1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brittney Griner in jail…….in Russia!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Newlin, Mar 5, 2022.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't think she should have done more than a month but that's my personal opinion. You don't go to Russia and especially not break the law. Play stupid games win stupid prizes

2. raining threes

I'm pretty sure the Russians don't care what we think.

3. jayland

jayland Member

Some countries have very harsh laws for drug related offensives compared to ours. In some countries possession of just a small amount of drugs for personal use means a decade or more in prison. Meanwhile drug dealing or trafficking means guaranteed death penalty.

We might look at it and say those laws are crazy. But people in those country see there's around $200 billion worth of illegal drugs sold in the US every year and think we are crazy too for not having harsher laws.

I guess it largely depends on how accepting of drug use a country is. If we hear about a celebrity being arrested for drugs we usually don't think much of it. In other countries though it may mean the end of their career.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Wrongfully detained? What planet do these morons live on?

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Griner made a really dumb mistake...we've all done stupid things. I agree that she should have to face the consequences of her mistake, but she absolutely has done that, (based on US legal standards). I also see where people are coming from being annoyed that the government seems to have prioritized the negotiation of her release above others, but I don't think it has to do anything with race or sexual orientation. I think famous people get treated differently, and popular opinion is able to move the powers that be more when it comes to famous people, and that's a problem.

UTSA2step, bleedroxred79 and Newlin like this.
  6. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Bravo. Took the words right out of my mouth

T for 3 likes this.
  7. RocketsDraftTV

she kneeled during the national anthem. She could never do that in any other eastern european country. I hope when she is released she will realize how good she had it here in the states

fckbandwagons likes this.
  8. Chucky_Brown

Chucky_Brown Member

People on here are just being incredibly dense.

Griner's detention/trial/conviction have nothing to do with the laws in Russia. That country started a war in Ukraine, the United States opposed it, provided aid for Ukraine, and infuriated the Russians. And so a country with little recourse beyond the unimaginable sought what little leverage it could get over the Biden administration and apprehended a minor celebrity.

That's it. There's nothing else here. Nothing else matters.

You guys are being painfully, painfully naive if you think "law" -- and not politics -- have anything to do with it. Griner could have passed through the airport with this on hand a hundred times before and been fine. The geopolitical situation changed and she got caught in the blender.

Russia is a weak, corrupt, and poor country that made an awful decision now making it weaker, more corrupt, and poorer. They're now in the process of losing a war, somehow, to a country that could barely muster an army in the first place. And so this arrest is the best they can do to "strike back" at the U.S. It's less the action of a first-rate power and more a crime boss quickly running out of options.

And please, for the love of god, save your indignation that she should have been smarter or known better -- or at least re-direct it. Of course she should have been smarter. But as far as who is to blame here, you can either fault the bloodthirsty autocrat who's responsible for tens of thousands of needless Ukranian deaths and doesn't give a single f*ck about justice, or human life, or the rule of law, or you can blame the naive basketball player.

I'll leave it to you geniuses to figure it out.

P.S. on top of all that, any White House deal for Griner has been paired with Paul Whelan, a former cop in Michigan held since 2018 on espionage charges. So while celebrity is indeed a factor in the attention she's being paid, it might work out that it helps out someone who decidedly not famous, too.

UTSA2step likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Tom Brady got sentenced in Russia to a decade over a minuscule amount of drugs half the country would line up to suck a dick to free him.

Instead, it's black dike woman who participated in peaceful protest (is that legal here?), therefore is less American and deserving of action than someone like Tom Brady and whatnot, shouldn't be allowed to come back without denouncing BLM and CRT

UTSA2step likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If the wnba was more popular they would be lining up to suck her dick too.

11. Chucky_Brown

Chucky_Brown Member

Just nuke the whole thread from orbit. Only way to be sure.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

WNBA, NBA, Walmart worker, patriot, flag burner, whatever, a lot of posters seem hyper-focused on the personal politics in relation to what they believe the US's response should be, as if it matters.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If she wasn’t a well known person, would you want her home?
    I personally think it’s weird dynamic, the entitlement to think any American can get away with anything in Russia right now is mind boggling. Lack of awareness deserves some type of punishment imo.

Now, I want all Americans home, because **** Russia. But this girl needs some teachin.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  14. Theking

Theking Member

And if i got arrested there qould be less people than brittney griner, whats your point?

Half the country didnt know who this dike was now they are talking prisoner swap.

What a chump

King1 likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

All I know is they better be calling her by her correct pronouns over there or this is going to escalate to a nuclear war quick!!

fckbandwagons and Theking like this.
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Nobody knew who she was really before this. WNBA isn't popular obviously. She's more popular in Russia probably. People aren't going to feel bad for her being am idiot and denouncing the country she is begging to get her back. Nobody cares She's a black lesbian

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

She’s been in a Russian jail for six months. You don’t think she’s learned something by now? How much punishment do you want her to get?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

As I said, I want all Americans home. Some punishment should be on the docket by the US for having to bail her out. The 6 months or more over there is her initial eye opener.
    People need to stop being stupid, she isn’t special, no one is over there.
    That doesn’t mean it’s right what is happening or that she should stay there, but all she’s doing is perpetuating the dumb, entitled American rhetoric abroad. And US is going to reward her for it? By letting her come home, in a swap for a known mass murderer?

Bring her home, but there needs to be some sort of lesson learned.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Thing is. If she got the appropriate sentence that everyone else does, there is not much one can say. From their perspective, she was going to distribute, which is doing harm to children or people by law. So it is what it is. I don' t know what the culture is really like on the street, but as long as they are fair, then welp. I mean she did try to get it past security unfortunately. It's not like they were trying to nail her on the street for possession, which if I were to guess, is lot more lenient from the police.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don’t view her as special. I don’t want her to get any special treatment. I think nine years is too much time for anyone accused of the crime she committed. Keep in mind that Griner is only part of the prisoner swap that the U. S. Is proposing. I view her as a minor addition to the deal, although she is the most high profile individual involved. The crimes of the other people involved in the swap are far more significant than what Griner was convicted of.

cmoak1982 likes this.