1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like Rockets dodged a bullet.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Dodged a bullet indeed

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hard to feel sorry for either party when both colluded to keep other teams from seeing his medicals during draft prep

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good luck to the young man on his rehab. I liked his fit for us because of his defense, but after further review Jabari's defensive fit may be even better.

With that said, I think more teams will start to scrutinize these kinds of basketball demonstrations (especially for young guys whose bodies are still developing). I remember going through some intense mil training as a 30/31 year old. Most of the 18-20 year olds were turning up with stress fractures and other "use" related injuries because their bodies weren't use to the kind of stress and hadn't matured enough. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but seems like something that teams will want some say in given their investments in these kid's future.

clos4life, Hakeemtheking and theDude like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So the pertinent question is, Where is that lazy bum Jabari when all his peers are busy playing pick up games to hone their skills?

Jontro and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lisfranc I believe is like the worst possible outcome...someone with the education can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Still man, it is better this happened now than when he's like 28 and in his prime. Better for the team and player. Of course you'd rather it not happen at all but his body is still young and there is no rush for him to come back for some championship window. Embiid had a few tough injuries to start his career and he's turned out to be an amazing player.

Sucks for OKC fans though, hard to watch a bad team with no new exciting rookie to argue over for a year.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Lisfranc injury is essentially the injury that ended Matt Schaub's career on the Texans. It completely robbed what little mobility he had to begin with and made him essentially a statue behind an increasingly poor o-line. He sustained it after Fat Albert fell on his foot. This lends credence to those saying the injury was sustained by LBJ stepping on his foot.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Working out like when Giannis first came in the league…quietly

clos4life, CarlosGM and Easy like this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You can just tell by looking at a player when they get that tall if they will be injury prone. Their bone structure will tell you what you need to know. Certain people that tall look off in ways and certain people look like a taller version of someone who is 6 foot.

10. alethios

alethios Member

Would we have chosen him though or rolled with Ivey or Murray? I certainly hope that was in Stone's mind, especially not having access to medicals.

11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

My god he out for the year, this is the most obvious tank job.

Jontro likes this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m really surprised NBA contracts don’t have some sort of provision prohibiting participation in those sorts of events. I thought most other pro sports contracts did.

pr0wler and Shark44 like this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is true, until you start talking about guys at 7'4". Guys at that height and up are universally playing limited minutes before they're 30 and out of the league not long thereafter.

pr0wler likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

watching this unfold and thinking - Hell Naw, not me!

Easy likes this.
  15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This is why it's dumb for these lottery drafts to be playing so many games in the summer especially against non-pro players in competitive games.

I'm glad Jabari is hitting up every rec league in the summer and training more in-staff with our own players or other NBA players.

jim1961 likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose I am of several minds on the subject.

1) What happened to Chet can happen to anyone, at any time.
    2) If a poll had been conducted right after the draft that asked, Which of the top 3 picks do you think is mostly to have serious injury and/or be injury prone? I am pretty sure the answer would have been Chet, overwhelmingly.
    3) While my heart reaches out to Chet, and wish him a God speed recovery, I don't mind seeing Presti's plans delayed by a year. Or perhaps derailed entirely.
    4) I saw some story about him playing in some sort of unauthorized tourny, IF TRUE, wtf was he doing?

In any case, things could turn ok for OKC and Chet if he heals well and next year he is as good as new.

Over the next several months, I expect contradictory reports. Some will make it seem like he will never be the same, others will expect you to believe a complete recover is imminent.

BallSoHarden, BMoney and seeingredtx like this.
  17. what

what Member

Remember that Joel Embiid missed significant time at the beginning of his career, but again — with centers that is the risk you take when taking them.

pr0wler likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Embiid missed two seasons at the start. Came back for a third of a season and went down again. He has been injury prone throughout his career. Ben Simmons, another Philly high pick, missed a whole season. (Ben missed another season due to mental injury. :D) Earlier, Blake Griffin miss a whole season at the beginning. He later had several seasons where he missed substantial numbers of games.

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Why do I have a feeling the Sam Presti is lying about his Injury.

Maybe Chet Holmgren did break his foot and needs a metal plate for his fracture similar to Kevin Durant injury.

LeBron James stepped on Chet Holmgren foot and Chet couldn't put any pressure on his foot.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

tough pill to swallow for OKC when this happens in a meaningless game. like others have said... 'men of size' is an entirely different beast. there isn't alot of dudes out there who are this tall/long/skinny who last in the NBA... is there a metric for this?

while it's nice to have size/length... history says: the taller/longer, the shorter the career. There are exceptions of course.

side question: can we get a list of USA/American white guys who are 6'10' or taller who last in the NBA? like... 'play meaningful minutes for 5+ years' last?