1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You tell me, as a child of illegal immigrants I believe you have the inside game on that at least. What do you think about the border situation brah?

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Bro, they should open the borders bro....

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NewYorker was a joke that went too far. I was using it primarily to test out views from conservative friends on liberals on this board. That's really all it was. People want to know why I like @Os Trigonum even though I disagree with him, because I get a lot of times what he is doing.

By the way, that **** was over 15 years ago lol. I can't believe people still care so much about it.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at not admitting he was a troll

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In semi-related news...

Giuliani spends 6 hours at courthouse for grand jury testimony in Georgia election probe
    WASHINGTON — Rudy Giuliani spent more than six hours at a courthouse in Atlanta on Wednesday to provide testimony before a grand jury that's looking into possible 2020 election interference, days after he was informed he's a "target" of the criminal probe.

It wasn't immediately clear what questions Giuliani was asked during the closed-door testimony at the Fulton County courthouse. He left the building in an SUV through a secure underground garage and didn't speak to reporters.

A judge last week ordered Giuliani, Donald Trump's former personal attorney and the former mayor of New York City, to appear in person before the special grand jury handling the case. Lawyers for Giuliani had sought to delay the testimony, arguing he was unable to fly to Georgia from New York because of a recent medical procedure, but the judge ordered him to appear, even if it meant finding an alternative means of transportation.

Prosecutors tell Rudy Giuliani he is a target of election inquiry
    Aug. 16, 202200:49
    Lawyers for Giuliani were told Monday that he is a “target” of the inquiry, attorney Robert Costello said. Initially, as part of their efforts to compel Giuliani’s testimony, Georgia prosecutors told New York courts that Giuliani was only a material witness.

The grand jury, called by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, subpoenaed Giuliani early last month as a material witness as part of an investigation into what she characterized as “coordinated attempts to unlawfully alter the outcome of the 2020 elections.” The subpoena alleged Giuliani made statements at legislative hearings in Georgia falsely claiming that there had been “widespread voter fraud” in the state.

A New York judge initially ordered Giuliani to testify after he failed to appear at a July 13 hearing to challenge the Georgia subpoena.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good thing the FBI now knows the floor plan...

Trump CFO’s plea deal could make him a prosecution witness

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump’s chief financial officer is expected to plead guilty to tax violations Thursday in a deal that would require him to testify about illicit business practices at the former president’s company, two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Allen Weisselberg is charged with taking more than $1.7 million in off-the-books compensation from the Trump Organization over several years, including untaxed perks like rent, car payments and school tuition.

The plea deal would require Weisselberg to speak in court Thursday about the company’s role in the alleged compensation arrangement and possibly serve as a witness when the Trump Organization goes on trial in October on related charges, the people said.

The two people were not authorized to speak publicly about the case and did so on condition of anonymity.

Weisselberg, 75, is likely to receive a sentence of five months in jail, to be served at New York City’s notorious Rikers Island complex, and he could be required to pay about $2 million in restitution, including taxes, penalties and interest, the people said. If that punishment holds, Weisselberg would be eligible for release after about 100 days.

[more at the link]

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/unseal...arland-11660773845?mod=hp_opin_pos_2#cxrecs_s

Unseal the Mar-a-Lago Search Affidavit
    Justice shouldn’t be able to leak to the press while it keeps its legal justification secret.

By The Editorial Board
    Aug. 17, 2022 6:50 pm ET

Federal Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart will hold a hearing Thursday on whether to unseal the affidavit the Federal Bureau of Investigation used to justify last week’s search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home. The public interest is best served if the judge lets Americans see what now only he and federal officials know.

On Friday Judge Reinhart released the warrantfor the search after Attorney General Merrick Garland and Mr. Trump urged its release. The public gleaned some general information from the warrant and what was gathered but not enough to conclude if the unprecedented search of a former President’s home was justified. The affidavit almost certainly includes more detail about the legal and factual basis for the search.

The rub this time is that the Justice Department wants to keep the affidavit secret lest its release compromise the criminal investigation. But that’s what Justice and the FBI always say. Mr. Trump has called for the affidavit’s release, so the judge can’t claim any risks to the former President’s privacy.

Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina Senator, has also called for the affidavit’s release because “we’re flying blind in the dark.” He’s right. This is an extraordinary case, and the public interest is enormous. Mr. Trump may run for President again, yet he is vulnerable to leaks from the government that damage his reputation but may have little factual basis.

Last week someone told the Washington Post that Justice believes Mr. Trump had documents related to nuclear secrets, but the warrant revealed no such evidence. It did contain a reference to possible violation of the Espionage Act but again without evidence or elaboration.

We should add that Dow Jones & Co., the owner of this newspaper, has filed a motion with the court seeking the release of the affidavit. “Continued concealment is likely more injurious than disclosure,” the motion says, “as the nature of political discourse, which abhors a vacuum, has pumped all kinds of sensational suppositions into the informational void.”

Mr. Trump and the public deserve to know more about why and how he might be charged with a crime.

Appeared in the August 18, 2022, print edition as 'Unseal the Mar-a-Lago Affidavit'.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that LEO cannot get a warrant unless they establish probable cause and in a case like this very strong cause. In this case there was an inside tip that Trump still had top secret documents.

Andre0087, FranchiseBlade and ROCKSS like this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The search warrant is sufficient. The DOJ doesn’t owe us that information unless he is criminally charged. Not only does that impair their investigation, it could put sources at risk and reveal highly sensitive classified information. The WSJ knows this.

And I have little sympathy for Trump World claiming rampant sensationalized speculation regarding the investigation, given this is the mode of discourse they have trafficked in since the beginning.

Nook, mdrowe00, jiggyfly and 6 others like this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The rule of law that has been followed in the past is that you don't unseal it until you file charges, everyone acts like this is news. If they do release it and its redacted I am not sure that will appease anyone, the gop wants it to be shown so they can see who is ratting them out (cough, cough, Kush)...............hell I want to see it but if its not the right time its not the right time and fox can yell from the rooftop that it needs to be released but if the shoes on the other foot they would have a different take, they act like this is somehow out of the norm when in fact they know better, sucks for the daily news cycle but we may have to wait and let this play out.................no one is above the law and in the same vein we should not bend the rules to appease the public, I get it that these are special circumstances and I am all for doing anything that will help, such as releasing the info last Friday which didnt seem to compromise anyone or the actual investigation.

mdrowe00, jiggyfly, Xopher and 3 others like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

another view from the Federalist

Judge Won’t Unseal The Mar-a-Lago Affidavit, But It’s A Safe Bet The FBI Followed Its Depraved FISA Court M.O.
    Given the similarities between the Russia hoax and this get-Trump hoax, let’s assume the affidavit has the same issues as the Carter Page FISA applications.

https://thefederalist.com/2022/08/18/judge-wont-unseal-the-mar-a-lago-affidavit-but-its-a-safe-bet-the-fbi-followed-its-depraved-fisa-court-m-o/

excerpt:

Ordering the unsealing of the Mar-a-Lago search warrant affidavit would be wrong as a matter of law. But as a matter of lessons learned, Americans can infer that the unprecedented search of former President Donald Trump’s home rested on circular reporting, material omissions, misleading assertions, informants of unproven reliability, and an investigation undertaken by partisan agents.
    more at the link

ROXRAN and blue_eyed_devil like this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'll read it later on, but hard to take their analysis seriously with that sub-headline.

Nook, JeeberD, REEKO_HTOWN and 6 others like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

not sure the assumption she makes should be taken seriously, but the political fact that many people will in all likelihood similarly draw this conclusion is politically important.

Nook and rimbaud like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yo lol. I can't believe I missed this. If you only stuck to the realm of criticizing Islamic theology you think we would have so many beefs in the past?

Stop lying dude. 80% of your rhetoric involved Muslims and immigration and a large segment of that was discussing how European Muslims are mostly rapists some you assume are good people.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I always laugh when they lean back again and again on the virtuous Carter Page being "spied on" as the ultimate example of FISA abuse. The guy has LITERALLY admitted to being a Russian informant and sort of openly carries that card. Yes he also spied on behalf of the US too. Either way... It's Carter freaking Page.

I mean imagine if I used Anthony Weiner as an example of law enforcement overreach in sexual misconduct cases. If anyone deserved to be spied on, its Carter Page.

#2216 dobro1229, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Well a good portion of the country thinks that Trump won the 2020 election and that he is the target of unwarranted investigation. We shouldn’t base legitimate criminal investigations on whether an obviously deluded portion of the country thinks they are valid and what the political implications of that might be.

Reeko, Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Trump’s camp singing like birds

u already know that if any of them are in serious trouble, for a Big Mac and reduced or no jail time, they’ll be in the interrogation room singing like Mariah Carey

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Totally made up.