1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zoomer (Gen Z) Work Ethic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think that's a useful insight. But, is the difference that you see among the younger generations a result of being younger or of their generation? Because what you describe of young people thinking they're hot stuff but actually being a huge pain in the ass sounds like one of the timeless stories of humanity.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dunno. I was born in the last year or two of Gen X. All the people that I started working with as interns or new hires "did our time" I feel like. I remember unproductive people that I worked with, but they certainly weren't entitled. If anything I think they tried to go under the radar.

Also, I was a manager while Millennials were hitting the workforce, and while they got a lot of poo poo for being entitled and lazy, I didn't see it that much, at least not nearly as much as I've seen in the last 3-4 years.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It's a lot of do something ridiculous to win money. There are some straight up giveaways though. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't think he is teaching any valuable lessons. My 8 year old seems to think he is cool because gets a lot of views and makes a lot of money.

Mr Rogers consulted with psychologist and sociologists. He was concerned with the level of empathy in society and the mental health of children.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Related

Security guard at Lollapalooza faked mass shooting threat to leave work early: prosecutors

5. Nook

Nook Member

Really?

So lets see....

I remember being a kid and hearing from relatives that were in their 80's or 90's complain that the people that were born around 1900 had it so good and were so soft and lazy. That they did drugs and were promiscuous and wanted to only have fun and not work hard..... or at least that is what their parents and grand parents told them. Of course no one talks about the fact that this generation brought about the downfall of monarchy or fought in WWI.

Then we had the Greatest Generation, that fought in WWII and was so loudly praised. Which I find some what odd because WWI was worse than WWII and the Greatest Generation had unrivaled economic prosperity. FWIW the WWI generation did not think that the WWII was very tough or had the proper work ethic. This was all forgotten when all those that were of age in the WWI generation died. The Greatest Generation had ample jobs and home ownership for white people was very obtainable. It was a great time to be young and becoming an adult as long as you were a white male.

The Baby Boomers Generation has some how decided they were the generation of values and hard work and it is complete bullshit. The Baby Boomers were viewed as soft, not interested in hard work or social structure. Drug use was rampant, hippies were common and there was a strong rebellion against the Greatest Generation. The Boomers were not great at structure or saving money. They wanted instant gratification.

Generation X. They were called apathetic and cynical. I now see that as time goes on the Generation X is being praised for a work ethic that really was not all that wonderful compared to some prior generations.

Millennials? People said the same **** about Millennials that they are about Generation Z.

I suppose the take away is that the USA and the West is and has been incredibly entitled for at least the last 100 years. There are events like the Great Depression and WWI and WWII that have some degree of impact on a generation, but even the incredibly grizzled generation like the WWI generation raised children that were not as tough. It seems to ultimately not matter much what generation it is.... people are people.

The other thing in general is that all of these "generations" are largely written from the perspective of white men. The view for black Americans, immigrants, Hispanic Americans and women is going to be very different in many cases.

Young people get old........ old people are comfortable with how they do things ...... and change isn't embraced.

I don't agree with everything any generation did..... but the flaws made by Generation Z is certainly no worse than other generations.

6. omgTHEpotential

tinman likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah well...**** BOOMERS

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Zoomers are great. I think it's some problem where old guys see someone on their phone for a few minutes instead of pretending to work and have a problem with it.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This generation is telling people how to steal
    Cars on social media then get arrested because they have to show off that they did on social media

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I personally haven’t seen a poor work ethic from Zoomers. Poor communication/customer service skills though. I even advocated to hire a fresh out of college Zoomer at my precious position because she was a hustler. 20 years old with a science degree from UH. She got the job over people twice her age.

My oldest is a Zoomer and he works his ass off…because that’s how we raised him. His group of friends are hard workers too.

The Millennials I’ve worked with are hustlers, too. Mostly, I think, because when they entered the job market they were competing against incumbent Boomers and prime Gen X workers. Tough entry point.

LondonCalling, jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Only zoomer I know is my sister in law. She definitely hustles way more than I ever did at that age. Even on her days off/weekends, she's contracting to make more money.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Only 18% of zoomers have had a full time job.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

His Rogan interview basically shows how much of a Youtube genius he actually is. Its pretty eye opening.

15. Invisible Fan

Likely not a zoomer thing but didn't want to make a thread for it

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I mean, we all know that reality TV is totally fabricated nonsense, but assuming this is even remotely authentic.... if I were that chick I'd tell that guy to go pound sand... not gonna sit there and get dressed down for some guy's ego trip on national TV... all for a job at what, Globogym?

Boomers see this and think "what a spoiled/entitled brat".

Zoomers see this and think "homie this crap ain't worth 9 bucks an hour".

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

what's her name

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Invisible Fan

I think it's a joke to work your ass off for a 50k ass. man. position at Wal-mart.

Some of these articles are used to divide or chide newer generations that don't fall in line for the "order of things." Well, many millennials got screwed over the 3+ financial crises over their working lifetimes, which broke all of the previous promises and gave many of the older groups the gains.

I guess millennials and younger can wait and hope for older groups to age and die off, but I think work as its presently defined will need a revamp as software continues to replace a lot of higher order work while 80% sit idle with potentially low-paying busy-work.

If Your Co-Workers Are ‘Quiet Quitting,’ Here’s What That Means

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And they are both right?