1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just to keep speculation about these out of other threads (mostly by me). There are some significant changes to the rosters which will have to be made over the next 6-7 months.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think the playoff roster is pretty much set except for the bullpen. How Dusty sets the lineup is the real issue and since that has been discussed ad nauseum in the Garm, I will forego that part until closer to the playoffs. Next year is really going to be interesting. To start Yuli and Brantley should be gone. We should try to re-sign Mancini the question is will he? Let’s assume yes. This leaves us with these sure things:

Altuve 2b
    Pena SS
    Alvarez Lf/dh
    Bregman 3b
    Tucker rf
    Maldi c
    Mancini 1b/lf

We will have 2 holes in our everyday lineup to fill. By far the most crucial is center field. There are really no credible FA center fielders in 2023 so we will either have to fill it internally or trade. Internally it looks like Myers or Leon both of which are super big ifs for me. It looks like to me that Leon is at least another half season away. Myers is a huge concern to me. We know they both can do the job defensively, but we may find ourselves with a pretty big hole offensively. McCormick is another possibility although just a decent CF, he still has upside as a hitter.

My preference would be to try and find a cf via trade and do it in the off-season not wait until the deadline where the pickings will be super thin again. Let McCormick/Myers/Leon battle it out for the third Of spot, if that doesn’t look good Mancini/Alvarez can man it and find a FA or trade for a 1b. Maybe Josh Bell could be had or maybe Diaz is ready (doubt it).

I guess Lee will be ordained backup catcher next year. Hopefully we can re-sign aledmys for a utility role.

I think we will re-sign Verlander. Our rotation is again super solid for next year.

Verlander
    McCullers
    Valdez
    Garcia
    Javier
    Urquidy
    Brown

Relievers are always a work in progress, but we have a really good start with:

Presley
    Abreu
    Stanek
    Neris

Would love to re-sign Montero.

We are easily poised for another WS run next year. If we can add a really good CF or someone internally steps up we should be the favorite.

joshuaao, DreamR and Marshall Bryant like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The offseason is going to be very interesting to me, especially position players.

13 spots.

Maldy, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Tucker, and Alvarez are the only locks.

McCormick, Meyers, and Dubon return but may be replaced/upgraded.

Manager is also a potential hole.

That leaves at least 4 holes and contending teams rarely have that many rookies/unproven players on a roster at the same time. The Astros have been great about bringing 1 or 2 young players at a time into the veteran culture so this has not happened during " the window" before.

Back up / platoon catcher
    First base
    Left field
    Center field
    Bench.

I think I will do a post for each so this doesn't get too long.

Cheers.

vince and Marshall Bryant like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would love to see them keep Montero but I think with his year, he has priced himself out of the Astros budget.

I bet he gets a 3yr/2+opt. Deal to compete for a closer role.

With the plethora of arms on this team, Pressly and Neris making good money, and arb, raises I just don't feel they will go that route.

But Abreu has taken a big step forward this year.

Pressly, Neris, Stanek, and Abreu are much deeper and more solid than many bullpens this team has had in the recent past.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Still want to see Hunter Brown get an opportunity this year to make the playoff roster. It's about taking the best possible 26 players into the postseason. In the playoffs managers will pull a starter a lot sooner so having a pitcher that can give you good long relief is valuable and Brown might be that guy.

everyday eddie and panamamyers like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I, too, would like to give Brown a shot, but doubt he gets it. To have a prominent role in the bullpen you can’t walk a bunch of batters. As good as he has been as a starter, even with the walks, that won’t fly in the bullpen in the playoffs. Bring him up and see if he can solve it over the next month and a half.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

13 position players for 2022 playoffs:

Starters:

C: Maldy 75%, Vazquez 25%
    1B: Yuli 67%, Mancini 33%
    2B: Altuve
    3B: Bregman
    SS: Pena
    LF: Yordan 67%, Diaz 33%
    CF: McCormick
    RF: Tucker
    DH: Mancini 67%, Yordan 33%

Leaves 2 bench spots.

I would lean toward Dubon having 1 just because of his versatility and contact ability.

Last spot is between: a speed OF defense guy, LF bench bat, and/or 3rd catcher.

With the 2 catchers they have, the 3rd catcher is not needed.

There really is not a LH bat that would be an improvement. Matijevic is not ready for prime time IMO. I would rather have Diaz or Yuli hit even against a RHP in a big playoff spot.

That leaves a speed/OF defense guy.

Meyers is the obvious choice, but with his K and throwing issues, I think I would like to see Pedro Leon.

Tale of the tape:

Speed: not sure but likely Leon, especially if a stolen base is needed.

Glove: Meyers is great but by all accounts Leon is too.

Arm: no contest Leon may have the best OF this system has seen in quite some time if ever. Meters ( at least 2022 Meyers) is a liability.

So I would go with Leon. Especially since the primary need that position would be for is baserunning and defense ( specifically keeping runners out of scoring position with a lead late). I can't over state the importance of throwing in that position.

It would require he gets added to the 40 man before Sept. 1st, but I think Goodrum could be dropped to make room.

#7 IdStrosfan, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2023 catcher.

Situation: Maldy signed -2023 will likely be at least part time starter. Vazquez and Castro FA. K.Lee got a mid season trial and did not impress.

Internal options: Lee has been dubbed the catcher of the future and while 2022 was not as goodcas hoped, he still has that opportunity. Other guys like Yanier Diaz or Luke Berryhill may have MLB bats but for one reason or another don't look to be options at that position. At least not primarily at that position.

Outside options: Not very attractive. There are a couple dozen various 30 something catchers out there. Most are either very lopsided glove only or bat heavy.

Based on the options, I would like to see them bite the bullet and just let Korey Lee have the spot and work with Maldy and the MLB staff all season. At least he would get the best opportunity and the team will likely know if he can be a regular.

The exception could be resigning Christian Vazquez or maybe Omar Narvaez who looks to be passable for a 1 to 2 year bridge without killing either defense or offense and shouldn't break the bank.

Prediction: Click signs some veteran I didn't even think of to compete with Lee and either beats him out or is stashed at AAA as insurance.

9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

22-23 off season activities

Manager

Dusty Retires
    Hire a manager early enough to allow him to situate a staff.

Options
    Verlander Player option. Re-negotiated offer for multiple years and alotta dollars. Outcome unknown.
    Mancini Mutual option. Every day first base/DH offered and accepted.
    Smith Team option. Option taken.

Free Agents
    Vasquez Offer to split starter innings with Maldy 3 and 3. Outcome unknown.
    Brantley Chooses free agency to seek a starting position.
    A Diaz Chooses free agency to seek a starting position.

Contract Tendered in Arbitration
    F Valdez Tendered with offer to extend.
    R Stanek Tendered
    R Mantero Tendered

Non Tendered in Arbitration
    P Maton Non tendered
    N Goodrum Non tendered
    J James Non tendered

Retired
    Y Gurriel Retired
    J Castro Retired

Traded or DFA
    T Jones

#9 BlindHog, Aug 14, 2022
    Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

duplicate post, sorry.

#10 BlindHog, Aug 14, 2022
  11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

[QUOTE="Hemingway, post: 14213867, member: 61420"
    We will have 2 holes in our everyday lineup to fill. By far the most crucial is center field. [/QUOTE]

I believe the most crucial hole is at manager. Dusty will probably retire or be non tendered. The time to start choosing his successor is now.
    I expect the new manager to move Tucker to CF to begin Spring Training and never look back. Tucker is the best outfield defender in the AL.
    Dirden, Leon, Meyers, & McOrmick can compete for the corner outfield spots and the bench OF position with Alvarez and Dubon picking up spot starts in left field.
    Not sure where the other hole you are concerned with is I hope to see Mancini playing every day at 1st base/DH and to see Vasquez splitting the starting catcher duties with Maldy to start the season with an opportunity to take over the starting role gradually during the season.

12. Buck Turgidson

Not bad, though:

There's zero chance they let Maton walk while he still has an option year left.

There's zero chance Mancini exercises his contract option.

I'd bring Diaz back, given the financials make sense.

You forgot to say: "Win WS, Dusty Retires"

STR8Thugg likes this.
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

You are probably right about Mancini. How about this?
    Mancini Mutual option. Every day first base/DH offered and re-negotiated as needed to hold on to him.

14. Buck Turgidson

They'll need to sign someone to fill the Brantley hole, whether it's Mancini or not I have no idea.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Boy I’d think about not signing anyone there. Money will be very tight and I’d like to see them give internal options the chance to fill it. If that doesn’t work you can get another Mancini type at the deadline without paying a huge cost. Jmo but with Yordan able to play credible LF, Chas being a lefty killer and JJ and Meyers having some upside I’d try to piece it together so you can give JV whatever you need to. If JV comes back I use Garcia to go get a corner OF or 1B as needed.

16. Qan

Qan Member

They'll need to fill their 1B first before looking for a Brantley replacement next year. Any names as free agent next season at 1B?

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Bell, Abreu, Mancini,Rizzo(has a player option), Aguilar, Belt, Vogelbach, Flores (looks like he's a utility man, no idea how much 1b he plays)

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  18. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Depending on who exercises their options, you could have the likes of Jose Abreu, Josh Bell, Trey Mancini and Anthony Rizzo, to name a few.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/2022-23-mlb-free-agents.html

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

All 4 of those guys would be great if you could get them for 12-20 a year.
    If that happens you have to fill Lf/CF internally if you want to sign JV.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'll break it down to Under Contract, Gone, but want back, Free Agents and prospects.

26 man Active Roster 2023

Position

DH/LF Alvarez 26 Signed through 2028.
    OF McCormick 28 CC through 2027
    OF Meyers 26 CC through 2027
    SS Pena
    I believe the most crucial hole is at manager. Dusty will probably retire or be non tendered. The time to start choosing his successor is now.
    I expect the new manager to move Tucker to CF to begin Spring Training and never look back. Tucker is the best outfield defender in the AL.
    Dirden, Leon, Meyers, & McOrmick can compete for the corner outfield spots and the bench OF position with Alvarez and Dubon picking up spot starts in left field.
    Not sure where the other hole you are concerned with is I hope to see Mancini playing every day at 1st base/DH and to see Vasquez splitting the starting catcher duties with Maldy to start the season with an opportunity to take over the starting role gradually during the season.[/QUOTE]

Just random INSANITY.

If Tucker moves to CF, would we want Judge in RF for say 6 years at $210M? ($35M AAV) age 31-37?

This assumes JV walks and there is at least some truth Crane was willing to go 6-$180M for Correa.

#20 Marshall Bryant, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022