1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas coaching style is to develop the youth while also tanking… multiple players and he said in multiple interviews they work on 1 skill and once they player reaches the set goals..they go to next skill

it’s why they started season with Jalen off the ball alot because they wanted him to get used to that and work on his catch and shoot 3s

by end of season you seen everything come together

txppratt likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The pit bull Chihuahua never won a championship either....just like Silas

Nobody is afraid of this little man. His offense consisted of give the ball to Ewing
    in the post followed by nothing.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I can’t figure Silas out either. He says the right things, but they rarely seem to materialize on the court.

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  4. a time to chill

Stone would be crazy to give up on KJ Martin right now.

jakedasnake likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure he'll have much of a choice. Silas is too dumb to play KJ Martin instead of Tate and Stone was dumb enough to give Tate another contract.

That pretty much spells the end for KJ.

AXG and BigShasta like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

unfortunately with Eason in the mix I don't see KJ getting as much burn this year.

he will be a nice player in the league but I won't kept up at night if we can get a nice backup 5 for him

D-rock, apollo33, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would agree, but we already have like 5 backup 5s right now :D.

Ankara1923 and napalm06 like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

Maybe he can help a contender because his contract is cheap and still has some life to it, too. We may need to pair him with someone from the Dallas trade to get the money to match because his contract is so minimal. That would clear a roster spot for us as well. The other team could then let drop the former Dallas player to save some cap space, too.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I don't see the need to trade KJ yet unless they just want to be the franchise that bends over and takes it everytime someone gets disgruntled. They gotta get a future late first or a rotation player but the rotation is pretty much locked. Not sure who we would want to see ahead of Eason at the 3 right now. Jalen is a lock at the 2. Jabari a lock at the 4 and Sengun a lock at the 5. The only spot I see that could open would be at the 1 since Porter is not best fit at the 2. I know, I know, positionless basketball. Whatever.

Ankara1923 and verysimplejason like this.
  10. verysimplejason

A traditional PG would be nice.

Bo6, AXG, King1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yep, until they get one this team is going to suffer. It's like a boat with no rutter.

verysimplejason, Ankara1923 and eman like this.
  12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Sorry, but KJ is not that good of a player to be demanding a trade at this point. He needs to come in and earn his minutes and show he has improved on some things from last year. He has potential with his athletic ability, but he does not have a well rounded, I should be a starter in the league, type game. His ceiling, IMO, is a good role player. We need good role players off our bench so he fits that role.

Competition amongst all these young guys will be a good thing. Come in and win it every week at practice, it will make then better players.

Bo6, Shark44, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Williamson likes this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I guess this leads to the question, who's better Martin or Tate? To me both are twinners but Tate has the better ball skills. However, Martin has more upside. He just needs to work on his ball skills.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think they both bring something different. Tate is that hustle and make smart plays (drawing a charge) on defense type guy. KJ is a explosive athlete that can finish on breaks and make the occasional big block. I think they both can have a role. Neither of them command the ball or have to have plays called for them and they seem like team guys (K Sr could be in KJs ear about going elsewhere). I guess if they dont move him before camp, we will see how it all shakes out. The good thing is both of them are under contract and we control it.

D-rock, Bo6, apollo33 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KJ Martin has given up on the Rockets - he doesn't want to be here.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Martin is a better spot up shooter and thus fit, and no slouch defensively - but more importantly 7 years younger than Tate. Tate does try to randomly take the ball and drive into traffic at times too which is... Nah.

I think the Rockets made a mistake in picking Tate "value deal" over KMJ but time will tell i guess

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think most would agree that KJ is better. Tate is a guy that really doesn't have a position. He's a 6'4 forward that can't shoot, can't play above the rim, and isn't a playmaker. He lacks the skill and quickness to be a guard, he lacks the size to be a big, he lacks the shooting, playmaking, and athleticism to be a wing.

He's basically just an undersized hustle player.

KJ Martin is a better shooter and he's got athleticism for days. He should be the guy starting at the 3 battling it out with Eason, but Silas is an idiot.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with this 100%.

DD