1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You spent all that time typing this up, and not even realizing what point you are arguing.

The argument is Mobley converts most of his shots near the basket. In other words, the majority of his points are scored near the basket. Feel free to disprove this.

Also, I do enjoy how you always hit the below checklist, and you legitimately hit all the check list again today. I sometimes wonder if you are deliberately trying to be the worse poster on this forum.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was not the original argument it's you trying to move the goal post what I was replying to is a post that said most of his shots were dunks and layups and you provided the numbers to refute that, Your own number says his average shot is 8 feet and that's not near the basket its mid-range if anything.

Checklist WTF?

Show me one example of me every saying data does not mean anything, I just used your own data to show how you were wrong.

Just continue to be a dumb ass, I take great pride in you thinking I am the worst poster on here.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Can you cool down and read what you yourself wrote?

Lets break this down, because there are so many incorrect information in your post.
    1. 8 feet is not mid-range. This is not debatable. Frankly, it is not hilarious, but outright sad that this needs to be explained to you.
    2. The free throw line is 15 feet from the basket, Mobley's average range is 8 feet. So not only do you think this is "not near the basket", you actually think this is a mid-range shot.
    3. The above two things are not even the key points, they are just additional things that I need to clarify because you somehow can't even get basic facts right.
    4. The key argument that you made, which is objectively false, is that Mobley doesn't "only convert shots around the rim". Mobley's FG% is 76% from 0-3 feet (36% of his shots), and his FG% is 38% from 3-10 feet (30% of his attempts). Guess what this means? He scores most of his points around the rim.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

66% free-throw shooter.
    25% three-point shooter.

Mobley and Sengun are similar shooters at the moment, with Alperen being more than a year younger.

If either or both of these guys figure out how to shoot the rock, scary...

(So happy to have Jalen Green, Jabari Smith, and Alperen Sengun) :)

#2426 RudyTBag, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay, you got me that does look like Blek Mamba with a Raiden summerhat.

Milos, i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

@jiggyfly you are arguing with the same guy who came at me for saying Jalen Green was bad in the first half and improved a ton in the second half, a compliment to Green. Funny enough, he also provided the exact stats to prove my point while arguing the opposite.

This was the original tweet in question, it says “7 foot center who TOOK most of his shots at the rim”, not “MADE”.

Assuming “most” means >50%, since he only took 36% of his shots from 0-3 feet, he certainly did not take most of his shots at the rim. Thanks for the data to back that up @flamingdts!

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I guess he really is THAT GUY.:rolleyes:

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

that’s not really what most means … but I don’t want to jump in on a stupid argument! Though I just did. Lol.

flamingdts and Easy like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Typically when people say "most", they mean greater than 51%.....because of what words mean.

In this example, it would have been accurate to have said "most of Mobley's shots were within 10 feet" or "most of Mobley's shots were outside of 3 feet". However, the statement "most of Mobley's shots were within 3 feet" is just factually incorrect.

Now if I'm choosing to be overly charitable, it's likely that the original intent was to say that there was a higher percentage in that one arbitrary distance category than in any other specific arbitrary distance category listed on some site somewhere....but without the context of the full list, it becomes an inaccurate or at best misleading statement.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. Great. Mobley's fans are back at it

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

even in these open runs Green barely gets the ball, lul. Green and Scottie are the stars, but homie is passing the ball to other guards, lol.

When Harden is in his open runs, and it's in the title, Harden and the players he is playing with know the deal.

FAT GREG SMITH SIGHTING!!

Did anyone post Pt 2? Jalen featured more in part 2. Jalen Green really is on another level at 25% speed.

#2433 DreamShook, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Little Bit and i3artow i3aller like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

0-3 36%
    3-10 31%
    10-16 14%
    16-3p 8%
    3p 11%

36% is "most" in this case.

"Most" means majority only when there are only two categories to compare. When there are 3 or more, "most" means... well, MOST.

I just jumped in on a stupid argument too. :D

But the main point is that, Mobley took shots closer to the basket in general than Green but their efficiencies are the same. Front line players who play closer to the basket are usually more efficient than guards who shoots a lot from outside.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

nah, as @Easy notes its just which category has the most, which in this case is 0-3 feet.

but its a stupid argument :)

Easy likes this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Are people really trying to say that "most" means over 50%? If so, that's totally wrong. Most simply means the highest number. Now, if there is only 2 parties, then "most" would mean >50%. Beyond that however, most can be any percentage as long as it's the highest. With "most" as the use case, saying Mobley takes most of his shots within 3 ft is 100% factually correct.

People are probably confusing "most" with "majority" which does typically imply more than half. In the use case of "majority" for example, we would then say that Mobley takes the majority of his shots within 10 ft.

As for the midrange argument, midrange is defined as a shot outside the "key" (rectangular area around rim that stops at the FT line), which is 16ft wide and 15ft long. This CAN include certain shoots between 8-10ft, but that's a very small percentile.

BigMaloe, BigM and Easy like this.
  17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Did I just walk into a kindergarten math session?

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Disagree here. There are only two "parties" here. The statement, "X player takes most of his shots at the rim" is a two-part qualified statement, namely, it implicitly involves (1) shots taken at the rim (option A) versus (2) shots NOT taken at the rim (option B). As such, if you say, "Most of his shots are Option A," you, inherently, are saying less than 50% of his shots are Option B. You can't read in unspecified factors such as 3 - 10 ft, etc.

19. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

They never left unfortunately. When Jalen wins the MVP they will still find a way to discredit him. Whatever we move on