1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. a time to chill

Why hasn't Easterby been fired yet?

mario_v and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Easterby is the reason why I haven't follow the Texans the past few years, and why I won't keep watching them. Once he leaves i'll be back on the Texans bandwagon.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I feel exactly this way. The Texans as a team haven't accomplished anything of note in 20 years - they have zero goodwill. When on top of that you add this completely unqualified clown into the leadership structure and he's in the room for debacle after debacle yet still remains untouchable, you realize that winning isn't the priority and it's easy to let go.

For me to reinvest, they'd have to let go both Easterby and Caserio. Nick is Jack's guy and just another stooge who looked good under Belichick's wing. The first time they went after Caserio they violated league rules and the second time they tossed out the entire Korn Ferry slate of candidates to pick Nick out of the blue - that's Jack at work.

And what does Caserio do? Hires a completely unqualified David Culley and then tries to pivot to a completely unqualified Josh McCown before being preempted by the Flores lawsuit. I just don't see Caserio as any kind of light at the end of the tunnel - just more of the same.

I don't care if they keep Jack up in the attic - Nick is still the GM and he's only there because of Jack.

verse, Kim, Spacemoth and 4 others like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

'Bout damn time.

He had exactly less than no business being on the sidelines and being mic'd into in-game decisions.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That’s pretty weird.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nice to see Nick set some ground rules. Let Easterby pray and clap - the only things he's qualified to do.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Easterby retweeted this a few days ago. Y'all really think he was just going to fade away? The Burkhead playing time reeks of Jack!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Disrespectful m***!! How dare he??!!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This walking motivational poster collection just tells us the real problem with the Texans--having a developmentally delayed owner who's never had to make a single decision of consequence in his entire life. Easterby is making, what, $500,000/yr? And it's just not enough. A fool and his money are soon parted, and for Cal McNair it's just not soon enough. Gotta let the Wormtongue bleed the oaf dry until he doesn't have enough money for year to year operational expenses of the team and is forced to sell. Until then, you'll see the football team as the only franchise in town trying to win with Good Ol' Boy tactics, with flagrant nepotism and city-upon-a-hill faux Christian underpinnings in the fashion only a "Dallas South" franchise could embrace. This isn't 1980 anymore; Gilly's is dead, and if you actually want a football team to win you have to actually make hires based on qualifications and not just because you like a guy so much you want to see him succeed.

Nook, Kim and leroy like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly why I'm out until the McNair's have sold. I'll follow football from a strictly fantasy perspective. I couldn't care less what the Texans do any more. 20+ years of mediocrity and no sign or hope of ever getting out of it. I'm not going to tell people to stop going to games and being fans. That's entirely up to the individual. But stop wondering why they are such a terrible franchise while you're renewing your season tickets and paying $18 for a beer at the game.

SWTsig, Kim, TheRealist137 and 3 others like this.
  12. raining threes

Good thing he hired Caserio.

I agree about much of what you said about Cal.

BTW, Many Christians run very successful businesses.

Slyonebluejay and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

$500,000? Try $3,000,000! Yeah let that stew a bit.

Kim likes this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

That’s so impossible to believe I had to look it up. And, yep, that’s what they say! Amazing. If that’s accurate, they’re paying him about double what our starting QB makes. Let THAT sink in...

Slyonebluejay and charlieaustin like this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Caserio has done nothing special. Yet he probably has the most job security in the league due to the circumstances he was hired and the fact that Jack Easterby is here. Caserio is cashing those checks in while not being under a ton of pressure, this is a cushy gig for him.

16. Buck Turgidson

The dichotomy between his draft(s) and his coaching hires is something I can't quite wrap my head around. And how much of the coaching hires were really up to Caserio? Beats the hell out of me.

This offseason is HUGE as far as the FA market and draft go. I'm reserving judgement.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I have nothing against Christianity, just this moral grandstanding that the owner and his dad demonstrated, where religion was brandished about as almost a justification for why they would win. We had another owner in Drayton Mclane who did the exact same thing, to the point where he had an incarnation of the Astros where AAAA types like Luke Scott were leading prayer circles before games, while the team product on the field became downright unwatchable. Things like that happen when you try to win with the right guys on your team, rather than simply win. Bob McNair did the same thing, and the Texans gained a reputation for only signing boy scouts. Cal McNair and Easterby tried to do it with Josh McCown, who I'm sure is their spitting image of the kind of coach they'd love to win a Super Bowl (for the greater glory et al...). It's all so off-putting at this point.

charlieaustin, raining threes and Kim like this.
  18. raining threes

Culley and Lovie weren't Caserio hires.

primtim24 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If the Texans want a morally good team then they would have more success hiring Bernie Sanders as their moral coach than your modern American Chrsirian preacher.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member