1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I hear you. Made me think. What numbers can he realistically put up this yr? With his numbers as a starter and the boosted 30 mpg, realistically, I could see that projection.

So many factors go into the projection. Improvement in the off season. The system that's run. Is he involved more in the plan? Will everyone buy into that system? How will the rookies produce? Etc....

I think the 13/8/4 is a given at 30 mpg. Maybe more depending on those factors.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun is not going to be a volume scorer for us, at least not until he develops a reliable 3pt or midrange shot. He is not very efficient outside of 10 ft. He should be a facilitator, drawing the defense in the paint and hitting open shooters. We have some very good scorers (Green, Porter, Smith) to develop their skills.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sengun MUST come back with a better outside shot to reach true stardom. He will always be a high IQ + skill guy, but if defenses dont have to play honest they will sag into the passing lanes. Still a phenomenal talent to build on.

aaquaa, Scarface, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

But that's not way he is used currently. Looks like coaching staff want him to play outside more and to develop his 3pt. Earlier in the season Sengun's assist numbers were higher because he was getting the ball more in the post, taking less threes. At the end of the season, it was quite the opposite. I think they are overdoing this, and a more balanced approach would benefit everyone. Sengun can score in the paint, has gravity and can pass the ball very well. It is a mistake to underuse this. He is 20 and has time to develop his 3pt shot. His post up game and foot work is very good, especially for his age, but there is still room for growth there too.

hakeem94, D-rock and Easy like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

My expectation is 13/8/4 given that he plays around 30 min. the 4 assists could easily go up or down, depending on how he is used. Earlier last season he was about 5 assists per 30 minutes, and at the end of the season he was about 3 assists per 30.

AroundTheWorld and harold bingo like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

One thing to consider though is chefs in the kitchen. We already have Green and KPJ. We are also adding Smith as well. All three are prolific scorers and Tari will be looking to get his as well. How many scoring opportunities will realistically be left over for Al P?

Easy likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping that Sengun gets more scoring opportunities than everyone, but Green.

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. TheBeastSystem

alperen is our best player.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

As long as he touches the ball, I am okay even if he doesn't get scoring opportunities. His scoring might go down, but then his assists will go up, or he will be the wheel that makes the offense run smoothly.

That is not a Sengun thing. One big question for the Rockets is whether they will be able to take a step towards being a team both in offense and defense. T

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually think AP's touches will go way up. You got to take into account the amount of touches Wood had last year which will be distributed evenly. Smith looked really uncomfortable creating his own shot, and he will be doing mostly spot ups this season and rare drives. Tari is also more of clean up player.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not interested in his scoring as much as I want to see more of him initiating the offense out of the post. I think that was one of our most efficient half court sets last year, and ideally we'd see improvement as he takes on a bigger role and has more experience in the league. Running the offense through a passing big man in the post is something we don't see a lot of in today's NBA and I hope Silas incorporates it heavily into the offense this year, especially now that Wood is gone. Theoretically we should have good shooters around him - KPJ is one of the best catch and shoot guys in the league, Jalen is good, and Jabari is supposed to excel at that despite what we saw in summer league. I'm excited to watch this year and see how it plays out.

12. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

The kid clearly has 'it.'

Is 'it' enough along with his physical capability. He's demonstrated ability on a losing team in the NBA to shoot the three, dunk off the dribble, emulate Nowitzki fadeaways, play defense and block shots. I'm impressed.

Hopefully, we go with the fail fast strategy here and give him PT. Main concern to me is that he plays the same position as Jabari Smith. We'll see.

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah a complete misuse of a player...i get it, they perhaps trying to develop his 3 pt shot early and that might end well in the end... but my approach would be to play player to his strengths more to develop/preserve confidence establish himself, only then i would focus on adding the 3 pointer or any new thing...because 3 pt shot is pure confidence thing anyway....who knows coaches may be right...but it looks more like negligence or going with what is fashionable and not really caring...

it could of been a huge boost to alpi and the rockets if alpi were to win ROY from 16 position if they just gave him enough PT i dont even talk about the proper role here LOL

however it could also have backfired and exposed ignorance of some experts and messed with the teams pecking order...i guess some important people ego or even career was on the line if alpi was gonna win ROY and not jalen green

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i beg to disagree if they sag off hes at the rim in 2 dribbles and he is very skilled at that... the only problem is coaches who insist on black and white vision of 3 point fashion...

yanis won the ring not shooting the 3 pointers but attacking the rim...and they cant sag off of him a lot because hes fast to get to the rim if they do...

the same goes for alpi just the way and means he uses to get to the rim is different than yanis..its skill and craftiness and for yanis its length quickness and force...

in the view of 3 point worshippers yanis shouldn't be an all star because he cant shoot...let alone MVP

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont view Senguns dribble package as one that is going to capitalize on two dribbles to the hoop on a drop back defense just on premise, but especially if he isnt to be respected as an outside shooter. He is amazing at seeing the lanes among the chaos and delivering the ball ahead of time as a passer. Excellent post player. Explosive if catching the ball within 8-10 feet on a pound dribble and pump fake and creates the gravity for others with his skill while creating easy baskets for himself at the same time. Still I dont see the player that is going to keep a defense honest with a drive to the basket game. It would be AWESOME if thats what he develops into no doubt.

If the thought is that Alperen Sengun is close to Giannis then we're really too far apart to make a sensible discussion. Giannis gets to the rim with one long stride oftentimes and is in another stratosphere athletically. Far and away a better defender in space -- but I dont think Sengun is a bad defender at all. Im all for undying support and all that, but it has to come at a semblance of reality. I do like your passion and hope that Sengun can follow a similar career arc to Giannis he's still so young. Starts this year no more excuses about playing time or Silas. He should be able to distinguish himself on the court just by his presence so Im looking forward to an excellent campaign from him.

maj21 and AlperenSengun like this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

Alperen is still the best and it's still not close.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Green had lower touches than Mobley last season, so the lions share of those are going to go to him. KPJ will also be looking to be more aggressive as part of his combo guard role. We will see though. I personally think we should have more touches allotted to him.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sengun and Jalen offer so much in terms of gravity. Its truly a treat to see them impact games this way at such an early age. Knowing mismatches and attacking for foul shots is usually a veteran trait.

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I view him as Luis SCOLA level a STAR player in Europe a starter at the NBA level but not a star.

DD

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member