1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCullers Plan

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landry's Tooth, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I think a lot of us are assuming he's being moved back into the rotation but I'm thinking maybe best to use him out of the bullpen.

If we have a long series with the Yankees he could impact three different games instead of one or two. His breaking ball could neutralize Judge and Stanton. I would use him to start an inning clean in which he faces judge. I would hold him back for a game that's close around the 6th or 7th inning...

Just curious what others think...

I know he hasn't done that a lot but we have the rest of the year for him to get used to it.

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

Whose the playoff starters?

Verlander, Valdez, and Urquidy for sure.

Garcia as the 4th starter?

Javier can start or come out of the bullpen. A healthy McCullers can do either as well.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I can't see them resting him 4 days between games and ramping up to 76+ pitches only to send him to the bullpen.

I think his arm needs the routine too.

I would hate to see him get hurt again because they tried to pitch him with only 1 or 2 days of rest, or back to back days after not doing that the entire rehab process

And if he has to rest 2 or 3 days between games he is a liability in the bullpen

vince, Wulaw Horn and Tomstro like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

My thinking is the bullpen might be easier on him because we would limit his use to utilize him in close games and specifically for matchups.

He could pitch 1 inning 3 times in a 7 game series I might be good with it if they are tight in those games...

Just my opinion... i worry about ramping him up to go 80+ pitches so quickly...

5. Major

Major Member

Verlander
    Valdez
    Javier/McCullers tandem (both of these guys are fantastic but can't necessarily go deep into games)
    Urquidy

It also hopefully gives your bullpen a day off and keeps anyone from having to pitch 4 or 5 times in a series.

6. Yordan The Great

I think he's going to be a fixture in the bullpen.

He's shown he can get it done in the playoffs out of the pen.

He's going to be the 2021 version of Javier.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted LMJ in the pen years ago because he used to not be able to go deep into games and seemed injury prone. He has however proven he has ace level stuff and mental make up. He threw 76 pitches in his last start. I'd assume by late September he'll be up to 100 pitches if he has no set backs. The Astros have always held fast to the fact he is a starter.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Lance blamed his injury on not having his normal routine because of the rainout in the ALDS. I don't see them asking him to pitch out of the bullpen after that.

Wulaw Horn and IowaAstro like this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Get Hunter Brown up here and see if he's worth having in the bullpen for that longer relief in the playoffs.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You really think the Astros are going to send down Maton or Abreu to give Brown a shot? Nope.... maybe a September call up when they can carry 14 pitchers.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  11. marks0223

Supporting Member

Seth Martinez. Seth was the 2-3 inning guy initially but appears he's no longer stretched out for that. He's been more hitable lately. He's done well, nothing personal, but the Astros are trying to put together the best roster for October so see what you have in Brown. Seth can come back for September call-ups.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

apples and oranges. He’s a high pitch count starter. While I don’t fully agree with his assertion that one day of throwing off schedule led to almost a year of downtime - throwing 90 plus pitches and coming back on short rest is way different then throwing an inning three games in a row.

He has always profiled as a high end reliever.
    The high end starter has always been a question given his durability.

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I want to see him dominating in Sugar Land before I start thinking about what to do with him. Right now the Astros have an historically good rotation and I would not be in a hurry to mess with that. If he reaches the end of his stint in the minors before he is able to dominate AAA I would have to say he belongs in the pen.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's gonna get sent down for LMJ.

Abreu could get sent down, but that would burn his last option heading into next season. He's also pitched really well.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

It's crazy that a guy with an ERA of 2 and sub-1 WHIP will get sent down after just a couple of bad outings. Even his bad month of July featured a sub-1 WHIP and more K's than IPs.

16. marks0223

Supporting Member

There are several launching pads in the PCL. He's dominating.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree but that's a good problem to have.

There are no pitchers that should go down instead

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I was referring to McCullers. Sorry I was not clear.

marks0223 likes this.
  19. marks0223

Supporting Member

Well this is a McCullers thread :D I'll take the L

20. PhiSlammaJamma

He thinks he can peak at 39 and pull a Verlander.