1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am not sure if Martin's role really overlap with Tate's, especially on defense and toughness. Martin will never really be the hard nosed blue collar defender that Tate is. It's too bad that Tate is taking away KJ's minutes, but I'm not sure if it's choosing one person over the other.

KJ right now doesn't really have a true consistent role on this team, whether or not Tate is here. Our coaching staff hasn't really found a way to consistently use him.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I also think/hope that Eason will be the replacing both KJ and Tate in the future. He has the tools to be the best of both worlds.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

The questions to ask are:

1. What skill does KJ bring at a high level?
    My Answer - Athleticism

2. Which players possess skills head and shoulders above KJ at F in each category below?

Competition: Jabari, Tari, Jae'Sean, Garrison

Options include:
    A. Shooting
    B. Slashing
    C. Defense
    D. Length
    E. Ball-Handling
    F. Passing
    G. BB IQ
    H. Hustle

#484 Rokman, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yall got to stop with this. This **** doesnt exist anymore. Every kid grew up wanting to be a useless chucker like steph curry. Even the good ones like ja, trae, garland, lamelo are score first players and the number 1 options on their team. Go ahead and try and name some young "traditional" pgs

Dankstronaut and topfive like this.
  6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Well, let KJ prove that in camp this year and win his minutes. Nobody is holding him back from doing that but himself.

KJ does have more potential than Tate, but Tate was impacting games a lot more than KJ last year (and its not just about who was scoring the most). I like them both for us so I want to see them compete for minutes and earn it. They both are role players.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They both impacted games, KJ Martin in a positive way, Tate in a negative way.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think he is the best slasher among the bunch. And that's it. He got a ton of easy dunks from Sengun's passes because he seems to have the knack for knowing when to cut. Other than that, I don't think he is clearly good at any of those things. But he's also not the worst at many of them. So he is kind of okay at different things but doesn't stand out at any skill.

I think Eason is going to take both Tate and Martin's minutes. Since management has decided to stick with Tate, Martin's days as a Rocket are numbered.

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i was dissapointed in his defense last year tbh. after a great showing year 1 where he was blocking people left and right, he kind of mailed it in last year and routinely got roasted 1v1.

he is a nice help defender but at 6'4 he isn't much of a threat when faced against in isolation.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Tate can be dealt for a 1st at any time (I assume). I think a contender would pay that w/o issue.

I have 0 issue with KMJ starting at SF. I just don't think we will do that.

Sengun
    Smith
    KMJ
    Green
    KPJ

To me, Is a lineup with a lot of balance.

11. hakeemthagreat

Revisionist smh

The team needed shooting BADLY and Matthews gave us spacing. Plus Tate is better than KJ. Silas did the right thing

Corrosion likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Since we've still got Matt Maloney on the payroll...

kjayp likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

1) yes athleticism

2)
    a) right now no one proven . Jabari and garrison look to be better tho .
    b) I think Tate and Tari will be better . I don’t think KJ is as good of a slasher as his athleticism says he could be
    C) Tate is head and shoulders above . Hopefully Jabari too
    D) bari and tari
    E) Tate . Maybe tari .
    F) Tate and hopefully Jabari and tari . Kmj isn’t a bad passer , but he’s almost always in finishing spots
    G) tough to tell . Tate shows it on D . What will bari show ?
    H) prolly all those guys . Kmj coulda been sacrificing his body in a meaningless season like Tate and matthews ... but he didn’t. .

he’s a thinker and not a reactor .

his handle is weak

his shooting is just ok

I think rightfully he’s fighting for minutes in camp .

im super fan of Tate . And if tari and bari are better (along with sengun or garuba ) he just has a lot of guys in front .

Corrosion and Rokman like this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I completely agree with your assessment. I like KJ but he doesn't do anything remarkably well except jump. That's exciting but it doesn't equal wins.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am going to track who gets the assists on these dunks for giggles.

Christopher - 4
    Schroeder - 3
    Rebound/Steal - 3
    KPJ - 2
    Wood - 2
    Nix - 2
    Green - 1
    Ego - 1

DD

#495 DaDakota, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate does not complement Sengun at all.

Sengun plays much better with KJ spacing floor, not demanding touches and constantly cutting/screening.

Tate tries too hard to be secondary playmaker which is essentially Sengun's best role.

Tate is not starter on winning team imo. But KJ not even starter on losing team.

#496 D-rock, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    apollo33 likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need quality rather than quantity.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was staying in the hotel the Rox were staying in for SL, and had a few run-ins with our players.

Everyone was really cool, but 100% KJM was on another planet. There was just something odd about his demeanor with his teammates, and when I said "KJ stay in Houston my man," when I walked past him, I got a reluctant, pained smile that couldn't have been any plainer. He is out of here.

I believe the major dealbreaker is the fact that they brought in Garrison Matthews and immediately gave him more minutes than KJM. Those SF minutes should have been KJ's last year. You are playing off the streets Garry 28 minutes a game, and you are playing KJM 20 minutes a game while you are tanking. It is frankly absurd, and I can't even be mad at KJ.

KJ Martin was literally a better three-point shooter than Garrison last year, btw.

Little Bit and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How is this literally possible when KJ shot a worse percentage on literally below half volume

D-rock and Easy like this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

So he showed up to a non-mandatory team activity just to be distant? To his teammates, who aren’t the one at fault, for his situation.

RudyTBag likes this.