1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brantley out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SWTsig, Aug 12, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same day he was “seeking a second opinion”

“After consultation with our trainers and doctors, came to the conclusion this was the right path for him long term for his health. A lot of options explored but this is the one we ended up with.”

LF - time share or rather one person take it and run with it?

“One thing we prioritized at the deadline was adding depth pieces to give us different options based on who’s pitching for us, who’s pitching for the other team. I would imagine for the time being we’ll explore all the options on the roster but in my experience, someone separates themselves.”

(Mancini LF) “Gary Pettis has been working with him out there. Impressed with his work out there. … Optimistic that’s something we’ll be able to see over the next couple months.”

“One of the challenges of the deadline was how do we fix what isn’t broken? We have the best record in the AL so we don’t want to make massive changes to the team. We wanted to add pieces to help in August/September in case of injures. We trust Dusty to put the best lineups out there every day over the long haul to make sure we’re in position to win the World Series.”

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Hopefully the team can go out and win him a World Series ring. Yeah it's not the same because I'm sure he would rather be playing and winning it but better than nothing. Hopefully it's not a career ending injury and his career continues.

3. RussE

RussE Member

And now he’s a FA.

4. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Trusting Dusty to put the best lineups out there every day..... seems like an oxymoron

5. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

If you ignore his first two months when he was doing horrible, Yuli has a batting average of .257. He's hitting .268 since July 1. Not too concerned about him holding back the Astros.

Maldy is hitting .276 since July 1. Even McCormick is hitting .261 since July 1.

Meyers and Pena are really the only guys that are really struggling at the plate right now. Of course, Jake's only been back playing for six weeks. But he's the only one, IMO, that should be getting spot starts as opposed to regular starts, as it's getting too late for him to find his game. If Pena doesn't turn it around soon, I'd put Diaz at SS, then have Tucker in right and either Yordan or Mancini at LF.

I'd leave McCormick in at center and let him get the plate appearances over the next couple months.

#25 DaChamp, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  6. ASTR0nomical

ASTR0nomical Member

dis some bull head'o lettuce!

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“No” is still an answer.

raining threes and Willy92683 like this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Center mass now what's the next move .

9. the shark

the shark Member

This is F'd up if you ask me.

Click didn't know???

Isn't it his job to F'n know this kind of stuff??

Also I take this as Click throwing Brantley under the bus. If you had known would you have been more aggressive at the deadline Click??

It's called communication guys!!

Brantley being out Isn't a surprise but hearing how all this went down doesn't give me a good feeling for Click. Do your job Click!!

10. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I'll miss you Uncle Mike

You're the professional hitter.

raining threes and awc713 like this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Has Jimbo Click been watching what everyone else is seeing? "How do we fix what isn't broken"??

You're only as strong as your weakest link and CF has been "broken" all year. Had all that cap space under the luxury tax (and still do) and you did NOT use it to improve the team and more importantly address a HUGE weakness on your team.

He went into the season thinking either Chas, Siri or Meyers (when he came back) would be the answer. Guess what you've seen it isn't working all F'n year and you did nothing to address it at the deadline.

Crane has shown he's willing to spend money. I think this is on ol Jimbo and his T.B. mindset of trying to be cute and finding a cheap solution. You are NOT in T.B. anymore Click!!

12. the shark

the shark Member

I'd like to apologize to Click as I forgot to mention that he did try to address CF by trading for Dubon. He's been here for awhile Jimbo. How's that been working out??

raining threes likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

If you're only as strong as your weakest link, and the Astros have the best record in the AL, then ...

msn likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

Then what smart @$$??

We're not talking about the regular season but the playoffs where everyone is on the same schedule and you're facing elite pitching.

15. Major

Major Member

... then maybe your statement is dumb.

So a team with 8 Yordan Alvarez's offensively and one Jake Meyers would be terrible, since you're only as good as your weakest link?

msn likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

What color is the sky in your world?

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Make him the hitting coach next season.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This would be a beyond horrific team defensively.

raining threes and Major like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Some of gods greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers.

solid, raining threes and RunninRaven like this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d be interested in seeing what happened. I have a hard time believing any team with a collective OPS over 1,000 would lose very often, but maybe the defense would be so horrific that it still happened. Sure would put a premium on contact for the other team. Fascinating. We just need some solid cloning tech to know for sure.

Major likes this.