1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

No Brantley return

2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    1B Mancini
    RF Tucker
    LF Diaz
    CF McCormick
    C Maldonado/Vasquez

Move Pena back to the 2 hole where he thrived.

Radricky likes this.
  2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I think Dusty has to have a feeling he won't be back next year. That's the only logical explanation for not playing Trey Mancini everyday. He's going to go down doing it his way.

How hard can it be to rotate Mancini between 1B/LF/DH?
    Diaz can adequately play five positions and "Dayoff Dusty" could really thrive by resting others and still keeping Diaz in the lineup. Doesn't always have to be LF.

I know we like to be armchair managers all the time, but realistically, this situation really shouldn't be that difficult to navigate.

3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

As of now, going 30-21 to close out the season gets us to matching our 2017 win total at 101.

4. Major

Major Member

MLB is set up no differently than the NBA or NHL or March Madness or most any other sport except the NFL.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Keep telling yourself that. Baseball doesn’t work like that.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right... but the playoffs are set up so the number 2 seed gets to play the worst division winner or worst wild card team.

Unfortunately, as it stands now, the top 2 wild card teams will be better teams than the other 2 which is a bad look for the first year this system is in play.

There will be years that isn't the case. If not, I suspect things will change.

marks0223 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd add, MLB plays a lot of games such that the divisions really aren't needed except for scheduling. The teams should be seeded by record with division winners only being guaranteed a postseason birth.

8. Major

Major Member

Sure - but that's also how other sports have worked. NBA only recently stopped putting division winners above wildcards, I believe - for most of its existence, it was the same, where a bad division winner got seeded above better wildcard teams from other divisions.

The reward for being #1 seed vs #2 seed is homefield advantage if those two teams play each other. Beyond that, it doesn't necessarily mean you get the easiest road prior to that. I liked the idea of letting teams pick their opponents, though I totally get why MLB scrapped that idea.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So at it stands today, you'd rank them?

*Astros
    *Yankees
    Jays
    Mariners
    Rays
    *Indians

*Division winners

jim1961 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That looks more or less right (not sure on tiebreakers). Strongest team on top, weakest team on bottom.

bobrek likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

The twins are missing which could replace the indians as the divisions winner i suppose. but then that'll push them to the wild card race

Balt has also played themselves into a possible postseason birth

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I always forget Diaz had an All-Star season with the Cardinals.

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Twins are currently tied with Cleveland for the Central and Cleveland owns the head to head 6-5 with 8 games left. So as it is right now Minnesota is on the outside looking in.

conquistador#11 and Joe Joe like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh yeah. i was just noting that those 6 teams aren't necessarily the best 6 teams in the AL. still a good amount of time to shuffle between the last couple of spots

conquistador#11 and Joe Joe like this.
  15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would work if it meant he'd get more fastballs, but until he stops chasing the stuff off the plate, no one should change their approach with him - even if he was batting between 'Tuve and Yordan.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd rather face the weaker team in the ALDS than have Home field advantage in the ALCS. For one, home field doesn't matter as we have seen numerous times like with the Braves and Nationals in 2019. Secondly, there is no guarantee the Yankees would even make it to the ALCS. I'm rooting for the 2 seed.

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Free Mancini
    Free Diaz

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  18. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

dusty just throws darts at a random line up dart board

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

The stros record in the playoffs for the last several years says different. and anyone that's been to MM during the postseason knows the atmosphere is definitely significant

if you would rather face the weaker team in the ALDS that means you're rooting for the 1 seed that sets up to play the weaker rank (4-5 series over 3-6 series), unless you just assume the #6 team is going to beat the #3 team in the WC. That is the only scenario where the 2 seed plays #6

#279 YOLO, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  20. BonziWellsGOAT

Dusty is gonna Dusty that's for sure. Head firmly in the sand

Stephen66 and The Beard like this.