1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've said before I think his salary next year is around the NT-MLE.
    I mistakenly thought the MLE would be closer to his cap hit figure which is $9.65m
    That figure is actually a first year salary of $11,283,000, then figure in standard 8% raises over the course of the contract.
    MLE is a minimum of 3 years max of 4.

$11,283,000
    $12,185,640
    $13,160,491 team option
    $14,213,330 team option

4/50,842,461

That's what I think he gets offered via FA from a team over the cap.
    Don't see teams with cap space using their space to make him a bigger offer, they'll be looking for established stars with that.

Statistically -

16.5ppg
    6.0rpg
    6.5apg
    3.3 tpg
    .355 3pt%
    .725 FT%
    31% assist

#1061 Corrosion, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I missed the made part, that's an awkward sentence.

Still does not change anything else I posted.

You want to try and attempt to refute everything else I posted?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The stat is not random, the players you chose are random, thereby making the stat random.

Once again you make little sense and seem to just say random **** and hope it sticks.

KPJ shot 37% on 7 attempts a game, so why are attempts even being discussed?

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its fair to hold onto these types of reservations. Season long numbers can look pretty bad depending on what the focus is. My take is that as soon as CWood was out of the lineup (last 7 games of the year) both KPJ and Jalen EXPLODED. You can even offer different segments of the season for these guys past the horrendous first 20 games or so.

That should carry over with Jabari offering better spacing and knock down outside shooting. I dont want to actively tank personally, but I also dont expect more than 33ish wins. If win/losses are going to be the jump off point for debate then it doesnt seem to be apples to apples with such a young team and a terrible stretch of games on the road to start the season. I would like to see progress in game plans and the players attacking with a purpose. Even in a "bad" year this squad can gain invaluable experience.

Believe It! and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'll just leave this here.

ApacheWarrior and jiggyfly like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW.

So now she is a groupie?

And you know this how?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody plays like those 3 and it's been to the detriment of the league. However, a lot of what you said about Francis and Mobley still applies to many current players (KPJ included,) also to the detriment of the league.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cleveland's coaching staff is the reason we picked him up, there were articles on it.

I seem to remember there were personal contacts between coaches that were used.

Bickerstaff is a huge reason he came to the Rockets.

Cavs' coach Bickerstaff proud of Kevin Porter Jr's success
    https://www.audacy.com › ... › Sports › Houston Rockets

Feb 3, 2022 — A year after the trade that sent him to the Rockets, Cavs head coach J.B. Bickerstaff says he keeps close tabs on Kevin Porter Jr.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are a lot of people rooting against him, and you know it.

Anybody reading this thread can see it.

I don't fancy him a star player either, that has little to do with anything.

Verbal Christ and Bobbythegreat like this.
  10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even know whoever it is y'all are putting on a pedestal but KPJ probably has girls in every city they travel to. Stop using his dating life as an example of why he is a good player/person. He is a grown man, he should be able to handle his business regardless of his personal relationships.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Because my post was written as an answer to somebody who mentioned his catch and shoot % as a proof to his shooting well. That was the relevant info.

How do you think the players are random is beyond my understanding. These are the people with similar catch and shoot % but way more attempts. What part of this is random?

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks.

So it seems KPJ is shooting more difficult shots at a far greater clip while still shooting a high percentage, and this is bad how? @AlperenSengun?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I said MLE money before.

Next year's MLE is $11,283,000

Your report above states $11.8m

Don't think I'm far off.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those players had way more catch and shoot attempts and that is an easier shot yet the percetanges are similiar.

What's better, a guy that can make contested 3's at a high rate or a guy that is mainly a catch and shoot guy?

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Oh Ok now it makes sense you meant next years MLE got it! So 4Ms is the deal breaker? How will 4Ms prevent the team from making moves or how does it hinder the cap? The figure that outlet cited was "real" value (another whimsical created stat) in what his actual contract is vs the on court output. Houston is getting a heck of a deal! We cant keep living with that Dollar General type of mindset in roster construct. Team will have to divvy it up soon. I still contend you dont like him on the team for more reasons than cap or talent and thats fine.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I hope you took your vitamins buddy - I can do this all day!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That was the whole point of my and several others' argument, if you bothered to read the relevant posts. Instead of looking at catch and shoot 3s, or 3s you should look at all parts of his shooting, including 2pts, free throws. And when you look at that, it is hard to conclude kpj is a very good shooter. But if that's what you get out of these numbers, I am happy for you.

20. i3artow i3aller

Settling for heavily contested shots ain't all it's cracked up to be :rolleyes: