1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair, Murray more athletic, I think young has better arm. Either way, I don’t want either of them. Both wish they could be Wilson.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Another thing to consider is that we are now in an era where top tier qbs get traded every off-season. Stafford, Watson, Wilson, etc. If Mills falters and the Texans are bad they may be better off working on upgrading their overall talent and then making a move for a qb when the time is right.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He lost his go to WR after one catch, believe it affected him. However, I thought he made some nice throws and 1-2 really impressive ones. With that said, I'm weary of OSU QBs and don't think we need to be looking at QB early next draft even if Mills has some challenges next year. Why?

I believe foundationally, Mills has all of the traits of a franchise QB. His biggest LIMFAC is experience. His second biggest issue is talent around him. His third problem is adjusting to his third offense in 3 years.

Only one real way to get QB experience--plays on the field going against different defenses and players. Mills needs reps and I'm not sure he got enough in the pre-season to be ready in this new offense for Indy. We'll see next weekend.

I'm actually excited about the new talent we've added this year in Pierce, because I think a consistent running threat will be the biggest bonus to Mills development. Like Stroud, Mills is very comfortable with one guy (Cooks), but Nico looks like his rapport with Davis has increased and they're working well together. We need that familiarization and comfort with a slot WR and TE to really give this offense and Mills options. Those latter two likely won't come into realization until later in the season (Tyler Johnson and OJ, Brevin or Brown).

While Pep was here last year, he's implemented his offense so there will be some growing pains as the team. The QB has to be the leader and everyone has to do their jobs. I'm hopeful that the transition will be easy and we'll have some things to cheer about this year.

Finally, I believe the wildcard in Mills development will actually be the play of our defense. If our defense is able to play tougher and get turnovers we have a chance to win 6-8 games.

#123 Shark44, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lamar Jackson situation is something to keep an eye on.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree lol

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Lamar ends up in Miami if he doesn’t re-up with Baltimore

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I agree with this 1000%

Shark44 likes this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Will Anderson certainly seems to be the prize. One concern I would have with him in the Texans is what position he'd play. He seems to be a perfect 3-4 OLB but a bit undersized to be a 4-3 DE. Am I wrong?

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

We should just bet on the elite upside of Anthony Richardson if Mills stinks it up this season. Pep can coach him up.

Two Sandwiches and houston19519 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He can play any position

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let's do it!

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

LSU's QB, Jalen Daniel's, looked good last night. He looked good when he played at ASU too.

I think the Texans will have several to chose from even if they have a good record. We'll see

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There are quite a few QBs going to be there in middle of first.
    Daniel’s isn’t one of them.

Levis, Richardson, Van Dyke, McKee, McCall are all legit prospects.
    McCall may end up the best one

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Haynes King is the most athletic QB in this years potential draft class. If he does well this season at A&M I can see him rising boards.
    4.4 speed and strong arm, just doesn’t have QB processing, like Richardson

15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He may have tested well for speed, but much like Deshaun Watson vs Davis Mills, running in a game involves much more than raw speed. Cutting ability, vision, balance, creativeness, and elusiveness come to mind. In those aspects, Anthony Richardson and even KJ Jefferson appear much more athletic than Haynes King. This is why even though Joe Burrow is technically slow, he can still run decently because he has all of the other skills to make his tuning more effective. Davis Mills has none of those so he looks slow in game.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Haynes King was a three sport athlete, that shows up on the field. To say he doesn’t have agility, wiggle, balance or all of the above is just asinine.
    He is the most athletic prospect at QB in the draft overall. Richardson is a very close 2nd if not a dead heat. KJ isn’t even in the conversation, arm talent is also part of the equation in athleticism.

Edit* I probably would give Richardson the edge over King, not because the speed and agility but because Richardson is doing close to the same levels as King while being 230+ lbs.
    Richardson is an impressive physical specimen. He and Levis are the two that could be Josh Allen. I think Levis is further along as a QB

#136 cmoak1982, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s still got a lot of upside. I hope he’s the guy, tap into some of the tested athleticism

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Another name to look at is Drake Maye, he’s not in this class but the dude has everything. Arm, size, mobility and It

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What
    Curious as to why you think King is a better option than Daniels?