1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 12, 2018.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

tinman, Xerobull and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Slight spoiler on Namor's kingdom based off Hasbro's packaging for its action figures.

https://thedisinsider.com/2022/07/2...can-in-marvels-black-panther-wakanda-forever/

This week, Hasbro revealed a first look at a new action-figure for Namor, The Sub-Mariner, played by Mexican actor Tenoch Huerta, and what’s interesting is that it provided an interesting description for the character that will make his debut on Black Panther 2. Here’s the description:

“The ruler of Talocan, an ancient civilization hidden in the depths of the ocean, Namor will stop at nothing to protect his people”.

According Hasbro’s website, Namor will be the ruler of an ancient civilization called Talocan, name that seems to be inspired by Tlālōcān, a place that comes from the Aztec mythology. Tlālōcān means Place of Tlāloc, it’s a paradise for those who died through drowning or lightning, and it’s ruled by said Aztec deity.

We’ve known that Namor’s background will be changed for the movie and that’s why from the very beginning they started looking for people from Latin America, specifically from Mexico and Guatemala, to portray these characters.

[​IMG]
    During this year’s San Diego Comic-Con when we got to see the teaser for the movie we confirmed that the aesthetics for Namor’s kingdom will be heavily inspired by Aztec and Mayan culture, providing the character a brand new identity that could help people differentiate him from DC’s Aquaman, played by Jason Momoa.

Tenoch Huerta also talked about the representation on the film during an interview at SDCC. He says that the changes for Atlantis and the Atlanteans were made by Marvel Studios and that the company was “open, respectful, intelligent [and] sensitive” about those changes to the popular Marvel character. Here’s the full quote:

“It’s inspired by Mesoamerican cultures, the people that were involved as consultants are Mexican academics that are actually from the region and they made this possible. The company and the production were totally open, willing, respectful, intelligent [and] sensitive. That’s how representation should be, that’s how things should be made”.

To be honest, it’s great to finally see a character that’s inspired by Mesoamerican cultures so the world can give these cultures the respect and recognition they deserve after centuries of being marginalized and discriminated. And it’s even better that the characters are played by actors from Mexico and Guatemala.
    He's also half mutant. The Mayan design is new to me, and does fill in a diversity checkbox, but don't care as long as it's well executed.

#302 Invisible Fan, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Slyonebluejay and Xerobull like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

I thought people from Atlantas were black like Wakandra.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don't use "woke". White men, small penis. The reason to change Namor is because you have Aquaman and Atlantis on DC's side. They are trying to differentiate from that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They change just about every character's background so it's just par for the course. At some point they should just create new characters with different names. It's fine if they want to but it doesn't seem to make much sense when the character is dramatically altered to call them the same name that existed in the comics.

jiggyfly and Slyonebluejay like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That actually makes sense.

Had not thought of it that way, Namor was actually 1st before Aquaman I found out in research,

Xerobull likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This seems to be the 1st time they changed a characters' origin from comic cannon to movie adaption.

I don't remember them doing this in a comic, but I am way out of touch.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

I think Namor was retconned (at least once) in the comic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namor

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think changing his background is cool in this case. I like the change a lot. Lulz at people pretending to CRY about it, as if NAMOR was their FAVORITE character of all-time. Lulz. People love to cry man.

White men. Small penis.

Invisible Fan, rhino17 and Blatz like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So he originally was supposed to be born here.

"Namor was born in the capital city of the Atlantean empire, then located under the Antarctic ice pack."

That's new info for me and I can't find him being retconned to another place, so it seems the movie is doing something very different.

The entire Wiki was an interesting read, I usually go down a superhero rabbit hole when I read those, now I want to know more about the Defenders of the Deep.:D

#310 jiggyfly, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

@Nomar is any of this true?

Blatz and Xerobull like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I like the change, but it's not cannon and I understand why some would be bothered by that.

If I was Mediterranean, I might have issues as well if I grew up identifying with the character.

I am not going to lie, I am a little worried because it seems a change just to reach another audience and that usually does not go well and with all the misses of Marvel lately consider me concerned.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think the main issue with Marvel is they keep going with cosmetic changes but aren't creating interesting, cohesive storylines. I guess we will see what happens with Yucatan Namor and Wakanda. I mean it could be interesting, but I'm not counting on it at this point.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Yerp

Aquaman is usually the butt of all Justice League jokes and now that his movie was a success, it makes perfect sense to show how different they can be.

Atlantis with the underwater Greek ruins theme is played out, and you know how jaded comic bros are when they're bored...yet still want that nostalgic consistency their mother's comics used to have.

I honestly don't give a crap about Namor even if he's old school (avenger, foil, Illuminati, etc..).

Seems like a low risk, high reward retcon to me, but I never wore Namor PJs waiting for the day the character is done right on the big screen.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There was an X-Men recap book that came out a few years ago. Basically it framed Namor as the reason humans hated mutants. He put NY under water. Killed millions. I hope they go that route and don't make in an Avenger or anything.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

So this is basically predator 2 with the cartel vs the Jamaicans on a different level

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can get on board with the Yucatán, Namor, and it could be very interesting, but he has a high bar to get over, Namor has always been a favorite character of mine and him coming from classical Atlantis is a large reason why.

They also could have differentiated him from Aquaman, I need to see some work this guy has done that's playing Namor because that is the real key.

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Member
    Supporting Member

He was on Narcos Mexico and did a great job. His acting won't be the issue, but language might. Haven't heard him speak English, but he likely has a heavy accent. He had to learn some Mayan dialect for the movie so it's possible he doesn't speak much of either English and Spanish.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good to hear.

JumpMan likes this.