1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Miguel Ullola vs. Charleston: 5 IP, ER, 2 BB, 10 K

The run scored on a groundout. Ullola has 100 strikeouts in 61.2 innings this season. Big red flag is that out of all the pitches he's thrown this season, half of them have been strikes and half have been balls. Also, that 6.13 BB/9 definitely has to be cut down. But, he's been nearly untouchable since turning pro and missing bats will give him some rope as he progresses through the system.

#2221 tellitlikeitis, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Spencer Arrighetti was promoted to AA and made his debut with the Hooks tonight. Great sign for him and he will be a breakout candidate next season. Cesar Gomez was also promoted to AA. Colton Gordon was promoted to High a and a boatload of the recently drafted pitchers were promoted to Fayetteville from the complex.

Alex McKenna’s roster status shows as suspended. Not sure what’s up there.

prospecthugger and Htown Legend like this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

McKenna got tossed on Saturday, so I guess that's what the suspension stems from.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Brinson just blasted a grand slam against Las Vegas. Up to 19 bombs for the year. I know he's sucked every chance he's had in MLB, and is unlikely to be called up, but he's having a good season for Sugar Land.

Htown Legend and raining threes like this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Corey Julks with his 23rd homer of the year:

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have been wondering if he comes back for another year or tries to hook up someplace else next season.

7. Buck Turgidson

Well OK then...boom

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Not Hunter Brown's greatest outing, but he's in a launching pad and well, it's a good thing his offense backed him up with 16 runs.

9. HTown2017Champs

He made it through 5 innings, allowing 4 runs (only 3 of them earned), 5 hits and no walks, so his BB/9 will improve.
    Barring something unforseen he's going to get his 8th win of the year.

Korey Lee has 3 bombs so far, but as you said, Las Vegas (like Albuquerque and a few other places in the PCL) is an absolute launching pad, so in regular conditions the power likely wouldn't translate.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

11. Buck Turgidson

Look at the BP!!!

Vegas Baby Vegas
    • 3 dingers by Korey Lee
    • 2 long pokes by Yainer Diaz
    • 2 deep flies from Lewis Brinson
    • 1 pop off the bat of Corey Julks
    • 1 from JJ Matijevic too
    Currently 23-4 in the bottom 9

Just stupid ****.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

Las Vegas, Reno, Albuquerque, El Paso, Salt Lake City. The PCL is such an insane hitter's league. Makes his 3.13 ERA, .203 BAA, and 1.21 WHIP (away games only) all the more impressive.

Wulaw Horn, Nook and raining threes like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Julks played 2B last night. Thinking they are stretching him defensively in anticipation of him being added to the 40 man. He’s played a lot of 3B and looked decent there, if he can add 2B in addition to all 3 OF spots then he will be a pretty valuable player especially since he projects as a league average bat.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wonder how the Astros feel about the PCL.

Seems like not such a good place to get a good read on how good your actual players are.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm sure they have their own metrics on how far beyond the fences a HR has to be to be a HR in MLB. I'm pretty sure Yordan spent time in the PCL (or earlier equivalent) and he still managed to get the Astros attention.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Definitely some positive regression. Gotta appreciate that 141wRC+ and .277 ISO over the last 4 weeks. His profile definitely still sucks though. Still running a 29.3% K-rate during the last month. And his hot steak having a .257 avg, not great. Can't remember the last I saw a prospect with a 36% K rate in A ball do anything of note.

He and the Astros are probably working on it, but he's a total swing overhaul kinda guy. Clearly needs serious work with swing mechanics AND swing decisions. I wouldn't pencil him in to anything anytime soon.

Nook likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There has to have been a change in contact quality, it can’t just be positive regression. But I agree that he obviously still has major flaws that unless major changes are made he wont be a factor. But I’m optimistic that this month is the first of several positive steps.

Nook and prospecthugger like this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I noticed MLB has adjusted our Top 30 post draft now, and really like the look of it aside from Joe Perez. I do not understand him at #9. He's been flat out terrible in AA, and not good defensively. I know he's just 23, but I'd start thinking about the switch to pitching.

19. HTown2017Champs

He also crushed the Texas League, and had the peripherals (hard hit, contact rate, BB-K numbers, etc) that suggested he wasn’t a product of the environment in the PCL.

20. Screaming Fist

Who is Jose Fleury? 20 year old in the DSL with an insane 38% K-BB in 38 IP. Even more impressive than that, the guy has a ****ing ridiculous 53% SwStr% this season. Over half of his pitches have been whiffs. 261 strikes out of 287 pitches thrown this season lmao.

Snake Diggit likes this.