1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Must Try Dishes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Just saw this posted on Eater, and I disagree with some, but I'd like to hear input. Their list:

https://houston.eater.com/maps/houston-must-eat-iconic-dishes

Alamo Tamales & Taco

They are off on this, but I'm not a huge fan of Tamales. However, this is one of the best breakfast taco places. Ham egg and cheese is the best play here.

Triple J's Smokehouse

Never been here, but $15 for a loaded brisket potato is ludicrous. Go to Brisket BBQ in Bellaire for half that price.

Rainbow Lodge

We go here all the time for brunch. The Duck Gumbo is meh. The thing to get here is the chicken fried venison. Our entire table orders it these days.

Coltivare Pizza & Garden

Never been here, so I can't say much. But I love a good Cacio y pepe.

The Original Ninfa's on Navigation

Haven't been in a while because I wasn't impressed two times in a row. Lil Pappasitos on Richmond is where I go when I want fajitas these days. Still have to respect Mama Ninfa, though. Their chicken fajitas are what to get.

Ostia

Never been. I can bake a chicken.

Niko Niko's

I made my mom a chicken shwarma last week. With homemade pita bread. My first time. Pain in the ass. I made 8 and only three came out ok. And I'm sure what I did wrong, but I'll buy them from now on. Niko's has always been ok. Never seen the big thing here. RIP Zabak's, which was my place to go since 1988.

Brennan's of Houston

Never had this shrimp dish. The ambience is cool and my favorite part is the 25 cent martini lunch special. That isn't a joke.

Kenny & Ziggy's Deli

This place is overpriced and overrated. And I love NY deli food. I miss Kahns in the village.

Hugo's

Another big miss, IMO. Been there three times with dates. Every time was underwhelming for both. 3 is it for me on trying a restaurant.

Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant

This one is on my must try list. Love a veal cutlet. If anyone has been, let me know.

The Breakfast Klub

Everyone says to get the waffles and wings, but the shrimp and grits are the better option.

Christie's Seafood & Steaks

Went here for the first time only a couple years ago. Best Fried Shrimp you will have.

Carrabba's - The Original on Kirby

I lived next to here for 5 years. Total meh.

Picos Restaurant

Used to be a bad ass place on Bellaire Blvd back in the day. Then they moved to Upper Kirby, changed their menu and now they suck. Been several times and still can't recommend a dish.

Himalaya Restaurant

Another place I need to try. Would love input on this one.

Mala Sichuan Bistro

This one is odd. I've gone with several critics who love the numbing peppercorns. You do you. I don't like them. However, if you stick to basic chinese stuff, this is a damn good place.

Crawfish & Noodles

Haven't been here specifically and not sure I've had the true experience. Another one I need to look further into.

Pho Binh By Night

Never been to the original, but have been to this one. Overpriced and nothing special.

I'll come up with others not mentioned on that list, but it's late.

FranchiseBlade, Deckard and King1 like this.
  2. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Himalaya fried chicken, chicken hara masala (my single favorite dish in town when paired with Himalaya naan) and steak tikka are all awesome. Its probably my favorite restaurant in town.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

wer frenchys

Poloshirtbandit and adoo like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with you on Original Ninfa's. Historically, I've loved it. Last time I was there the fajitas were entirely disappointing...not at all what they had been. Could have just been a bad day for them, obviously..but you saying that too makes me think there might be more to it.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Same

Roscoe Arbuckle and MadMax like this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

some of those places sound good, but i need to hear what master food critic jeff balke has to say about them first.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ninfas isn't what it use to be. I live 5 minutes away and will swing by either them or El Tiempo, but both are meh at this point for me. They are overpriced as well.

I see Niko Niko's on that list and I don't get the popularity of that place. I've tried several of their dishes and I'm always disappointed with their food. Do my taste buds just suck for not understanding the fascination with this place?

8. MadMax

I like Niko...but i eat one of 2 things there every time...a gyro pita or a Greek salad with shrimp.

Right now, I think Pappasito's has my favorite fajitas.

Nook, Roscoe Arbuckle and Deckard like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Their beef fajitas are no joke. But their tortillas taste like they were bought at the grocery store.

FranchiseBlade, Blake and MadMax like this.
  10. MadMax

yeah, you're right about that. I love the original Lupe's on Hwy 6 near I-10...it's still owned by the man who started them all. Their tortillas are amazing, but I feel like they're overcooking their fajita meat now too when we go there.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Aga's goat chops are life-affirming.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why must Houston try?

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP is sick of Houstonians just diving in and eating with their hands

Jontro likes this.
  14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I don't remember Niko Niko's being standout, but its not bad.

Carabbas is decidedly average to mediocre.

Crawfish and Noodles is nice. Definitely miss it (and crawfish in general) after not living in Houston for a while.

A personal must try is the Bot Chien at the original Tan Tan. Get it extra crispy. Comfort food I always grab whenever i'm in town.

Buck Turgidson and Jontro like this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bro no freaking lie. So so good

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Every time I hear that Christie's is still open, I'm a little surprised. They used to have a big restaurant in Midtown where my sister and I would have lunch with my mother. Great fried shrimp, salads, sides. Huge chains like Pappas have made things tough for them. The Midtown place has been closed for decades now, but the Westheimer location perseveres. Always try to make it by there when I'm in Houston. Hasn't changed much, which I like.

Sad to hear about the Ninfa's on Navigation going downhill. Back in the day, going there was special. Places like that make a mistake when they decide to become a chain and attempt to make the big bucks. They tend to lose what made them special in the first place. Like James Coney Island.

We used to go the the one and only original at Walker and Main Downtown whenever Dad took the family to see a movie at one of the classic Deco vaudeville palaces that were turned in movie theatres. Dad was addicted to the movies. When he was in high school during the Depression, he worked nights as an usher at a theatre for a nickel an hour. The Metropolitan, the Lowes State, the Majestic (images below). Just an incredible experience. After, we always went to James Coney Island, where you sat in one of the rows of old style elementary school chairs to eat what are still the best chili dogs I've ever had. The movie palaces, sadly, are gone, along with an irreplaceable part of Houston's history.

[​IMG]
    Inside the Lowe's:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the Majestic:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the Metropolitan, circa 1927 and Vaudeville:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#16 Deckard, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    MadMax, Blatz and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That dish hasnt been the same in over 6 years in Tan Tan. Owner change or head cook change but not as good as it used to be.

superfob, RedIsen and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am big fan of MAI's
    It has dipped slightly .. . . not as good as before the fire but still d*mn good

Big Fan of Lopez's (original on 59 and Wilcrest)
    Best Beef Enchilatas

Gringos - for a chain is not bad - I do like their Queso and Chips

Mikki's Soul Food on West Bellfort is a quality place

The Reggae Hut on Almeda is a staple of life for me too

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yes on MAI's although It's been years since I don't live in Houston anymore. However I was there for a meeting about maybe 6 years ago and we went in the middle of the night and it was pretty solid.

The vietnamese eggrolls and Bun Thit Nuong at Kim Sons are my favorite meal in the world.

Also if D'Amicos is still open in Rice Village I think its called Bracciolentini was very good.

We go into New Orleans a couple times a month and eat at a nice restaurant and obviously the food quality is top notch. However, I miss the diversity that Houston had.

There is a BBQ place at corner of Bellaire and Bissonet That we have been going to for probably 25 years. My sister passed away a few years ago and we hit it up, it was still the same Hispanic guys working behind the counter and I had not been there probably a decade.

**** I miss Houston.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Kasra’s off Westheimer

Best hummus you can find and all of their chicken and beef plates are great, order Chenjeh Sultani with cranberry rice and an order of hummus.