviet Union - it is all cement and square, it is one of the ugliest cities I have ever seen, just flat and cement - nothing to anything.

Austin has so much more going for it, than Bryan College station and it is not because of the college....

This has to be a joke......

DD

Squirtle, Ziggy and Rashmon like this.
  14. leroy

That's part of the reason I don't miss living there. IMO, Houston is more proactive about growth and puts in the infrastructure before the people move in. Austin, as progressive as it is, fights itself on obviously and badly needed projects to help manage the growth until it's way too late...constantly playing catch-up. Houston didn't need the Grand Parkway but putting it in before there was growth in the area has alleviated a lot of other issues and created growth that's sustainable because there's already infrastructure in place. I remember when they started the extra lane on MOPAC. I think it took 5 years to build 1 lane to go 5 miles because of all of the infighting and hurdles that had to be jumped. I'm a Democrat all the way but it got to be too much. I'm glad I had left before the Occupy stuff and the homeless situation. Heck, just seeing the scooters everywhere is crazy to me. How hard is it to designate spots for that as opposed to being able to dump them wherever whenever?

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Just curious, but were you born and raised in Texas or naturalized? Historically, that area is bereft of any notable culture of music, food, or entertainment; outside of the A&M militaristic frat boy stuff.

There are multiple areas in & around Austin that would come in ahead of A&M. Georgetown, Round Rock, Taylor, Cedar Park, New Braunfels, San Marcos, hell, even Waco would slot higher in my opinion. In all of my years of living, A&M is the only thing keeping College Station and/or Bryan from becoming typical Texas highway towns.

Ziggy likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A very particular cement too. The whole city is a specific color of beige.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok once again this is not about BCS being an exact clone of Austion and had nothing to do with being the same culturally, why is that so hard for people to understand?

BCS has not been a typical highway town in 30 years and the reason I equated the 2 is that A&M is there and they are continuing to grow so why would you take that out of the equation, do you think Austin would have seen the great growth if UT was not there?

The fact that you think all there is to do in BCS is A&M militaristic frat boy stuff shows you don't a clue about BCS currently, there is great food in the area, again you don't know what you are talking about.

My point once again is if it continues to grow there will also be good entertainment and music and I am sure you can find it already, I just don't look for it.

Did somebody from BCS touch some of you all growing up because the hate is really out of control.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

19. Timbro

Timbro Member

This was one of the main reasons I moved out there ASAP. Feels like living in a concrete box 24/7.

Squirtle and Ziggy like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's your typical city that grew around conservative values. Everything is efficient and spartan, no ascetics. Look at most government buildings in Texas built after the 1950s. Blandy McBlanderson.