1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe, but for Bayesian reasons it's simply more likely than not that Garuba isn't going to amount to much given his draft position and there wasn't a ton shown in the last year to change that.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Guys drafted in that position typically are all over the map in production. Some stars, some role player, some bench warmers and some out of the league in 4 years or less. Considering his pre-draft read was he played defense with little offense, I wouldn't use last year's sample to say he can't play defense. Odds are if he busts, it will be his offensive weaknesses.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree. Garuba can defend and rebound but he had better fix that shot if he wants to be an nba player. He just needs a reliable 3pt shot to be super useful. He’s 20, so we’ll have to wait & see

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he's gonna be back in europe by the time hes 25

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

he is about to play with national team, IF HEALTHY. I’d Shirley like to get him to RGV, get minutes and reps, then see if there’s a there there.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

LOL at people giving up on this dude at 20 years old. PJ Tucker didn't become PJ Tucker until he was 27. Draymond Green was a college senior when he was drafted. SMH

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

He graded out as the best defensively based on what?

not really saying much when we’re the worst defensive team in the NBA and hardly anyone can defend

Garuba needs to get in shape

How are u a 20 y/o NBA player trying to make it, and u got a dad bod?

D-rock, Bo6, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

They have no patience. Today is a "I want it now" society. He is a 20 year old foreigner at that. So many things to adjust to once they get over here. We just want him to be a defensive role player, we are not worried about his offense. Finish the plays around the basket and he will be fine offensively. Any type of shooting and passing we get from him in time will be a big bonus. We will see what he looks like come training camp. Im sure he will be working hard to be ready for that since he couldn't play SL.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should be in the G league all year.

DD

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

stop hating reeko especially when your god father is Silas.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m just asking questions Shook

Graded out as the best based on what? The man only played 239 minutes, and most of it was probably garbage time. Rockets twitter just be throwing anything out there

I’m not hating on him, I just have a very low opinion of him right now

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

you know exactly what you're doing.. Fat Garuba coming for you. He coming for all of you.

slothy420, Bo6 and Drift Monkey like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I"m pretty sure he's just looking at defensive bpm from basketball-reference as his "grading" - which, true he is the highest on the team, but for about a ziliion reasons, that's just silly given the miniscule sample size, the rockets as a tanking team that was just bad overall, etc.

I mean, if you use this measure of "grading out" - Joe Johnson (yup, that Joe Johnson) - "graded out" as a better defensive player on the Celtics than DPOY Marcus Smart last year, Nikola Jokic "grades out" as virtually tied with Draymond, Tacko Fall is right up there with Garuba, etc.

#715 SamFisher, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hating on Garuba on this rainy Friday afternoon?

[​IMG]

just asking questions is all

he’s more likely to come for a Patty Melt, large fries, and a Diet Coke

Bo6, i3artow i3aller and DreamShook like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s disappointing if he’s just using DBPM

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now he's "cheese&mac in Houston".

19. dmoneybangbang

The bigger issues is we have 4 FRP from 2021.

Garuba is really going to have to show something, but I’d bet on Christopher and Garuba not being long term Rockets. Can’t keep all of the FRPs we have drafted.

fattz likes this.
  20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think the staff will make that decision once they see him in training camp. If they feel he needs that extra playing time for a while then so be it. I guess we shall see, I don't care either way. I think he can add something to the team when healthy.