1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Rockets will practice on Pleasure Pier in between Iron Shark and Bubba Gump o_O

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Lol I’m pro entertainment venue I just hope it’s close enough in the city.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets meanwhile still practicing at the NBA’s equivalent of the local YMCA

Yung-T, TheRealist137, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m one of those that thinks this is a little overblown, but these places are nice. Even if they don’t do much to improve actual practices, you have to consider them a benefit for recruiting and retention.

5. ipaman

i agree. multiple courts would help run a practice and a "gem" of a facility would help recruit but honestly i don't see much value otherwise. i think it would be great to have a fan experience facility more than anything else.

don grahamleone, theDude and Easy like this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Tilfer’s Houston Rockets: crap uniforms to match the crap practice facility.

Little Bit and Nook like this.
  7. bmd

bmd Member

It’s about appearances. You don’t want to seem like a franchise that’s stuck in the mud while everyone else is upgrading facilities and putting money into the player areas.

I mean, at this point, are the Rockets the only team in the NBA without a state-of-the-art practice facility?

It may not seem like a big deal, but players notice. Why wouldn’t you want your team to be on the same playing field as the rest of the league?

kdchilds and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. bmd

bmd Member

As I said in the OP, Denver, Phoenix, Charlotte, Miami, and Orlando were the only teams without a dedicated practice facility.

Orlando just unveiled theirs.

Phoenix finished theirs in 2020.

Charlotte was just approved by the city to build a brand new practice facility: https://www.atthehive.com/platform/...n-to-build-new-practice-facility-extend-lease

That leaves Miami, Denver, and Houston as the only teams left.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

20 years ago, the wave was demanding state of art arenas. Now it's demanding state of art practice facilities.

Ultimately, all these are paid by us, tax money, ticket prices, TV, etc.

napalm06 and verysimplejason like this.
  10. verysimplejason

That's the truth but it also reflects that times change. Changes most of the times are needed on your tools, process or strategy if you want to compete. You have to invest if you want to become champs.

Easy likes this.
  11. ipaman

Because t*tties and ass in the clubs are what players notice. I would argue, outside of LA, MIA, NY, ATL, we are ABOVE the playing field against the rest of the league. We got that hot ass weather and them hot ass women. Good food too!

kdchilds and BigM like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

There’s something in between this state of the art **** and the Rockets cheap ass gym. It’s like they’re stuck in the 90s and are going to Galveston still

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ok but do Orlando players get free, endless chicken tenders from Saltgrass Steakhouse?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rockets continue to have the LTS YMCA gym as their practice facility

topfive likes this.
  15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I get its a joke lol, but I do think Tilman offers the players a lot of perks, some which may not even be legal under CBA, but I think having this owner who owns a ton of hotels and restaurants is beneficial. His group owns some higher end places now in trendier locations, they own Catch in LA, a lot of stuff in Vegas etc. The one thing I did notice when CP3 was here, when Harden and PJ were here, everyone had cars from Post Oak Rolls / Bentley. Tilman owns these dealerships. I do not think its a coincidence that 50%+ of the 2017-2020 roster had RR's, GT Coupes, etc. Also, Tilman recently upgraded the team jet as well, as the guys were super impressed by that last year. If you follow the players on IG, when they travel they are often staying places where Tilman likely hooked them up. Some players may find the luxury hotel suites, restaurants, and access to Rolls and Bentley dealerships a better perk.

This type of facility is cool, but as far as recruiting yeah maybe it helps with a a college kid going to college, but these are guys with 9 figure guaranteed contracts, you usually see them in private gyms working out anyways. The younger guys are drafted, so they dont really have much of a choice anyways. At least from the guys i follow on IG, Ariza, Harden, etc, they seem to be utilizing the facilities of personal trainers. I still think they do need a better facility though, this current one is just sad.

#395 BallSoHarden, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Zen Tabak and kdchilds like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tyty didn't get the memo. He's still eating at Cane's

17. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

If they do ever build a dedicated facility then they should convert the existing one at the TC to a brewery.

Deckard likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

exactly.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why do we care about where these millionaires work out, again?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not if when all the high draft picks start getting paid and they have to give a % to building a facility.

joking

Easy likes this.