1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Trainwreck Woodstock 99

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ArtV, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure, it was a train wreck , but for hundreds of thousands of those who went it was a positive transformational experience, as you point out. I didn't care for the focus just on the problems that occurred. The Texas International Pop Festival (what a mouthful!) was far more organized, without the problems and the rain. The Hog Farm set up a trip tent and there was plenty of food and things to drink. Looking out at a sea of well over 100,000 and dancing as Led Zeppelin played at the end of August of '69 was a real trip, one I haven't forgotten.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm soooo jealous you got to see Led Zeppelin. By far one of my favorites that I never got to see. I was in KC in 69 when they last came by. I was too young (10) to see them in 69 and they had an "incident" that caused them to never return.

From a resource -
    Apparently, the band killed some time that afternoon at a nearby Shakey's pizzeria, chugging beer and, in Bonham's case, whiskey. He was blackout drunk.

Their first song was 'Whole Lotta Love.' Page did the opening riff, and Bonham just sat there. It became evident that there was a roadie behind him, holding him upright. He would sporadically snap out of his coma and pound out licks completely unrelated to the song, then slump over.

At one point, John Paul Jones hit him in the head with his bass. Nothing. Page killed time with his violin-bow/guitar shtick. When they'd met their contractual obligation, Bonham promptly vomited on the drums and passed out

The crowd booed them throughout their set. They vowed to never return. They kept that vow.

I was hoping in 77 they would forgive and forget - but they didn't. St Louis was the closest stop. Back then there was no internet - you had to get in line to buy tickets. It wasn't easy to just plan and get tickets in another city. You almost had to know someone in a city to purchase the tickets. And Zeppelin was a quick sellout with very little scalping - none that I could afford.

BigM and Deckard like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You have my sympathy. I don't envy today's music fans who want to see a popular group in any genre that's on tour and playing in major venues. Heck, even minor venues. Taking a date, "significant other," or spouse to a concert can literally cost hundreds of dollars. The "service charges" are such an outrageous racket. They didn't exist in the '60's and well into the '70's, and were exceedingly rare by the end of that decade. Not that I recall, anyway. Even then, it might be a couple of bucks. You bought tickets at a record store or customer service at a department store like Foley's. They were glad to do it for free because it brought in people, who might buy something while they were there. What a concept! At record stores I usually bought a couple of LP's anyway. Usually $4 a piece, a couple of dollars more for a double album.

In 1969 Led Zeppelin were on fire. Their first LP got released in the States that January and I was wearing it out on my turntable. Bad luck in KC. That's a pretty well known catastrophe! He was arguably the best and they were tremendous at the festival. What was a trip is that I'd already seen them at the beginning of August on the 3rd at the Houston Music Hall, which was the best venue in town to see anyone, unless you were at a club. They were great!

[​IMG]

ArtV likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

2 pages and no mentioning of the greatest set ever to play on that stage in 99. RIP Fred Durst

Jontro and kubli9 like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Once bought scalped tickets to Van Halen after their second album came out. Paid $18 a piece for two tickets that were 3rd row center stage.

Awesome concert by the way.

Jontro, ArtV and Deckard like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's what I remember. Watching NIN at a friend's house who bought the PPV. I remember hearing it was a sh*tshow but I wasn't there so I didn't really care.

Man what I'd give to be able to go back in time and go to that festival. That would've been amazing. Unfortunately, I was -6 at the time and my parents weren't that cool...and lived in Pennsylvania...and were just dating.

Deckard and Ziggy like this.
  7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Wow...just wow!

KC seemed like a big city at the time but when you see who was playing in Houston on a somewhat regular basis...smh...not even...

Deckard likes this.
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Korn and Rage Against the Machine also pretty amazing sets to watch.

#28 kubli9, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    VanityHalfBlack and jakedasnake like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This doc is great I forgot how far off the rails it went the lineup was crazy random -- the first day is all I've watched so far but James Brown, Sheryl Crow, Korn (at their peak) and Bush (far from their peak) -- wow what were they thinking... Poor Gavin looks like he still has PTSD from having to follow that Korn set -- you know the crowd was pissed having to listen Bush.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This doc annoyed me on how much they trashed heavy metal. A lot of the heavy metal sucked (i.e.Limp Bizkit, ICP) but even they were pretty solid live. Korn and Rage were unbelievable and yet here is an interview with Moby of all ****ing people to bad mouth heavy metal and basically say it isn't music and everyone who listens to it sucks. That really pissed me off. I would like Moby and Tom Morello to have a discussion about who knows the most about music.

kubli9 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

My old office is on the old festival site/drag strip at the intersection of I-35 and Round Grove Rd in Lewisville. They put up an historical marker a few years ago.

Deckard likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not saying that Moby is a good guy or anything. (from what i remember he seems pretty egotistical) Also Morello is one my favorite all time musicians. Moby had some good songs here and there and Play was an overall good album.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Natalie Portman story is weird.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Oh yeah. Didn’t he stalk her or was it underage something and he was rejected?

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

I wonder if they'll show where we booed from the announcement of Sugar Ray until they announced he cancelled. It seemed like an hour, I wonder how well my memory holds.