1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Great post thanks

Snake Diggit and BlindHog like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Future of the outfield.

To me it's crazy how many OF are in the top 30, and even in the top half.

It feels like yesterday there were just a couple and about 25 pitchers.

I want to do a deep dive and predict which guys make MLB and which end up starters and stars ( if any)

Before researching first impressions

Gilbert feels like a leadoff guy who can be Springers attitude and energy with Bregman's bat but LH.

Barber feels like he could end up being a poor man's Brantley even moving to LF.

Leon feels like a very good CF or spectacular RF. He should have 30-30 upside but Ks will determine his fate.

Plus

Melton, Clifford, Dirden, Cerny, Brewer, Julks, Whitaker, Hamilton, Baez, Gomez, Daniels all in MLBP pipeline, Fangraphs, and/or Baseball America top 30-33.

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Luhnow always kept more pitchers than needed to raise the number of marketable prospects. A good third baseman is nice but if you do not need one there are a limited number of teams that will be in the market in any givin year. A good pitching prospect will always have a broad market. It was one of the smartest things Luhnow did. Click is undoing it as quickly as he can and because we are choosing at the bottom of each round corner outfielders are what is left available. Almost all the "center fielders" we got this year are guys that really project as corner outfielders.
    Instead of picking the best first rounder left at the end of the round we should be looking at the best second rounder available. Instead of the dregs of the second round look for the very best third rounder, and so on.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

A DSL Orange game from July 21 is now complete and Luis Baez went 2-4 with a bases-clearing double and 3 runs scored. Baez now has a .306/.348/.560 line with 9 home runs and 43 RBI this season.

Jose Guedez allowed a run on 4 hits and struck out 8 over 4.1 innings of work. He is now 3-0 with a 0.69 ERA (nice) this year.

#2124 tellitlikeitis, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This makes no sense to me.

So you are saying they should pass up lower level 1st rd talent and draft 2nd rd talent in the 1st rd?

Then pass on 2nd rd talent so they can draft 3rd rd talent in the 2nd rd?

6. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Yep, that is what he is saying.

7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

The only way I can see that what he's saying would make sense is if he's trying to save some bonus money. Otherwise......

8. prospecthugger

I'm pretty sure minor league wRC+ is league, but not park adjusted. I have thought Palma is interesting for some time due to age/position/production. The big unknown for me is his defense, and i'm not sure how the offense will translate to the upper levels. The low BABIP and modest power output prior to Asheville makes me cautious about the contact quality. Still, he's potentially a catcher who can hit, which is incredibly valuable.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The fact that he’s played such a high % of his games at catcher (104 at C, 38 at 1B, 2 at DH) makes me think he’s at least viable defensively, but I haven’t seen him play defense. He looks pretty short and squatty so I imagine 1B would be his only alternative and even that would put a big ding on his value. But for now he is certainly worth tracking. He’s hitting well enough that it’s possible he gets to AA pretty early next season at which point we will get a lot better idea of how good he is.

prospecthugger likes this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

What I am saying is it felt like the approach to this draft was we are picking at the very bottom of the round so we will take whatever they leave us. Instead of we are two picks ahead on the second round, Lets Go! Click played safe all the way. Maybe that is what was needed but it is not what got us here.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

lol I remember Ariel ovando

Whatever happened to him ?

13. Buck Turgidson

Never made it above A-ball and was out of US baseball at age 20. I'd imagine he's playing in the Dominican or somewhere.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Zach Daniels has 2 HR tonight and has an ops >1000 since June 1st. He’s in position to start next season in AA and could be a big breakout candidate. Still has strikeout issues but huge upside with legit potential for 25/25 and good CF defense.

prospecthugger and No Worries like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tyler Whitaker has 2 hits tonight and has an ops >900 so far this month. Still really bad strikeout problems (>30% this month) but obviously starting to make some higher quality contact.

prospecthugger likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, it's good that you have a basic understanding of how a draft works, you get what's left after others have selected.

You just made 2 of the stupidest posts I have seen, and I have seen some stupid ones.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only been 5 appearances but Colton Gordon has been consistently dominant in Fayetteville. Definitely one to follow. Won’t know much until he gets to Corpus.

BlindHog and prospecthugger like this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Maybe so but this was the stupidest draft I have ever seen and I have seen some stupid ones. You can draft passively and gain nothing or you can aggressively go for the players that have a real chance to help your organization. I am sorry that is difficult for you to understand. in the future I will keep my statements simple and easy for you to follow without having to apply any thought of your own. Sometimes if the best you can come up with is to call someone stupid you are better off keeping your damn mouth shut.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Sugar Land and OKC are playing a doubleheader tonight and the Space Cowboys just scored 17 runs (batted around twice) in the 6th inning of game 2.

Korey Lee, Alex De Goti, Scott Manea, David Hensley, and Yainer Diaz all got three plate appearances in the inning.

#2139 tellitlikeitis, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Back to back day scoring 21 runs for the organization

J.R. likes this.