1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yuli’s “hot streak”

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’ve seen and heard a lot of talk about Yuli’s recent “hot streak” and I think it needed to be put in perspective…

Last 7 games:

.300/.323/.363 (.686 OPS) w/ 0 HR, 2 RBI

Last 15 games:

.281/.317/.404 (.721 OPS) w/ 0 HR, 3 RBI

Last 30 games:

.275/.325/.394 (.719 OPS) w/ 1 HR, 8 RBI

Anyone thinking he needs to remain the starter over Mancini needs to take off their rose colored glasses, wake up and realize this isn’t last year. He’s 38 years old.

Don’t be a fool like the guy managing our team (unfortunately) - Yuli needs to be reduced to a part time player similar to Beltran back in 2017. Something like 1-2 starts a week and then a pinch hitter like dumbass (Dusty’s new name) has used Mancini this week. Anyone who is objective and capable of looking at the facts here can see that.

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Random Yuli Fact - He has 820 career MLB hits. Very nice number considering he started playing here at age 32. If he started playing in his early 20s he could have a HOF case.

3. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

"Dumby" kinda has a nice ring to it

King1 and Htown Stros like this.
  4. HeyBudLetsParty

Yuli is a legend, but realistically we’re better with Mancini at first. He can have a Beltran presence for this years playoff run.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Now I am one who thinks Yuli should be platooned with Mancini, but I think the stars you laid out do not do him justice.

He has been hitting 2nd in the lineup not 4th or 5th.

He is in a table setting position, not a run producing position.

Runs are more important than RBI.
    On base % and K% are important.

Since July 1 He has played 27 games, scored 12 runs, has a .330 OB%, and 10.5% K%. AND has stolen 5 bases without getting caught.

Not all star numbers and not worthy of everyday play when Trey Mancini is on the bench, but much better than earlier in the year and not tragic as the 6th best hitter on a team.

Htown Stros likes this.
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This is all I was trying to get across by my post. His days of being an everyday option at 1B on a WS contender should be over yet Dusty refuses to see that. I brought up Beltran because Hinch WAS able to see that back in 2017…something tells me Dusty would have left Beltran in that lineup everyday.

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

No one is denying that. That’s why benching him is as hard as it is - every Astro fan loves him and rightfully so, he’s had a great run with us and has come up with some huge hits. But there comes a time when you’ve got to play the best players - it’s ridiculous Mancini has been on the bench now for 2 out of 3 games and sadly unless Click steps in I don’t see that changing.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah cool. Hey did you know that Yuli has 29 rbi’s on Aug 5th. Our starting 1st baseman who has batted 5th all season?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think age alone explains it. I think maybe he won his batting title and then relaxed during the off-season. Then, never quite found his rhythm. I could be wrong, though.

#9 Surfguy, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    raining threes likes this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

He came back in the best shape he's ever been when season started. Lost a bunch of weight or whatever...he needs to go back and munch on more burgers or something.

Love the guy.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Interesting. A case where hard work doesn’t pay off.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If I remember right, and it's fair to emphasis IF, he came into camp in the best shape ever. Could spending time and effort to get into shape have caused him to be worn out?

Htown Stros likes this.
  14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Plain and simple, play the best player come playoffs Dusty you dildo.

raining threes, Htown Stros and King1 like this.
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This is what I think personally.

Hmmm if only there was something that could help fix possibly being worn out :confused:

OH WAIT, how about Mr. Dusty “Off Day” Baker actually give him rest like he gives to our 24 year olds and use him 50% of what he’s doing now?!

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Mancini should absolutely be in the starting lineup tonight.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My thought base from being older is that recovering from getting in shape is far more difficult for a 38 year old than a 28 year old.

While there is variation of course, I think they've had several studies indicating the typical peak age for people physically is 27ish. It was my experience as well. I just fell apart faster than typical.

Htown Stros likes this.
  18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I've finally gotten to a place this season where I've accepted that Yuli isn't going to regain his former glory. It was such a steep decline from last season, I thought maybe it was just a prolonged slump, but now I think his numbers from this season are who he is. Dusty really needs to start running Mancini out there. La Pina has done much for this team, but we need to be positioning ourselves for the playoffs.

Htown Stros likes this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Has he ever not done that? All the complaints about Dusty and his lineups have been moot in the playoffs.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Pena also hits better in the 2 hole. If Mancini is the starter he wouldn’t be hitting in the 2 hole. My everyday lineup when Verlander isn’t pitching, although Dusty will never do it:

Altuve 2b
    Pena ss
    Alvarez lf/dh
    Tucker rf
    Bregman 3b
    Mancini lf/dh
    McCormick cf
    Yuli 1b
    Vazquez c

If Brantley returns:

Altuve 2b
    Brantley dh/lf