1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zoomer (Gen Z) Work Ethic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Our two kids are millennials, college graduates who have excellent jobs. The youngest isn't too far off from qualifying for the upper end of the current "Zoomer" group (really? Zoomers?) I'll ask him what he thinks about them next time we talk. I'm sure he must know at least a few. He'll probably just laugh.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's Rob LeiFeld
    Basically he described himself at the beginning of his career

Rocket River

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know why it has to be a generational thing. He can't just say he hired some guys who turned out to be entitled little a-holes, so he fired them? He may as well have chalked his anecdotal experience up to their race or religion.

superfob and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

That entire ethos that you need to give your kids things you never had has backfired, also parents feeling guilty about not being available leads to a lot of overcompensation has attributed to a lot of the entitlement.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

These people want to grow up to be Ben Simmons or the Kardasians

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

+1, kids are the ultimate karma

#27 Xerobull, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What's a +1 kid?

9. Xerobull

The heir, the spare, then the crazy one is the +1

Punctuation saves lives.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Generally the middle child

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think every generation thinks the one after them is lazier or dumber than they were.

I hired a few Gen Z this summer and they are good workers. They want more work than I can give them. I think every generation has its slackers and go getters. Gen X was originally put in to describe a generation that was lost and without the focus of generations before it.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Gen X were the golden age of hip hop
    We built this breh

Rakim > Lil Peep or whatever those dudes are called now

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Xerobull

14. Xerobull

Yeah.... but we turned that cutting sarcasm and bitterness into a laser focus on revenge.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at posting SNL. They're done. Go woke stay broke

tinman and Xerobull like this.
  16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have managed a lot of people, from all age groups and from all parts of the world in super large companies.

Here's the difference:

The top 20% of your employees, regardless of age, do most of the work. That's just how it is. You're constantly juggling your best people to deliver without burning them out, while at the same time trying to get the 80% to achieve the most they can.

The difference that I see, and this is conjecture from my own experience: In the younger generations, the lower half of the talent/productivity population THINKS they are as entitled and as valuable as that top 20%. Instead of keeping their mouths shut and learning and asking for help, or taking advice, or figuring out what to do to help, or at least not causing additional work or problems, they THINK they are valuable...or at least AS VALUABLE as the actual VALUABLE people, so they cause a bunch of extra work, or waste time, or complain about stuff.

In the older generations (and I'm including millennials in this you old farts), the people that do the minimally viable work keep their heads down and their mouths shut. That's fine, whatever, not everybody is a superstar. They do their incremental value-add and go home.

The other very difficult thing is that the younger Gen Z'ers that NEED help, often don't accept it. They often don't take criticism in any form, positive, negative, whatever. When offered advice on how to be more helpful, they don't want to hear it. Instead of being open minded about learning, they are actually quite the opposite. YES..the top 20% awesome people bring new ways of thinking and can revolutionize processes with great ideas, and the old people like me should be open to hearing it, but not everybody is revolutionizing stuff but they THINK they are. All in all, often very un-coachable.

It's almost like "How dare this boomer think he can show me the right way to design this product, he didn't even have a cell phone until High School."

Maybe because I've designed these applications and data models 100's of times, always successfully, and oh, I also know how to talk to the leadership to get it funded and the projects or products started, and how to run a large team to deliver it, and how to get the business users to buy in and use it without screwing it up, and I've trained dozens of new hires just like you to successfully do it, and how to get it supported when there is $0 in the budget...blah blah blah.

Again, this is all conjecture and is a gross characterization. Every individual is different and brings different talents, but you get my drift.

17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Endless growth is a terrible idea. There is a correlation between economic growth and environmental destruction. We need balance. Here is a good article on the topic - https://psmag.com/magazine/fallacy-of-endless-growth

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The kids who are growing up listening to Mr. Beast instead of Mr. Rogers are not learning any valuable life lessons.

tinman likes this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Doesn't Mr. Beast promote giving away a bunch of money and helping others and being a good citizen?