1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Qan

Qan Member

Brown is definitely not a #6 starter...I see him as #4 next year, with Verlander re-signed...#3 if not

2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Without regard to what happens with Verlander this winter If I was looking to trade a pitcher I would start with McCullers. I believe his extension was a mistake. He is not efficient enough to be a starter, and he is too expensive to put in the pen. I do not believe he would be happy with that anyway. As a trade piece he is well established, controllable and is probably a #1/2 starter on about the bottom 15-18 teams.
    If you do not have the heart to let go of Lance the obvious next choice is Hunter Brown. It should be possible to find a trade partner that needs pitching and values him highly enough to give up a good return for him. I have him with a #1 ceiling and a #5 floor with an expected outcome as a #3. He may or may not become as good as any of our existing pitchers but With another game or two this fall and some good fortune he may be at his peak value this December.
    Framber (ace) & Urquidy (#2/3) are controllable through the 2025 season. Javier (#1) and McCullers (#3/4) through 2026, & Garcia (#2/3) through 27. Verlander may or may not be back for a season or maybe even 3 it would be nice to have him but I see no overriding need to replace him if not.. Brown and Whitley have not even started their clocks and only brown has any trade value this winter. There will be no place for a rookie on this team for at least 3 years unless there is an injury to at least two starters.

#202 BlindHog, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's at 6 or 7 only because of a lack of Innings pitched at the MLB level. All our starters would be middle rotation starters or better for 25 other teams.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

According to 538, all our pitchers are above average and that is the formula for sustained success. See Angels, Rangers, etc. on why you just don't give up affordable, premium arms since they are more rare than corner outfielders in the free agent and trade markets. We are essentially the 90s Braves at this point and need at least one more ring to surpass them. Thank goodness we don't have the baseball version of Bill O'Brien running the front office here.

5. Landry's Tooth

I understand, but he's at best #2 and possibly #4 starter next year.

Are you willing to pay him or risk losing him?

His trade value is much smaller as a rental.

If he will extend now for reasonable money i keep no problem...

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

13 pitchers is a limit not a requirement.

lnchan likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

Except he could also be Francis Martes who was a higher ranked prospect...

We know the other guys aren't.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... there shouldn't be a limit. Teams ought to be able to construct their roster however they want.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

That's irrelevant if you can't use them all.

The risk dealing Garcia is if Brown is a bust and Verlander too expensive then you're down to 5 starters and Bielak/Solomon/Ivy as your fill in....

Shifting prospect capital around for prospect capital in places needing long term solutions seems logical to me.

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If he gets on the active roster next year on this team he is a #6 starter or a long reliever. There are just too many great pitchers ahead of him.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Solomon is gone. DFAd and claimed by the pirates.

Marshall Bryant and lnchan like this.
  12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The 13 pitcher limit is in place to reduce the high velocity single inning relievers. That limit is expected to be reduced a couple of more time and wind up at 11. Manfeded again.

13. lnchan

Except Hunter Brown is more than prospect capital now. >facepalm<

14. Landry's Tooth

And we're not really impacted by it because he wasn't being used.

But thank you, i wasn't aware...

15. Landry's Tooth

In what way?

Do you have tyler white in the hall of fame?

Honestly if you're going to be a complete homer i don't know why i should continue responding.

16. Landry's Tooth

8/23/2001
    Shea Stadium

Makes Hunter Brown look like Tyler Brown....

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Astros have been fortunate to only have needed six Starters until McCullers returned who made 7. Brown was only the 8th pitcher to Start a game all season.

Most teams have needed more Starters or used openers or started Relievers in Bull pen games.

No Worries likes this.
  18. lnchan

Honestly if you're going to be a complete Ed Wade i don't know why i should continue responding

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I have to admit, you have me there... calling me ed wade who i wanted fired the day he was hired makes total sense...

Yes. Complete sense since wade dealt quality major leaguers for prospects. That's the exact same as me saying to move a prospect with no where to play for a prospect that can start right away.

You got me there... sick burn....

20. Landry's Tooth

You didn't look it up, did you?

Amazing how little you can tell from a single game major league debut.... i guess unless it's you and all your infinite wisdom able to see the future....