1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stop this woke nonsense please. This is the GARM.

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and Ankara1923 like this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

Alperen is the best and its not close.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I’m here to say..

I’m the best..

Who want these hands

Drift Monkey and Ankara1923 like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You have legit mental issues or just playing a persona, either way it's tiring

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t know if he’ll be our best player but I estimate that he’s going to be worth at least $18m per season by the end of this season which is great for the end of year 2.

He might even fetch close to $60m/4yrs on the market right now if he were an FA. I bet Pop would sign him in a heartbeat.

I really hope that he’s at the end of a bulking cycle and entering a cutting cycle before training camp because he does look bigger. The timing would make sense and training with the national team would help him shed some of that fat.

I hope his excuse is that he was just lifting and practicing 3pters all summer.

Drift Monkey and Ankara1923 like this.
  7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

He will have a very busy 30-35 days (depends on how far Turkey will go in Euro22) and has no chance not to get slimmer.

Although I agree what you wrote generally, I don't agree Pop part. Alpi was invited to Spurs camp last year, attended but Spurs drafted Joshua Primo at 12,not Alpi. I am sure there was a chemistry problem within. It is well known that Alpi was very disappointed not to be picked up at 12 or before and suggested companion to leave the area. Fortunately Rockets drafted him via OKC (good for Rockets supporter like me).

Pop used to work in Incirlik Base in Turkey as air-force worker (likely intelligent officer) and expressed his special bond to Turkey. During Parker era he wanted to employ Turkish International Kerem Gonlum (6"10, small forward) but starting salary for a Euro Pro was very low and it did not happen.

The first American baby was born in Incirlik became a professional basketball player (James Gist, Un. Of Maryland, 6'9") and Spurs/Pop drafted him as late second in 2008. I don't think he ever played in NBA. So Pop/Turkey relations/attempts were never fruitful.

I don't imagine Alpi would like to play for Pop anymore, it is done. Also Houston is a future champions, who wants to go to Spurs, a directionless franchise.

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

This is not a Turkish song. It's Ottoman. Totally belongs in a different era.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  9. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Sengun's fat...
    And I remember all the people here drooling at the possibility to trade for Zion. :D

10. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

... and Tate??
    Wait, here's some toilet paper for your eyes...

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and Ankara1923 like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am a huge Sengun fan. I chose him in the "most excited" thread.

But stop this madness. He is not our best player. (Some people even say he the best "by a mile." LOL)

Even if you use the per 36 min stats (which sometimes are quite dubious), he is not our best scorer. He is not our best shooter. He is not our best rebounder. He is not our best assist producer. He is not the most efficient. And he is not our best defender. He does not the best in WS or BMP.

The only thing he is clearly the best is dishing out no-look passes. You may even say that he is the best in low post scoring. He maybe our best shot blocker (which doesn't say very much) That's it. How is he our "best" player?

The most you can say is that he has the POTENTIAL to BECOME our best player. Some of you can't distinguish between potential and reality. Or maybe they don't understand the difference between the English words "is" "may" "might" and "can."

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Joel embiied averaged 0 points his first 2 years
    TAKE THAT FOR DATA

Drift Monkey and aaquaa like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thats why you dont use it...one of the reasons per 36 cant be used(in isolation) because all minutes arent created equal...

30 minutes played in one piece or in one game(eg jalen green) is not the same opportunity for scoring like playing 5 x 6 minutes in 5 different games ie like alperen sengun...

because its hard to get into rhythm thats why the stats alone are deceiving and you gotta go with the eye test the most...
    CONTEXT

@Easy i am your huge fan but you lack the true appreciation on this subject...

However I liked your way of thinking when you said:

"Or maybe they don't understand the difference between the English words "is" "may" "might" and "can."

well you aint sticking to that maxim yourself in the first place

i am talking about the now and you are talking about the past,
    perhaps you need to learn about the verb "was"?
    how convenient of yourself to let that one slip....

btw if vogel didnt play lebron last year enough minutes to score enough points and get into rhtyhm lebron would still be their best player

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 best in FTr(do you even know what it is and how important indicator of a players quality it is?
    2 best in attacking the rim
    3 best in not beating around the bush and not hogging the ball
    4 best in immediately knowing what to do and making the QUICK AND THE RIGHT MOVE the very moment he gets the ball
    5 best in getting from the perimeter to the rim
    6 best in passing the ball
    7 best in court vision
    8 BEST IN SETTING THE SCREENS
    9 BEST IN BEING WILLING TO SET THE SCREENS
    10 best in being willing to pass the ball
    11 best in shot selection

TAKE THAT FOR DATA

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The season has not started. How can you talk about the now? How do you know Sengun IS NOW better than every other player on the team? We can only talk about NOW SO FAR, which we only have evidence from the past.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that he is best in #1, 6, 7 (although #6 and #7 are subjective.)

#2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11 are not factual, only your subjective opinion. (If he is best in shot selection, how come he is so low in efficiency?)
    #8, 9 have something to do with his center position. Yes, he is better than Christian Wood. LOL.

Basically, he is the best mostly in your mind.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is our best player.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

Seriously lol. Love Sengun, but he’s like our 4th or 5th best player

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green, Sengun and KPJ are all capable of becoming All Stars in the near future so it's no surprise there's a wide variety of opinions about who our best player is.

Sengun instinctively understands good basketball plays better than the other two and that's extremely valuable. If you want to win now, I can see an argument for Sengun being a better player for your team although Green and KPJ have shown themselves to be more talented. I wouldn't totally count Sengun out in the long run, he shows some special characteristics.

Drift Monkey, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does he need to be the best at any of those things to be the best player. If his all around game makes him the best. I haven't looked this up but let's say his per 36 puts him top 3 or 4 in every one of those categories can't he still be the best? No one said he was the best scorer or best rebounder or best defender.

I personally think he could be our best player. But it's a good problem to have with him and Jalen. Future is bright. I really hope his usage goes up a lot this year. And we will see how it translates. Can he keep up the same production with more minutes? If so, I like his chances.