1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryan/College Station the new Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Sep 6, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why the **** would they want to be Longhorns.

Some of the most delusional entitled people on the face of the earth.

The fact that you think about this as Aggies vs Longhorns says a lot about your mindset, Longhorns are currently a laughingstock, and it will only get worse once they enter the SEC.

rhino17, Two Sandwiches and tochiee22 like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Cheap troll. Knew I'd get a good response. Sorry.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think I would literally shoot myself if I had to live in Bryan/College Station.

In all seriousness, San Marcos kinda fills the role that you're thinking Bryan/College station will. Close enough to SA / Austin (like 40/45 minutes respectively?) but it's not depressingly rural.

2 hours away from the outer edges of Houston isn't really too much of an appeal imo. I recall it being dirt cheap though, but I was depressed as hell when I was visiting a friend there 10+ years ago. Maybe its changed, but it just seems like shitty empty ruralville with a college campus.

4. Buck Turgidson

But was it really even that good? Or just typical dog-worshiper level?

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I mean, we tell the Aggie jokes for a reason.

6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Gurl ur the only TEN I SEE.

7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

But to the original question, the answer is No. I don't associate BCS anywhere near Austin.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It seems a lot of you brought your Aggie bias to this or think I am saying BCS will be just like Austin, that's not where I was going at all.

People forget Austin was not Austin 20 years ago, no BCS does not have a lot of what Austin has, but it's not some "rural" Podunk town either and a lot of people are moving to the area.
    Why would you shoot yourself if you lived in BCS how is that a serious statement?

SA/Austin is not Houston and Dallas, and it's not 2 hrs away from the outer edge of Houston it's closer to an hr than 2 hrs, isn't San Marcus really a suburb of Austin or S/A?

The fact that you think it's shitty empty ruralville with a college campus shows you really don't have a clue, yeah it's changed a lot in 10 years which is the point.

BCS has not been ruralville in 20 years anyway.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Instead of just blind arguing, why don't you state why you believe BCS is "the new Austin"? Just because the population went up? Go.

jo mama likes this.
  10. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I'll go with Joanna Gaines and Magnolia for $2000

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lol, I have no dog in this fight, I moved out of Texas. I'm not sure why you're so adamant about defending BCS's honor (?), but ok.

You're spot on about tech making cities relevant though, but it'll never happen in BCS unless A&M suddenly has a respectable CS program and an area where young people would actually want to live.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I've never put my finger in that particular butthole, and why would I? ...why on earth would anyone want to be there? Strange thread.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mean... FRISCO, TX is getting tech. It doesn't matter. And H1B VISA holders will work anywhere. BCS still trash tho.

14. Buck Turgidson

They made a bunch of money off of the various editions of the "Aggie Joke Book".

My grandad had several.

Go see your optometrist, 'cause that's your cousin.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Those people are scumbags.

ATXNekko likes this.
  16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

CS program is already respectable, especially for a public. Regardless, I don't think even a top 10 ranking is having any effect on young people/alumni deciding to live there.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It’s not that OP does, the majority of real estate developed (I know quite a few) do. I lived in cstat way back in the day and hated it, but it’s changed and is becoming a hot bed . Not an austin, but a Boston of the south perhaps, with no harvards of r MIT of course.

peoples feelings are irrelevant when it comes to demand for housing and real estate developers pouring money in

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

where were you going then? your thread title says BCS the new austin. can you explain exactly what that means b/c i dont see it at all. BCS is seeing lots of growth, but to say its the new austin is puzzling to me. its an apples-to-oranges comparison. austin is the 10th largest city in the country and the new tech hub. arts/music/creative scene is strong. tons to do outside in town or outside of town. emerging food scene. our houses have almost doubled in value since covid started. nothing wrong with BCS, but again, i dont see how you can call it the new austin.

a better comparison would probably be waco since they have baylor and have been getting a bunch of hype the last decade with the silos and other stuff to do there.

nowhere is what it was 20 years ago, but i would argue austin has changed more than any other major city in the country in the last 20 years and the population growth #'s can back that up (ive been here for 27 years).

understatement of the century brah!

i dont think of san marcOs as a suburb. its its own town, but the ties to austin are far stronger there. if you live in san marcos you are much more likely to commute to austin than sa for work. go 10 minutes south to new braunfels and it flips. commuters are far, far more likely to go to sa than austin.

#58 jo mama, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

As someone with absolutely no skin in the game, Longhorns are infinitely more irritating and delusional than Aggies. It’s not comparable.

That being said, BCS is a dump and will never be Austin.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

full disclousre - i graduated from UT...but i dont agree with this at all. aggies are more cult-like in their aggieness than longhorns are imo. aggies always seemed obsessed with the rivalry while UT didnt seem to get that worked up about it. UT had other schools that were more of a rivalry than A&M was when i was there.

i had a couple cousins who went to a&m and they used to try and give me s*** about going to UT. they spent way more time obsessing over hating UT than they did loving the school they went to. i heard every lame "joke" about UT from them, none of which were actually funny. "austin, where the girls and girls and they guys are girls too...huh huh"

RedRedemption and Turbo like this.