1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keto Tips.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've done the keto/borderline carnivore thing for just over 3 years now (<15 net carbs a day). You wouldn't believe how many people advised me not to, there's a lot of misinformation out there that is firmly believed by many doctors, pharmacists, and others who REALLY should know better. Despite that, 3 years in and my labs continue to get better across the board, I have noticeably more energy, and I notice that inflammation from chronic injuries is less of an issue unless I'm stupid about it. I didn't really do it for weight loss, I think the overall health benefits are by far the best reason to dump the carbs....but as a fringe benefit, within 6 months of starting I was back to the same weight as when I was demolishing PT tests in the Army forever ago.....but I'm not going to be doing the 2 mile run any time soon. While cutting out the carbs, at least for me, seems to make workouts more effective it won't make your joints in any better condition.

I never got into making the weird keto versions of stuff you can't eat on keto.....I feel like that's setting yourself up for failure. If you stay in the habit of eating "keto bread", it won't be long before you just scarf down the real thing.

For me it was better to just break the carb addiction outright by simply abstaining from those things rather than looking for sneaky ways to avoid changing eating habits entirely.

Surfguy and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

try pistachios to help both with evening munchies and the fat

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Tried my 1st meal substituting cauliflower for rice and I can't really tell the difference, it's a bit of a game changer.

Flavor is not all the way there, but mouth feel and sight are the same.

I can do a lot substituting it for rice.

The great thing is you can get it several ways at Walmart.

cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cauliflower mashed potatoes can be very good.

cmoak1982, Rocket River and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I had not thought about it as mashed potatoes, sounds like more work than it's worth, especially if it tastes the same.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

Cauliflower Pizzas aren't horrible either
    (man I get hungry soon after though)

Rocket River

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Man the cauliflower really cleans the pipes.:eek:

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you ever wiped so many times that you finally said **** it and just took a shower?

Roscoe Arbuckle and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No problem wiping too much, the transfer was mostly clean.

Just a little violent.:eek:

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Interesting reading how Keto affects everyone differently. When I’m on Keto I don’t get super hungry and I don’t crave junk at all. Sometimes have to force myself to eat.

For me when I eat bread made of almond flour I also don’t crave bread that is made of regular flour. I have a massive sweet tooth and I don’t crave sweets when I’m Ketosis either.

I can tell a huge difference when I take a break. Sometimes it will be a week and I will eat whatever I want. After about day 3 I feel like crap. Jump right back over to Keto and about two days in I feel great again. It’s a lifestyle more than it is a diet. You’re either in it or you’re not.

Bobby is right on the inflammation and labs coming back great. It’s been a total game changer for my life. I started it for health reasons and not trying to lose weight. I don’t see myself ever going back to carbs. Eliminating sugar does wonders for the body.

11. mikol13

Supporting Member

42933C53-D1C4-49BB-AC78-476B8AB399B6.jpeg

Here is the pizza I make from almond flour among other things. It’s freaking amazing.

jiggyfly, Xerobull and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That looks great.

I am going to graduate into making my own bread and pizza crust.

Can you make good keto bread with a bread maker, I have one that I seldom use.

mikol13 likes this.
  13. mikol13

Supporting Member

I’m not sure on the bread seeing as I don’t have a bread maker. I’m more than sure you can though. I’d be surprised if not.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am feeling kind of the same way, and I too have a massive sweet tooth.

I have not checked my weight in a week, will do that next week, but I feel tighter and my clothes are looser.

Been having some discomfort down below, but I think I have isolated what it is that I have eaten that causes it.

It was some plant based cheese puffs, taste pretty good but not great coming out, been having some irritation.:(

mikol13 likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Throw two tablespoons of Citrucel Sugar Free in your energy drink mix and it helps with the sweet craving.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Exercising and caffeine suppress appetite. Study the glycemic index, the foods that make you hungrier afterwards are in there.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. mikol13

Supporting Member

You need a good probiotic if you don’t take one. That will fix your gut issues.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What would you recommend?

Its not all the time, it seems it happens when I eat these plat based cheese balls.

They are pretty good, but it seems that's when the issue starts.

I'm done with them, but I probably still need a good probiotic.

This is them.

19. mikol13

Supporting Member

A good probiotic is crazy important to gut and overall health. I recommend it highly. “Align” works great for me. One a day.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Found these on Amazon, they are great as a snack and the portions in the bag are just right, not too skimpy and not too much.

Both flavors are great.