1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Houston Wind.

[​IMG]

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Nice idea. I can see ESPN reporting "They Are Breaking Wind Down In Houston". Their battle cry could be "Break Like The Wind!".

3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

[QUOTE="HillBoy, post: 14193681, member: 11812"Their battle cry could be "Break Like The Wind!".[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and then get sued by Spinal Tap!

Break_Like_the_Wind.jpg

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't think rebranding the team is unrealistic. I think it makes a lot of logical sense. There is a lot if distaste towards the texans brand and name. Obviously they won't be called the Oilers. But they could be renamed a number of things, any of which are better than the "Texans." That includes a scenario where light blue is included in the color scheme.

Deep Steel Truth and kdchilds like this.
  5. KingCheetah

'Texans' is an offensive and degrading term -- it's time to enter the 21st century.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Rebranding is unrealistic. It doesn't happen. New Orleans was move to new city and changed to reflect local themes, similar to what the Titans did. Hornets just took back the name from New Orleans (with permission). Otherwise, teams do not rebrand. Rams, Cardinals, and Raiders. Some of you confusing temporary front office/coaching upheaval as a problem with the team name, colors, or logo. It is not. The Texans logo is fine as are the colors. Why are you trying to mimic a franchise that had many more failures in Houston? Nostalgia? Again, probably 40% of the Texans fanbase has no connection to the Oilers (26 years). Win and all this nostalgia goes away.

Oilers were not a franchise to mimic. Sorry, it wasn't. Just because they got to 2 AFC Champ games in the 70s and a beloved coach, is not a reason for the Texans to change. "Oh, the Texans haven't done anything...losers". Texans are entering their 21st season. You should look at NFL History and how teams did in their 1st 2 decades of existence.

Brands are built by success in sports. Changing logos, names, colors, etc...every few years doesn't do squat. Winning builds brands.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The post you responded to literally said "obviously they won't be called the Oilers."

With regard to rebrands...so what if it isn't done frequently? The question isn't if it's done frequently, but whether people prefer it be done right now for this franchise. Whether it's a good decision now for this franchise. Most decision-making criteria about corporate branding has changed a ton since most of the teams in American pro sports were created. Obviously, we aren't the decision makers on it. But people wishing the McNairs had originally chosen different team name, logo, colors, etc. leads to people now wishing they'd rebrand...particularly given the current state of things.

To me the fundamental flaw in all of this was Bob McNair saying clearly that he'd let the Cowboys be America's Team because he wanted to be Texas' team. I'd prefer they simply be Houston's team and not look like they belong in North TX/South OK. Of course I can't change it...but on a message board, I can certainly tell you I wish they would. Do I think the McNair family will change the brand? I absolutely do not. I don't have to think that's a good decision and they clearly don't have to agree with me.

This is a topic I hear brought up about the Texans by a lot by people, even when the team is good. I rarely hear someone say, "what??!! you're crazy!! the Texans brand is great!" Franchises have rebranded before...usually around a move, to be sure. But remember when Crane bought the Astros he made it very clear that it's all up for grabs...that he'd change the team name and colors if he felt like that's what the fans wanted....the fans made it pretty clear they'd be pissed if he did that. I don't believe the McNairs would get that sort of reaction if they made the same comment about the Texans' brand today, and the Astros were even lower then than the Texans are now.

Bullets became the Wizards in 1997; Oilers became the Titans in 1999 even after playing as the TN Oilers for 2 seasons; Mighty Ducks became the Ducks in 2006; Devil Rays (fish) became the Rays (sun rays) in 2008; Hornets became Pelicans in 2013; Bobcats became Hornets in 2014; Indians are now the Guardians; and the Redskins are now the Commanders. There are a host of different reasons why these teams rebranded...but saying that it doesn't happen is just not accurate.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Bullets rebranded because of violence and didn't want to be associated with it. Titans because they moved, Ducks were sold by Disney and dropped the Mighty associated with the movies. I mentioned New Orleans and Charlotte. Indians and Redskins was because of racial slur backlash.

NONE of those situations apply to the Texans. Just because you don't like the Texans' name doesn't mean it needs to be changed. There are MANY people who love the Texans' brand have NO problems with it. Some just one new uniforms, which is fine.

You may think it is a fundamental flaw in coming up with the Texans name, but Bob McNair put the money down for the team and had the right to name it whatever he wanted. The Texans logo is definitely recognizable and is a great logo. It is TEXAS. The Texans don't have a branding problem, they have a WINNING problem. If the Texans make it to a Superbowl, all this branding talk stops.

The Astros didn't have a branding problem. Crane just went back to the Astros original logos and colors after he bought the team. Drayton McLane "rebranded" the Astros logos and colors TWICE and both were OK, but people wanted the original orange and blue colors. The "tequila sunrise" uniforms were the popular throwback that Drayton McLane hated, but were a hit with the hip hop crowd/and the younger generation. Crane just restored the colors and updated the uniforms to take advantage of clamoring for original Astros colors. This is still different from the Texans.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Of course the situations are different. Every situation is different. But I gave examples where teams rebranded without moving. You say the Titans rebranded because of a move…they played 2 seasons as the Oilers, though. Other franchises moved and didn’t rebrand. We have the Jazz in Utah and the Lakers in LA…both of which make far less sense than a team called the Tennessee Oilers. My point here is that there isn’t a formula or a rule you have to stick with.

I didn’t say the Astros had a branding problem…I said that Crane was open to rebranding it entirely, and he made the fans aware of that. I was glad he didn’t, because the Astros are essentially Houston, to me, as a brand. The H Star is really the only iconic logo we have in this city for a pro sports team. My point in bringing up the Astros was only to show that we have another owner in town who made it publicly known he’d rip it all down and start over if he thought that’s what the fans wanted.

And yes…I made it very clear in the post you responded to that I understand that the McNairs don’t have to agree with me. That doesn’t change my opinion.

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Neither the dracula Rockets logo, nor the following, adult-creepy-power-rangers-inspired logo do it for you?

[​IMG]
    :D:D

MadMax likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And my point is the Texans didn't need a rebrand. The original poster had some Oiler fantasy that was never going to happen. The league RETIRED the Oilers brand at Bud Adams request, to specifically prevent Houston from getting back. He knew what happened with the Browns and was butt hurt that Houston wouldn't give him a stadium.

Just because you have a few bad season, doesn't mean you rebrand. Teams may update and change logos/colors (Buccaneers, Patriots-logo, Giants, etc), but those are not rebrands. Hell, Bucs and Patriot fans love their old logos and Giants are using their old logo for a throwback helmet.

You build your organization and if you win, logos, names, and colors become iconic (Rockets ketchup and mustard).

12. KingCheetah

Texans colors are effeminate.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Huh? Red, White and Blue is effeminate? Troll. I guess that goes for the Pats, Bills (different blue shade), and Giants (little bit of red) too?

14. KingCheetah

More like... royal dark pink, crystal frost white, and soft deep blue.

B-Bob, Two Sandwiches and DonnyMost like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Well...not yet

MadMax likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

"NONE"..."MANY"..."NO"..."TEXAS"..."WINNING"..."TWICE"..."OK"

This is so perfect for you.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I happened to like the Texans logo/helmet, especially the new red one. Uniforms need to be updated, but I think that will happen.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

With the Bootyhole Bandit gone (although his stench still lingers in the room) and the franchise exiting its 20-year nadir now seems like a great time to shake up the brand.

kdchilds and Blatz like this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Especially with the Deshaun Watson thing and the Texans settling with the women so that they didn't have to admit the fact that they enabled sexual assault multiple times.

I think we should rebrand to The White Knights and have Mr. Scarface be the mascot.

I kid, I kid.

B-Bob and DonnyMost like this.
  20. KingCheetah

Houston Californians is more accurate now anyway and Calhoun doesn't want to offend the fan base any further.

kdchilds and B-Bob like this.